Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Irish Attacked By Hammer In Aus

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

R.I.P. to David Greene who has died in hospital. I have to say I am curious to know why The Irish Independent (the website, at least) has chosen the picture they have of the victim. It seems to be a very Facebook/party night out photo. Maybe the family have suggested it, I don't know. I know lots of people like to remember those who have passed with a happy picture showing the person in their prime, or having a good time etc., but I find it a little odd when it is the press that uses those kind of pictures (again, maybe some are okayed by family).

I know where we are (AH) as I searched for this thread before I started another so I know where it may descend to. I don't intend it to go that way, the poor chap has died in horrible circumstances but I would like to hear others opinions on the style of picture used by the Indo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

R.I.P Dave,you will be missed,never a quiet moment when you were around,such a waste of a life that was being lived to the max,sleep well my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

indo wrote:
    David Byas (30), also from Dublin, who was also seriously injured, was discharged from hospital earlier this week.
    :eek:
    I went to school with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

R.I.P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

RIP.

can't help but feel the anti-Irish racism that pervades Australia didn't play some part in this dreadful attack. very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

RIP.

can't help but feel the anti-Irish racism that pervades Australia didn't play some part in this dreadful attack. very sad.

Theres no evidence of that whatsoever.

Nodin wrote: »
    Theres no evidence of that whatsoever.

there is no evidence that it was not!

there is no evidence that it was not!

....dear jesus spare me.

To make an assertion, you have to have some evidence. Wheres yours?

idiots like this guy need very little encouragement. a febrile atmosphere of xenophobia, fueled by right-wing politicians and radio show hosts would more than provide him with enough.

lose words cost lives.

• Advertisement

.............idiots like this guy need very little encouragement. a febrile atmosphere of xenophobia, fueled by right-wing politicians and radio show hosts would more than provide him with enough.
    lose words cost lives.

Really? Doesn't seem to have held you back at all.
    i'm not saying there are no Irish singing-on. of course there are, and many of them are scammers too.

but youl'd be hard pressed to hear them above all the foreign accents.

i asked the girl behind the counter was that day a special/designated day for foreigners to sign-on? she looked at me like i was mad and said no it was like this all the time.

sorry if the truth doesn't go down too well
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80035673
    ..........take a walk down to your local Post Office any signing-on day, and you'll be lucky to hear an Irish accent.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80035279&postcount=79

Wheres your evidence that killing was linked to anti-irish xenophobia?

i am not a politician nor am i a host of a radio show.
    i am a private citizen with personal views and opinions.
    i doubt aspiring murderers will be influenced by my opinions on boards.ie, then again you seem to be very exercised by them?!!!!!:eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Please hammer don't hurt 'em

..which you're expressing on a public forum, thus possibly contributing to - as you put it - "a febrile atmosphere of xenophobia". And didn't you also say "idiots like this guy need very little encouragement"?

And again - where is your evidence that the "anti-Irish racism that pervades Australia" had some bearing on this attack?

Better yet, wheres your evidence that anti-Irish racism pervades Australia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I knew of Davy, drank with him a few times. My girlfriend knew him since they were 4.

Terrible way to go out. R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

..which you're expressing on a public forum, thus possibly contributing to - as you put it - "a febrile atmosphere of xenophobia". And didn't you also say "idiots like this guy need very little encouragement"?

And again - where is your evidence that the "anti-Irish racism that pervades Australia" had some bearing on this attack?

Better yet, wheres your evidence that anti-Irish racism pervades Australia?

Pardon the pun, but you've rightly hammered him in this little exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

All kidding aside, regardless of motives or anything else, RIP. Such a horrific way to meet your end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Shryke wrote: »
    Has this been posted? I deserve a ban either way.

wasn't that song for the Inland Revenue Service?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

re some of the ranting.

Ozzies* are no more or less racist than the Irish.

But i do fear that might change if Paddy keeps having fun down under, the tabloid press being well, the tabloid press. (and of course, occasionally el Paddo does go too far)

Still though, as tolerant a bunch as the Irish are...

* here I am referring to Australians, not Karen and the deadheads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Two irish attacked by Hammer. Did they touch it after he told them they cant touch this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

i doubt aspiring murderers will be influenced by my opinions on boards.ie, then again you seem to be very exercised by them?!!!!!:eek:
    You're talking bollix. That annoys people.

Just my 2 cents. No offence intended.

Hope this helps...

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    You're talking bollix. That annoys people.

Just my 2 cents. No offence intended.

