Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaelscoil dip (primary) -Giz a look at yours?:)

• 27-08-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭

I'm starting a maternity leave cover position this week, which is great, and I should have sufficient days to do my dip.

(Yay!)

It's with second class in a Gaelscoil, which was my preference, but I'd love to get my hands on someone else's dip notes as Gaeilge, ideally for the same class, to get a handle on what's involved. Seems to be hard enough to get any concrete info on what should be a well, well, well-worn path at this stage.

Any tips or leads?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You want someone else to do your work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

spurious wrote: »
    You want someone else to do your work?

No, but I don't need to re-invent another wheel. Every class, and therefore dip is different, but can you understand that the perusal of the work of others would be a helpful guide??

Course if you're offering to do my dip for me, then I graciously accept. Milk and no sugar in my tea, thanks.:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You will need to talk with your inspector to see what exactly they are looking for. You will need long term plans,weekly notes and a cúntas míosúil as well as whatever your cigire wants. No-one else can do that for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

As was said, every inspector is different.

As was said, every inspector is different.

So completely different as to make it of no use whatsoever to me to see how any other teacher in the past might have approached the teaching of a standardised curriculum to a 2nd class grouping?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

fat bloke wrote: »
    No, but I don't need to re-invent another wheel. Every class, and therefore dip is different, but can you understand that the perusal of the work of others would be a helpful guide??

Course if you're offering to do my dip for me, then I graciously accept. Milk and no sugar in my tea, thanks.:pac:

Exactly, which is why you should figure out how to do your own class planning. No one is going to want to give you all the notes they slaved over so you can copy them....

Exactly, which is why you should figure out how to do your own class planning. No one is going to want to give you all the notes they slaved over so you can copy them....

I have to say, it's not the first time I've come across this "Fcuk you Jack" attitude, and I did expect some of the same when I posted the thread, but perhaps not quite so immediate and vehement. It's not something I understand I have to say. And if, as you say, each dip is different (and they are) how could anyone possibly copy anyone else's anyway by that very definition?

I have given my TP notes in their entirety to anyone who wanted them, and next year when my dip is done I'd have absolutely no problem whatsoever in making any dip notes of mine available to anyone embarking down the same road.

Anyway. No bother. Sin é mo scéalsa. I'll leave it at that, thanks for all your help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No-one is saying "F.off", what people are saying is that it depends on the class,school,inspector, school policy/plans. I'm sure your new staff will give you some guidance but you need to see what the cigire in your area wants too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I can't help here because I'm a)not a primary teacher and b) not a gaelscoil teacher but I've shared my music department plans with friends in other schools and received theirs too. It's very useful to read through and excellent experience to see what other schools are doing. And yes the first time I did up a subject department folder I was given one by a friend to structure mine on.
    I'm not sure why this thread jumped straight to assuming the OP wanted them to copy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Talk to the teachers in the school. The plans might well be done out already. The teacher you're replacing should have had plans and I imagine they should have been filed with the school. If she hasn't done so, chances are someone else has in the past.
    You will of course have to make your own plans anyway.

While I agree that you are essentially being told to f off by most of the people in this thread, that's hardly surprising given the tone of your initial request. If you'd asked for advice and where to get examples of such plans then you might not have had such a cold reception. As it stands, it does look like you want a ready made plan that you can just put your name on.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying that it's inexperience and naivity on your part but as you've alluded to yourself, teachers don't tend to like sharing notes etc. with people they don't know (and even people they do know in some cases). It's in your colleagues' interests to help you though since if you do a bad job, they'll have to clean up the mess after you're gone so they're the ones you should ask. They know what's expected in that school so forget about everyone else and talk to your new colleagues.

And be more careful how you word any future requests for help.
    Go n-éirí leat.

• Advertisement

I can't help here because I'm a)not a primary teacher and b) not a gaelscoil teacher but I've shared my music department plans with friends in other schools and received theirs too. It's very useful to read through and excellent experience to see what other schools are doing. And yes the first time I did up a subject department folder I was given one by a friend to structure mine on.
    I'm not sure why this thread jumped straight to assuming the OP wanted them to copy?

Surely the OP should be looking at the class they have been given, asking the class teacher about their ability, students with special needs, methodologies which are used within that school or by that teacher specifically and tailoring their lessons to suit rather than using someone else's as a guide which were written for another class. Also seeing what the school already have in the form of plans first?

RealJohn wrote: »

While I agree that you are essentially being told to f off by most of the people in this thread, that's hardly surprising given the tone of your initial request. If you'd asked for advice and where to get examples of such plans then you might not have had such a cold reception. As it stands, it does look like you want a ready made plan that you can just put your name on.

This is exactly what I thought. Giz a look at your notes basically says to me 'can I copy your work, can't be arsed doing it myself.' asking for the notes for a well worn path says 'loads of people must have this done, i'll just get their work and save myself the hassle'. A please or thank you wouldn't go amiss either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Surely the OP should be looking at the class they have been given, asking the class teacher about their ability, students with special needs, methodologies which are used within that school or by that teacher specifically and tailoring their lessons to suit rather than using someone else's as a guide which were written for another class. Also seeing what the school already have in the form of plans first?

Agreed and as I said I'm not a primary teacher but I would assume that there is a more or less standard curriculum for 2nd class? Obviously it would need to be tailored but as the op seems to be a fairly new teacher seeing some samples of the plan may be of benefit

Having said that I don't like the tone of the title of the thread although the op itself is fairly ok

Advertisement