Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabouts - Third exit at 12 O'Clock

Options
  • 27-08-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hello there,

I'm a wee bit confused about roundabouts still.

If the third exit is at 12 o'clock do you approach it in the right lane? I read that for any exits up to and including 12 o'clock you take the left lane, but have now been told differently.

Can anyone advise please?!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clanpiper

Bishmilla wrote: »
    Hello there,

If the third exit is at 12 o'clock do you approach it in the right lane? I read that for any exits up to and including 12 o'clock you take the left lane, but have now been told differently.

For a standard 4 exit roundabout you approach in the left lane for exits 1 or 2 (unless road markings or signs tell you otherwise). For exits 3 and upwards (regardless as to whether they are at 12 oclock) you would normally approach in the right lane (unless road markings or signs tell you otherwise). I presume there are only 2 lanes on the approach to the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LDC ADI 34490

Hello there,

If the exit is at 12 o'clock you approach in the left lane regardless of what number exit it is. The only time you will not approach in the left lane when going straight is if there is an obstacle in the left lane or if road markings tell you otherwise.

See the roundabout video at http://leinsterdrivingcampus.ie/index.php/video-tutorials-driving-lessons-dublin

Padraic

clanpiper wrote: »
    For exits 3 and upwards (regardless as to whether they are at 12 oclock) you would normally approach in the right lane (unless road markings or signs tell you otherwise)

This is incorrect advice or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

[

For a standard 4 exit roundabout you approach in the left lane for exits 1 or 2 (unless road markings or signs tell you otherwise). For exits 3 and upwards (regardless as to whether they are at 12 oclock) you would normally approach in the right lane (unless road markings or signs tell you otherwise). I presume there are only 2 lanes on the approach to the roundabout.
    This is incorrect. The general rule would be left lane for straight ahead (12 o'clock)

This is incorrect advice or am I missing something?

You may be missing something.

Letterkenny - 'Penney's' Roundabout, approaching from 'Pearse Road'. Third exit is '12 O'Clock'. Left lane for exits 1 and 2, right lane for exits 3 upwards. There are no road markings or signage to tell you any different.

Outskirts of Derry (same rules apply with regards to roundabouts) on approach to 'B&Q' - exits 1 and 2 approach in left lane, exits 3 and 4 in right lane. Exit 3 at 12 O'Clock here also.

If you did it any different here you could end up in all sorts of bother.

• Advertisement

Here is a similar roundabout in Galway. Coming from Bohermore to Tuam Rd if you are taking the 12 O'Clock exit i.e. Tuam Rd in the left lane you can expect problems from traffic in the right lane taking the same exit.

It seems that local knowledge might prevail here.

roundabout tuamrd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

Here is a similar roundabout in Galway. Coming from Bohermore to Tuam Rd if you are taking the 12 O'Clock exit i.e. Tuam Rd in the left lane you can expect problems from traffic in the right lane taking the same exit.

It seems that local knowledge might prevail here.

roundabout tuamrd.jpg
    That round about has always made me so stressed, many people seem to use the left lane to go straight on (3rd exit) and the right lane for subsequent exit.

One that confuses me everytime is where you're driving from Oranmore on the dual carraigeway near the galway clinic, the second exit is at 2 O'clock, what lane do I use to take this exit?

http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.2792,-8.971978&spn=0.004766,0.009602&t=h&z=17

yer man! wrote: »
    That round about has always made me so stressed, many people seem to use the left lane to go straight on (3rd exit) and the right lane for subsequent exit.

One that confuses me everytime is where you're driving from Oranmore on the dual carraigeway near the galway clinic, the second exit is at 2 O'clock, what lane do I use to take this exit?

The exit you would be taking would be exit 2 so unless road markings or signs tell you otherwise you would be in the left lane.

You may be missing something.

Letterkenny - 'Penney's' Roundabout, approaching from 'Pearse Road'. Third exit is '12 O'Clock'. Left lane for exits 1 and 2, right lane for exits 3 upwards. There are no road markings or signage to tell you any different.

Outskirts of Derry (same rules apply with regards to roundabouts) on approach to 'B&Q' - exits 1 and 2 approach in left lane, exits 3 and 4 in right lane. Exit 3 at 12 O'Clock here also.

If you did it any different here you could end up in all sorts of bother.

I'm not familiar with either roundabout. Are they on a test route? If so the above advice will definitely result in the driver picking up faults (more than likely a Grade 3) on the driving test.

Padraic

The people using the left lane are correct.

If it's after 12pm approach in the right hand lane regardless of which number exit it is (unless there is an obstacle in the left lane or unless road markings tell you otherwise)

Any other course of action will result in a fault on the driving test.

Padraic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

When did they switch the driving test from 1st, 2nd, 3rd exit, to clock positions?

A million years ago, we were always taught by exit numbers, so if there were two lanes, it was left for the 1st and 2nd exits, and right for 3rd and all subsequent exits, regardless of where they appeared on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

Thoie wrote: »
    When did they switch the driving test from 1st, 2nd, 3rd exit, to clock positions?

