Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return

Options
  • 27-08-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I have a property currently rented to a tenant receiving rent supplement.The tenancy finishes shortly. My question is : The initial deposit was paid by the HSE directly in to my bank.I assume that i should return the deposit to them.I get the impression that the tenant thinks that I will be returning it to them.I read last week that €32 million in deposits haven't been returned to the HSE in the last 5 years.Anyone any experience of this one ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

djh2009 wrote: »
    I have a property currently rented to a tenant receiving rent supplement.The tenancy finishes shortly. My question is : The initial deposit was paid by the HSE directly in to my bank.I assume that i should return the deposit to them.I get the impression that the tenant thinks that I will be returning it to them.I read last week that €32 million in deposits haven't been returned to the HSE in the last 5 years.Anyone any experience of this one ?

Quick call to the HSE might be in order. I would imagine it goes back to them.
    Is shocking alright the amount of public money not returned in the form of deposits.
    Let us know what the situation is...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

You return it to the tenant ,people in receipt of rent allowance only get one deposit from the cwo ever, they then have to use this for each place they rent they dont ever get another unless there is a very good reason for them not getting it back from the landlord and they would have to have proof of that and proof of chasing it through the prtb.The contract is between the landlord and the tenant not the landlord and the social welfare this is probably different for RAS

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭djh2009

Doop wrote: »
    Quick call to the HSE might be in order. I would imagine it goes back to them.
    Is shocking alright the amount of public money not returned in the form of deposits.
    Let us know what the situation is...
    ameee wrote: »
    You return it to the tenant ,people in receipt of rent allowance only get one deposit from the cwo ever, they then have to use this for each place they rent they dont ever get another unless there is a very good reason for them not getting it back from the landlord and they would have to have proof of that and proof of chasing it through the prtb.The contract is between the landlord and the tenant not the landlord and the social welfare this is probably different for RAS
    Thank you both for the quick replies.Will post on the outcome.:o

Just an update on some information I received today. I tried to contact one of the cwos in the health centre which covers the area.No joy initially so left a message to return my call. As my enquiry was of a general nature I tried to contact any other health centre in the Dublin area.Having phoned around nine of them the phone either rang out because it wasnt answered or I got a voice message.Eventually got through to one helpful lady who told me that the deposit should be returned to the tenant.Job oxo as they say........Not quite.Got a call from the cwo in the area covering the rented house on a different matter(not knowing anything about me expecting a call).I enquired from him as to the correct procedure here and he tells me that I should return the deposit to the H.S.E. I explained what I had been told in the other office and he is gone to check and will phone me tomorrow.So no wiser at this stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It depends on where the deposit came from originally.
    If it came from the CWO Hardship fund (administered by the local CWO) it would normally be returned to the tenant (and you inform the CWO in writing of this with all the pertinent dates and details of any deductions). If it was paid by the HSE fund instead- it goes directly back to them. You need to get clarification on who to give this back to- in light of the current news stories, you could be held accountable if you return it to the wrong person. Get clarification in writing, and don't return the deposit, until you have such clarification in writing.

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    It depends on where the deposit came from originally.
    If it came from the CWO Hardship fund (administered by the local CWO) it would normally be returned to the tenant (and you inform the CWO in writing of this with all the pertinent dates and details of any deductions). If it was paid by the HSE fund instead- it goes directly back to them. You need to get clarification on who to give this back to- in light of the current news stories, you could be held accountable if you return it to the wrong person. Get clarification in writing, and don't return the deposit, until you have such clarification in writing.
    Thanks for that smccarrick.I got clarification this morning from the cwo in the health centre concerned.The deposit is to be returned to the H.S.E, by cheque/draft.Have an e-mail from them also confirming this.

Advertisement