Hope this helps...

you obviously are talkin outta ur arse!
    hope this helps!;)

you obviously are talkin outta ur arse!
    hope this helps!;)
    There you go! You're doing it again! Only with worse spelling! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Honestly, those who are still making Hammer jokes, after a young man has died, are vile pieces of sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

daRobot wrote: »
    Honestly, those who are still making Hammer jokes, after a young man has died, are vile pieces of sh*t.

Agreed, but then you have to pity people that are old enough to type but unable to grasp the idea of tact.

The jokes aren't funny, they are lame and pathetic. :rolleyes:

i see the idiot that attacked these guys has been charged with murder.
    it will be interesting to see how the Australian justice system deals with this one.

i see the idiot that attacked these guys has been charged with murder.
    it will be interesting to see how the Australian justice system deals with this one.
    Very similarly to the Irish one. Interestingly, both systems have their roots in British common law.

He'll be invited to respond to the charge. If he pleads guilty, he'll be sentenced and handed a tariff according to the Australian legal code. If he pleads not guilty he'll be tried in an open court and will offer a defence in front of a nominated jury of his peers. The jury will decide his guilt or otherwise depending on the evidence presented v his defence. If found not guilty, he will be released. If guilty he will be sentenced. Again, according to the Australian legal code.

It's Australia. Not Mars.

Here. Try this: http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/legal_system.html

with Australia's history of institutional racism, I wouldn't be overly confident.

with Australia's history of institutional racism, I wouldn't be overly confident.

You've evidence of this in similar circumstances? Or are you just talking shite again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

You've evidence of this in similar circumstances? Or are you just talking shite again?

'Sustained!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

even better news there mining and real estate bubble is about to burst
    fuck's sake Jonjo.

Ah yeah, lots of young Irish guys with one less outlet for a job, with already scant emigration opportunities. You must be euphoric in anticipation of the latest scheduled economic doom.

• Advertisement

Why ask me?

a University of NSW conducted a survey and found, "83.1% recognised that there was a problem with racism in Australia.":eek:

Why ask me?

Because you brought it up.
    a University of NSW conducted a survey and found, "83.1% recognised that there was a problem with racism in Australia.":eek:

"in similar circumstances"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Why ask me?

That has nothing to do with "institutionalised racism".

You could say that there is a problem with racism in Ireland but that doesn't automatically mean that our justice system is racist.

"similar circumstances"???

no i don't believe this guy has been charged with the murder of an Irish person before.

"similar circumstances"???

no i don't believe this guy has been charged with the murder of an Irish person before.

Try answering the question.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with "institutionalised racism".

You could say that there is a problem with racism in Ireland but that doesn't automatically mean that our justice system is racist.

i think you'll find that institutional racism is alive 'n well down under, and not just within their judicial system.

of course this may not rest easy with your simplistic view of the world.

Try answering the question.

just did moron.

i think you'll find that institutional racism is alive 'n well down under, and not just within their judicial system.

of course this may not rest easy with your simplistic view of the world.

Have you any evidence of "instituional racism" in Australia in a similar trial involving an Irish person?

But that figure that you mentioned doesn't relate to "institutionalised racism".

• Advertisement

Have you any evidence of "instituional racism" in Australia in a similar trial involving an Irish person?

institutional racism is endemic across many organs of state in Australia, not just the judiciary.

it will be interesting to see how this trial plays out.

But that figure that you mentioned doesn't relate to "institutionalised racism".

no but it demonstrates that racism is alive 'n well down under.
    as if we needed a survey to tell us.:rolleyes:

institutional racism is endemic across many organs of state in Australia, not just the judiciary.

it will be interesting to see how this trial plays out.

Do you have any evidence of "institutional racism" in Australia in a similar trial involving an Irish person?

Do you have any evidence of "institutional racism" in Australia's judicial system against the Irish at all?

no but it demonstrates that racism is alive 'n well down under.
    as if we needed a survey to tell us.:rolleyes:
    No. It tells us that some Austrailians believed there to be a problem with racism...

... almost 10 years ago.

Do you have any evidence of "institutional racism" in Australia in a similar trial involving an Irish person?

Do you have any evidence of "institutional racism" in Australia's judicial system against the Irish at all?

so moron you're denying institutional racism exists in Australia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

just did moron.
    Oh what a deeply intellectual and coherent response.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

so moron you're denying institutional racism exists in Australia?
    Banned.

Oh. I see where you're coming from goodie. Apologies.

White guy carries out a brutal unprovoked attack on two white guys. One white guy dies. White guy is charged with the assault on two white guys and the subsequent death of one of the white guys.

Am I following you correctly?

Have you ever met an Australian, or were you frightened by Rolf Harris as a child?

If you've an actual point to make, to paraphrase the great Rolf, 'I can't see what it is yet'...

Advertisement