Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Irish Attacked By Hammer In Aus

• 27-08-2012 4:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

TWO Irish backpackers were seriously injured when attacked with a hammer at a St Kilda East boarding house early yesterday.
    Police said the men received head injuries in the assault, which happened at a house in Lynedoch Avenue, about 1am.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/backpackers-attacked-with-hammer-20120826-24uir.html

Aus strikes again, what is it with Aussies and there ignorant racist attitudes.
    I have done some reading about where this happened and it seems in that area there have been a lot of illegal hostels opening up in houses, as usual Aussies seem to hate the backpackers who bring money into there country.
    Well i have good news for them as the Aussies dollar is gone down against the Euro they will see a lot less backpackers and even better news there mining and real estate bubble is about to burst so they wont have to put up with more immigrants as they wont be work.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Police are on the look out for a Norse god with long blonde hair apparently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Do us a favour there Jonjo, and explain where you got the notion that "racist attitudes" have something to do with the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

TWO Irish backpackers were seriously injured when attacked with a hammer at a St Kilda East boarding house early yesterday.
    Police said the men received head injuries in the assault, which happened at a house in Lynedoch Avenue, about 1am.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/backpackers-attacked-with-hammer-20120826-24uir.html

I have done some reading about where this happened and it seems in that area there have been a lot of illegal hostels opening up in houses, as usual Aussies seem to hate the backpackers who bring money into there country.
    Well i have good news for them as the Aussies dollar is gone down against the Euro they will see a lot less backpackers and even better news there mining and real estate bubble is about to burst so they wont have to put up with more immigrants as they wont be work.

STOP! Hammer Time!

Knew he'd be back some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The Australians should cull the hammers and leave the great whites alone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

This has go to be the winner of "the most ridiculous statement I read on the 'net" for August, 2012.

The value of the dollar and random acts of violence will have no impact at all on the influx of migrants to the country in search of work and a better quality of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

If it's not sharks it's racists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

The link does not state that an Australian attacked the 2 guys. The attacker could have been from Ireland for all we know :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Nodin wrote: »
    Do us a favour there Jonjo, and explain where you got the notion that "racist attitudes" have something to do with the incident.
    Irishman goes to Australia in the hope of getting job/having a bit of craic.

Fails.

Slinks back home and slates the whole country and it's people at every opportunity on the Internet.

Fucking lol, tbh.

If it's not sharks it's racists.

Or racist sharks.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I spent a year driving around the country and every aussie I met bar a few odd balls were nice nothing racist about them at all and very similar to ourselves although they haven't a clue what were saying the Irish accent plus the speed we talk at seems to trip them up.

You're obviously gonna get a few idiots and every country in the world has them doesn't matter what nationality you are when it comes to those kind of idiots.

There seems to be this racist vibe floating into peoples minds when it comes to Australia especially when it comes to being Irish in Australia can't say I noriced that myself yes some aussies on a night oout will want a fight after a skin full of beer but as I said that's everywhere and I met plenty of Irish gob****es while I was out there gettin pissed and making muppets of themselves and we slag the English about gettin pissed and acting like lager louts.

Hopefully these two lads will be alright but as to whether it was a racist attack or they were the instigators is yet to be proved. I'd have no problem going back but wouldn't bother goin to the East coast or Sydney as it's mainly full of Irish.

Why go abroad to see lads running around in GAA jerseys thinkin they're great lads altogether.

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »

Fails.

Slinks back home and slates the whole country and it's people at every opportunity on the Internet.

Fucking lol, tbh.

That explains much, tbh. Ty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

watch the australian national hammer association try to spin this as an issue of hammer rights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Or racist sharks.

WHITE POWER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Or racist sharks.

They're the worst.

They're the worst.

Ever wonder why ye never heard of a Great Black Shark? Now ye know.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

St. Kilda is the backpacker area outside Melbourne.

There are a lot of drug problems in the area from my recollection.

Lots of meth addicts roaming around the place like zombies when I was there. Sorta mixed up with backpackers and people looking for backpacker jobs, hostels and the like.

It was quite unsettling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The moral of the story is to duck when people are putting up shelves in Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

A friend of mine is in St Kilda at the moment, and another old mate, from Ballymun in Dublin, who went out there 20yrs ago, is now an Aussie Police Officer in Melbourne.

