Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flue Liner for little stove

Options
  • 27-08-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

an anyone take a look at this little stove and tell me what or how i would go about fixing a flue liner to it...this is early 1970's home that im trying to semi make livable..im in my 20's and single so im not too worried about aestetics too much...

cheap and reliable and safe is all im after..

Would i have to get a long flue to send down the old block chimeny or can i fiddle around with a few u bends and connect straight from stove to that metal flue you see coming out in the pics

Any help will be greatly appreciated as im litterally trying to move in there asap.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Pethartes -In order to offer advice it would be helpfull to know....
    1) hieght of stove(floor/hearth to top face of stove]?
    2) distance between floor/hearth and bottom of exposed pipe sticking out of wall?
    3) Internal and external diameters of stove spigot?
    4) Internal diameter of existing flue?
    5) Is there a 'stop' within the spigot,that stops the flue sliding too far into the stove?
    6) What is the existing flue? - put hand in/ use torch and small mirror/look down from top of chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

I can see the temptation to fit a 90 degree bend from the top of the stove into the pipe coming out of the wall, yes I have seen this tried one gent even cut the stove legs make it fit, Please don't try that.

You want a stove pipe (vitreous enamel) rising a minimum 600mm off the top of the stove before fitting any bends, I prefer 1 metre before any bend.

Do not use a 90 degree bend, use a 45 degree bend to enter the chimney breast.

Especially in an old chimney you should use a flexible twin wall flue liner and back fill with vermiculite, you can get an adapter to join the flexi to the vitreous enamel stove pipe.

When buying flexible flue liner it is important to ensure that you get the correct type, the cheaper types are for gas and oil appliances which have a very low flue gas (smoke) temperature, tell your supplier you want it for a wood burning stove.

Advertisement