Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New diy alarm install

Options
  • 27-08-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi All,
    This is my first post in this particular forum, I'm delighted to find it as I think I've got most of the information I need already from it.

My house is pre wired with 5 core cable to each window and door. There are 20 windows downstairs and 5 door, there are no wires left out for pirs.

I've picked the scp 4000 based on this forum as I think it suit my needs.

Is there anywhere I can buys these online? Is there a catalogue of all the bits.
    Or if anyone can supply the system as a kit please let me know.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Don't know of anywhere online. Siemens strongly protect who supplies their products.
    Where are you located? There are plenty of suppliers around. Also consider the 4320 with web server. You will also have the ability on all these panels for wireless PiRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭selfdiy

I'm based in Galway, It doesn't have to be a siemens if there was an equivalent which is more diy friendly to get hold of that would work also..

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

HKC is DIY friendly . It's a much more basic system although there is very little in the price.. The Siemens is also much easier to programme via a web browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I'd go for the HKC quantum or 10/70 panel.
    It's easy to program and uses 2 way wireless sensors as well as Hard wired sensors . They're releasing a load of new gear the first week of October for them . The main major difference between HKCs panels and Siemens is the ability to control the siemens panel over web .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thats out in October too ;)

• Advertisement

Awesome ... Time to upgrade again

It looks like its the HKC I'll go for then, my usual electrical supplier also stock there stuff, I checked during the week.

Is it possible to install based of the directions in the manual, I had a brief look through the manual for the panel, it seemed complete but I didn't have it long enough to get any great detail from it.

Any any idea of what the new gear will be? Is it worth waiting for?

Thanks for the input so far.

The system should include the manual & all the information you need to install & program it.
    If you run into any problems you will get plenty of help here anyway.
    HKCs new items include wireless keypad & a plug on GSM. Not sure how the latest October date is progressing. They are all very quiet over there & we all know what that meant when we were waiting for the Quantum.:rolleyes:

A wireless keypad is something I need, its wired currently to the one door I don't use!

I priced what I think was a gsm dialer, I havn't got the quote in front of me but I think it was 250+vat so was planning todo without it.

At least I know I'll be able to get some assistance here if need be...

Thanks again

€250 is about right for a GSM digi.
    You may be waiting a while for the wireless keypad. What about using wireless key fobs.

• Advertisement

Your right that is a better solution with one wired and possibly get 1 or 2 keyfobs.

Its a pity there is no way have send an email via broadband, rather then having a dailer.

There is if you get yourself a cheap DVR with an SMTP server.

Great atleast there are options, I'll get back to this once I've the main install completed.

Thanks again...

If your considering that down the line then the Siemens 4320 would be the way to go. You would get an email with a link back to your panel .You could get the email to your phone and with one click be logging into your alarm.

I haven't found a supplier for the Siemens alarm... thats my main reason for looking towards the hkc....

Where are you located?

I'm located in Galway

Leave it with me. I'll see what I can find out.

Cheers appreciate it...

HKC are releasing a wireless keypad , wireless Panic button ,a plug on gsm unit which will be inside the panel and under €200 . There wireless bells will be updated to detect RF jamming . Im not 100% sure on the web control via apps or laptops but it was mentioned when I was on the phone to them .

• Advertisement

Very little info on this October date of late. Perhaps if Stephens around he could update us.

selfdiy wrote: »
    I'm located in Galway
    KoolKid wrote: »
    Leave it with me. I'll see what I can find out.

No suppliers in Galway, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭antonymous

Well, I'm all for diy alarm installs, some companies will just rip you. Afaik though, if you have a dialler/garda get called out, and it wasn't installed by a psa registered installer, then you get a hefty fine? If I'm wrong then happy days, only know this cos I worked doing installs for a local alarm co. And they mentioned this all the time (scare mongering maybe?)

Not true. You will generally only get Garda response on a verified alarm activation or a panic alarm. For Garda response the monitoring will need to be set up by a PSA licenced company anyway. Garda response is at the discretion of the Guards & they can withdraw that response if they get a number of false alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

HKC are releasing a wireless keypad , wireless Panic button ,a plug on gsm unit which will be inside the panel and under €200 . There wireless bells will be updated to detect RF jamming . Im not 100% sure on the web control via apps or laptops but it was mentioned when I was on the phone to them .

The first week in October is the release date.

altor wrote: »

The first week in October is the release date.

Advertisement