Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rights over a television

• 27-08-2012 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

So a year ago I moved into an apartment and my friend at the time said he would give me a TV he got for free for the apartment. We lost contact but he had told me that if he ever was going to sell it he would sell it to me for €50. He came back a couple months ago asking for €150. I said no cause he told me I only had to pay €50. He said he would let me keep it "for now" and said he would get back to me about it. It's been in the apartment for a year now but I get the feeling he will come back to get it and ask me to buy it. Do I have any legal right over it? I don't think I do but I wanted to make sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

irishsatch wrote: »
    So a year ago I moved into an apartment and my friend at the time said he would give me a TV he got for free for the apartment.

In exchange for the apartment?
    We lost contact but he had told me that if he ever was going to sell it he would sell it to me for €50.

I thought he was giving it to you for free?
    He came back a couple months ago asking for €150. I said no cause he told me I only had to pay €50. He said he would let me keep it "for now" and said he would get back to me about it. It's been in the apartment for a year now but I get the feeling he will come back to get it and ask me to buy it. Do I have any legal right over it? I don't think I do but I wanted to make sure.

Depends if you've provided anything in return for it I guess - its not exactly clear what's going on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

If he wants it back, give it to him. If he wants €150, tell hin to take the TV, as you are not paying. Thank him for the kind loan of his TV. Go to Tesco and get a new one. 150 will get a surprisingly good one these days. Prices have fallen a lot and you will have a guarantee. Not worth the hassle of a complex ongoing situation, in my opinion. M in Cavan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

In exchange for the apartment?

No, not in exchange for the apartment. I think he means that when he moved in his friend said "I have a TV I got for free, you can have it for the apartment. If you want to buy it you can have it for €50".

This offer was never accepted, the friend amended his offer (before the €50 offer was accepted) thus cancelling the initial offer of the TV for €50.

So O.P. you are;

a) Not entitled to the TV for €50, and
    b) Not entitled to the TV for FREE.

Advertisement