A million years ago, we were always taught by exit numbers, so if there were two lanes, it was left for the 1st and 2nd exits, and right for 3rd and all subsequent exits, regardless of where they appeared on the clock.

This is what I was taught when I did my lessons and test (about 11 years ago).

I'm not familiar with either roundabout. Are they on a test route? If so the above advice will definitely result in the driver picking up faults (more than likely a Grade 3) on the driving test.

Padraic

branch roundabout.jpg

Coming from Buncrana Road - Left lane for exits 1 and 2, right lane for exits 3 (A2) and 4.

I would put a screenshot of the Letterkenny one in as well but Google still have L'kenny under a giant cloud.

TheBody wrote: »
    This is what I was taught when I did my lessons and test (about 11 years ago).

Since the RSA came to be, many things have changed over the last number of years with regards to road safety.

If you look at any given roundabout in the country at least 50% of people will approach in the wrong lane with the incorrect indicator or no indicator at all. Roundabouts are a more common road feature now than they were years ago. Many people sat and passed their driving test without encountering a roundabout on the given test route. Recently the RSA actually recommended that full licence holders have a refresher driving lesson with their local ADI, you can imagine that didn't go down to well :)

Roundabouts were always a grey area so it became best practice to structure the roundabout as a clock. The rules are quite simple.

Here is the RSA's own video released last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rsdaSTOkWk

Padraic

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bishmilla

hey, OP here. Having read all your replies I am more confused than ever. Can someone please advise at this roundabout? It is the first roundabout on leaving the test centre. So at the first roundabout, heading straight through the roundabout along the N69 towards the dock road, it is the third exit, so do I take the left lane or the right?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=dock+road+limerick+ireland&hl=en&ll=52.644847,-8.667097&spn=0.007122,0.021136&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.735377,86.572266&hnear=Dock+Rd,+Limerick,+County+Limerick,+Ireland&t=m&z=16

Thanks!

hey, OP here. Having read all your replies I am more confused than ever. Can someone please advise at this roundabout? It is the first roundabout on leaving the test centre. So at the first roundabout, heading straight through the roundabout along the N69 towards the dock road, it is the third exit, so do I take the left lane or the right?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=dock+road+limerick+ireland&hl=en&ll=52.644847,-8.667097&spn=0.007122,0.021136&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.735377,86.572266&hnear=Dock+Rd,+Limerick,+County+Limerick,+Ireland&t=m&z=16

Thanks!

100% left lane. Anything else and I can guarantee you will pick up a fault. If the exit is 12pm (which from the map it looks to be) then left lane and don't signal left till mid way passed 2nd exit.

Trust me. This is what I do for a living ;)

Padraic

Hi Padraic,

Thanks, that's what I thought too and had been doing that prior to my EDT lessons but my ADI told me to take the right lane!!

This does not bode well for my test...

Hi Padraic,

Thanks, that's what I thought too and had been doing that prior to my EDT lessons but my ADI told me to take the right lane!!

This does not bode well for my test...

Ask your ADI to explain why they told you to use the right hand lane. I'd be very curious to hear the reasoning behind it.

Anyway best of luck with your driving test.

Padraic

I asked my ADI loads of times about this roundabout, as it seemed a little strange to me and he maintained that the right lane is the correct one.

His logic was that the left lane would be too congested if people used it for the third exit as well as the first and second exit, and the traffic would not flow as easily.

I think i'll have to have a few more lessons with a new ADI to clarify a few things...

Thanks for your input!

Is there any RSA documentation that we can get a definative answer from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Always pay attention to the signs too re: 12 o'clock exits. If the exit is after 12 then you use the right-hand lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

TheBody wrote: »
    Is there any RSA documentation that we can get a definative answer from?
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Leaflets/Leaf_booklets/Roundabouts_DL_2012_v3.pdf

loobylou wrote: »

I stand corrected and thanks to loobylou for the link. Best of luck OP on your test.

LDC - thanks for your insistence otherwise that link wouldn't have surfaced. The two roundabouts I quoted would result in carnage if this rule was taken as gospel. Unfortunately custom and practice tends to overwrite the rules on occasion. I will listen to you a little more in the future. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Since the RSA came to be, many things have changed over the last number of years with regards to road safety.

If you look at any given roundabout in the country at least 50% of people will approach in the wrong lane with the incorrect indicator or no indicator at all. Roundabouts are a more common road feature now than they were years ago. Many people sat and passed their driving test without encountering a roundabout on the given test route. Recently the RSA actually recommended that full licence holders have a refresher driving lesson with their local ADI, you can imagine that didn't go down to well :)

Roundabouts were always a grey area so it became best practice to structure the roundabout as a clock. The rules are quite simple.

Here is the RSA's own video released last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rsdaSTOkWk

Padraic

I'm not quite that old - there were roundabouts on my test - one of them even had more than 4 exits iirc (the excitement!). I've actually considered booking a "driving lesson" to see if I've picked up bad habits over the years (I like to think I haven't, but 90% of us think we're above average), but thought most instructors would think you were insane for doing so.

You'd think with all their talk that the RSA might send out leaflets/booklets to everyone with a license more than x years old, or to be given when your license is renewed.

Advertisement