I'm waiting to hear it from someone who might know before I'm convinced there was anything racist about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He wanted craic but got crack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

St. Kilda is the backpacker area outside Melbourne.

There are a lot of drug problems in the area from my recollection.

Lots of meth addicts roaming around the place like zombies when I was there. Sorta mixed up with backpackers and people looking for backpacker jobs, hostels and the like.

It was quite unsettling.

Summs it up quite well.

I stayed in a backpackers 'hotel' in St Kilda for 4 months (All Nations)

Its basically a seaside suburb of Melbourne, attracts a few hippies/drug dealers, lots of backpackers, and of course Aussies who have been born and bred in the area.

On the whole, it was a safe enough area, just relies on the people frequenting it to keep the wits about them, especially at the weekends/night time when booze and pot smoking lets judgements slip.

FWIW, Australia, is a wonderful country, it definitely would be on the top of my list for places I'd like to settle down in (I'd be more inclined to go to WA though, Perth or one of its suburbs)

Australians, in general are extremely welcoming people, and generally tolerant of other nationalities and religions (with such an influx of immigrants they'd need to be)

Sadly though, just like Ireland/England (insert any country in the world here) it has its fair share of arseholes too, thankfully though, they're well in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

mind bogglingly silly attitude, those poor lads could have been assulted the same way here, your post has no grounds no matter "how much youve read"

its a fantastic country with wonderful people, this type of thing happens to every nationality every day of the week sadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I don't have anything to back this up and I don't like saying it but maybe the two lads put in for this? Nobody deserves what happened to the two of them and your man who did it is a filthy scumbag but maybe they weren't completely innocent either?

deccurley wrote: »
    I don't have anything to back this up and I don't like saying it but maybe the two lads put in for this? Nobody deserves what happened to the two of them and your man who did it is a filthy scumbag but maybe they weren't completely innocent either?

And this is based on.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Koshea

I'm the only one that read the title thinking there was an "N" left out in Aus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

deccurley wrote: »

I don't have anything to back this up but I heard you're wanted for multiple accounts of assault? I don't like saying it either obviously...:rolleyes:

Koshea wrote: »

What would an "N" have achieved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

What is it with you and your anti-Australian rants? Did you get bitten by a Koala as a child?
    Every country has its share of assholes, should all Germans hate Ireland and the Irish because Bettina Boeschel was murdered here? Should all Swiss hate the Irish because Manuela Reido was murdered here?
    Time OP you declared your real agenda, and your generalised claim that all Australians are ignorant racists is beneath contempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Another laughable contribution from the OP. He's consistent though, I'll give him that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

I really liked St Kilda, thought it was a real melting pot. Sure, the place was full of back packers and more than its fair share of junkies, and the working girls on Grey St, also the working Trannies at Luna park but it also had a lot of average joe's, a lot of yuppies and a general good cross section.
    Some of my happiest memories from my 20's were sitting outside the Espie, every time I did so I would always end up talking to an old hippy/aboriginie/backpacker/part time model/musician etc etc, anyone at all

Then the Prince of Wales, you sit outside there and it's a biker bar with a lot of don't **** with me Hells Angels and Bandito's, then you go inside and it's a gay bar!

I loved the mix and the contrasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Koshea wrote: »

What would an "N" have achieved?

A throbbing hole I'd say....

mauzo wrote: »
    A throbbing hole I'd say....

Ah the pennies dropped :D. Jaysus some folks minds really do spin on a different cog :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Has this been posted? I deserve a ban either way.

I really liked St Kilda, thought it was a real melting pot. Sure, the place was full of back packers and more than its fair share of junkies, and the working girls on Grey St, also the working Trannies at Luna park but it also had a lot of average joe's, a lot of yuppies and a general good cross section.
    Some of my happiest memories from my 20's were sitting outside the Espie, every time I did so I would always end up talking to an old hippy/aboriginie/backpacker/part time model/musician etc etc, anyone at all

Then the Prince of Wales, you sit outside there and it's a biker bar with a lot of don't **** with me Hells Angels and Bandito's, then you go inside and it's a gay bar!

