Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nail cutting

• 27-08-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any tips for cutting a dogs nails. I've always cut my dogs nails and never had a problem. But our JR pup is not having any of it. We've tried to distract her, tried doing it while she's sleeping but no way is she letting us. i rang the vet and they said they will do it for 25 euro. I really dont have 25 euro to spare if I can help it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Are you near any of the large petshops that offer grooming? Petmania/Equipet?

I'm pretty sure when this was asked before a groomer in one of those would do them for €5.

Have they ever been done OP? Did the breeder ever trim them? If they were clipped too much and caused the nail to bleed maybe that's why the pup is having none of it. If they've never been done I don't see why the pup is putting up such a struggle as it's a new thing for him - unless he wasn't handled enough as a young pup and is wary of humans full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

25 euro is outrageous just to clip nails, my groomer clips my dogs nails for 2.50, just ring around some of the local groomers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Are you near any of the large petshops that offer grooming? Petmania/Equipet?

I'm pretty sure when this was asked before a groomer in one of those would do them for €5.

Have they ever been done OP? Did the breeder ever trim them? If they were clipped too much and caused the nail to bleed maybe that's why the pup is having none of it. If they've never been done I don't see why the pup is putting up such a struggle as it's a new thing for him - unless he wasn't handled enough as a young pup and is wary of humans full stop.

Didnt think of the groomer :o Thank you.

I've no idea what is wrong, she's never had them done. she's been handled to much...spoiled rotten. :rolleyes: she's just over 10 months. She lets us do her teeth, her ears no problem .
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I feel your pain, I have a 4 month old pup and she isn't liking the nails being done either. She's going to be a show dog so I'm going to have to do it fairly frequently. Thankfully she isn't too bad if she's really sleepy and there's nothing interesting happening. We actually cut their nails when they were tiny pups because they were starting to cut their mother's tummy so the breeder may have done that and accidentally hurt her. Or she just doesn't like it, some really don't.

You could try pretending to cut them, bringing the clipper up to the claw but not actually touching it and making it make the sound so she gets used to that at least. Its so easily to accidentally hurt them if you try and cut while they are going crazy and then it will just make it worse.

I'd say the groomer will have loads of tips for you anyway. I'm sure she deals with dogs like that all the time. Plus the more often you do it, the easier it is as you only have to take a tiny bit so you are less likely to hurt them.

I've just got my first show dog so I'm being told all these things but its hard to remember it all

Advertisement