I loved the mix and the contrasts

You're sure that wasn't the Blue Oyster?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

A hammer-headed shark was detained by police in St Kilda last night.

In a statement issued via his solicitor this morning, he said his actions were a demonstration of solidarity with his great white shark cousins and a protest against the proposed shark cull.

"I didn't know them blokes was Irish mate, youse humans all look the same to us sharkies and I was out of me depth anyway. I still can't fathom the need for the cull, it's not like youse will miss the odd snack-box or two."

Locals praised the police for their actions as if the shark had been free for longer, they could have been looking into the depths of a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

This OP has a real vendetta against Australia and its people it seems just by seeing his posting history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Fails.

Fucking lol, tbh.
    Was thinking the exact same thing. I know of a few people with that ignorant attitude who also came back.

Go over looking for work, cant get it/has too much craic/doesn't impress in interviews, forgets to look for work, funds dry up, back to ireland within a month.

Slates Oz at any chance they can get from then on, because they "didnt give me work in Oz because I was FOREIGN!!! RACISTS!!!" etc.

I swear this guy scans the internet for articles of incidents in Aus, and keeps posting them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Digitalism wrote: »
    Was thinking the exact same thing. I know of a few people with that ignorant attitude who also came back.

Go over looking for work, cant get it/has too much craic/doesn't impress in interviews, forgets to look for work, funds dry up, back to ireland within a month.

Slates Oz at any chance they can get from then on, because they "didnt give me work in Oz because I was FOREIGN!!! RACISTS!!!" etc.

I swear this guy scans the internet for articles of incidents in Aus, and keeps posting them.

maybe he had a bad experience of Australian racism?
    i must admit the Australians i have met were extremely racist in their attitudes. now before you all get uppity i'm sure there are many well rounded, fair-minded, forgiving Aussie types.
    Sadly i've never met them ..........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whatever73

maybe he had a bad experience of Australian racism?
    i must admit the Australians i have met were extremely racist in their attitudes. now before you all get uppity i'm sure there are many well rounded, fair-minded, forgiving Aussie types.
    Sadly i've never met them ..........:(

Same as, met lots of racists over the last 3 years over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fails.

Fucking lol, tbh.

A superb summation, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

This. Of course. I'll go now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

i heard the two lads stopped the aussie lad from attacking a girl in the hostel, hope the irish lads condition improves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

i heard the two lads stopped the aussie lad from attacking a girl in the hostel, hope the irish lads condition improves

Heard it where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

2 Irish Attacked By Hammer In Aus

Read this in a Schwarzenegger voice................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

FYP for future use.
    Irishman goes to Australia Canada in the hope of getting job/having a bit of craic.

Fails.

Fucking lol, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

mackg wrote: »
    Heard it where?

reporter said on radio nova this morning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

St Kilda was lovely I thought. It's not in the least bit rough, there are a few "deros" alright but if you think it is boy you should get out more! Yes the OP hates Ozzy, used to complain about even the bread there if I remember correctly, ffs.

whatever73 wrote: »
    Same as, met lots of racists over the last 3 years over here

you'll meet narrow-minded bigots everywhere, but Australia does tend to have a large proportion from my experience.
    i know it's a bit of a national stereotype but personally i ones i have encountered have been loutish, uninteresting, and boorish.

that said i'm sure there are a few decent ones, but they do require seeking out i'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

As I orig suspected, there was nothing racist about this.

My mate, Irish, and a Copper there, just sent me this, verbatim..
    They were living in some kind of boarding house, of which there are quite a few in St Kilda. St Kilda is a trendy touristy spot but also has a bit of an underbelly, was a very big drugs/prostitution area in the past and there is still a lot of that. Don't have much inside information, appears they were battered by another tennant of the boarding house who used a hammer. Both pretty badly injured from what I hear. Don't know if it's the case with this one but you get a lot of released prisoners going into these places and a lot of people with psych issues.

end

marcsignal wrote: »
    As I orig suspected, there was nothing racist about this.

My mate, Irish, and a Copper there, just sent me this, verbatim..

end

apparently he also has an erectile dysfunction issue.
    just what you want to be living beside, a psycho who can't get it up yielding a hammer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement