Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

Rand SKY and got Original for my dad for €24.50 pm I know its only a €5 off but no new contract and given that he has the eirsport pack free it was easier to have all his tv (rugby) on the one box for the coming season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

kooga wrote: »
    the only way sky will relent to your need to get a lower price package is to pull the trigger and cancel, you have to go through with the cancellation, go without for a few days and then they will give you an outbound offer.

They wouldn't budge after my final call so I have cancelled after 15+ years. Very disappointed to be honest as always been very happy with the TV (not really so much so with the broadband mind you) so I will be making the move to Virgin and a free 32" TV! If they come back with an offer the day after it's been turned off it will be too late as I'll have signed with Virgin and won't be turning back. Not sure if I'm being a bit stubborn, a €10 reduction in their offer and I would have stayed but I've paid them probably over €20k (:eek:) in my time with them. Sick of the fight year in, year out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

They wouldn't budge after my final call so I have cancelled after 15+ years. Very disappointed to be honest as always been very happy with the TV (not really so much so with the broadband mind you) so I will be making the move to Virgin and a free 32" TV! If they come back with an offer the day after it's been turned off it will be too late as I'll have signed with Virgin and won't be turning back. Not sure if I'm being a bit stubborn, a €10 reduction in their offer and I would have stayed but I've paid them probably over €20k (:eek:) in my time with them. Sick of the fight year in, year out.

could you go cold turkey for a few days and not commit to a new provider! Sky will be back to you but only after you have parted ways - even go without the service for a day and ring them to see what they have as a returning customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

They wouldn't budge after my final call so I have cancelled after 15+ years.

You're right to cancel. Sky treat their long-term customers terribly.
    I've been with them 15+ years too and it's a constant battle every year just to get a small deduction in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I cancel mine every year and renegotiate a discount. My 40% discount runs out in September but this time I’m gonna cancel for good and see how I manage without. Tired of negotiating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    I cancel mine every year and renegotiate a discount. My 40% discount runs out in September but this time I’m gonna cancel for good and see how I manage without. Tired of negotiating.

Same as me. Done that for the last 5/6 years. Cancelled for good 3 weeks back and replaced now with Tiviar combo box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭lazyman

Went through the cancellation process on the phone and got a 35 per discount after they called me back
    Variety pack plus sports and hd for 61 a month

lazyman wrote: »
    Went through the cancellation process on the phone and got a 35 per discount after they called me back
    Variety pack plus sports and hd for 61 a month

I'd be happy with that. I'm currently paying 59 for original, sports & hd. Deal is up at the end of September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Same as me. Done that for the last 5/6 years. Cancelled for good 3 weeks back and replaced now with Tiviar combo box.

I’ve just done the same. I’m so pleased with the Tiviar that I’ve shut down my Sky box a week early. Having said that, it does take a little work to set it up the way you like it. So,if you’re not technical minded you might need a small dig out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Just completed Sky cancellation. Was on for about 20 mins.
    Was on a 40% discount for original, sports and hd.
    Offered me a 20% discount which I refused and went through about 10 mins of being on hold before a final offer of 35% discount which I also refused.
    Tbh I’m kinda glad to be done with them as I’m tired of this annual horse trading and being forced to call a premium number.

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Just completed Sky cancellation. Was on for about 20 mins.
    Was on a 40% discount for original, sports and hd.
    Offered me a 20% discount which I refused and went through about 10 mins of being on hold before a final offer of 35% discount which I also refused.
    Tbh I’m kinda glad to be done with them as I’m tired of this annual horse trading and being forced to call a premium number.
    Sounds identical to what I did last week. I feel liberated!! I will miss Sky Atlantic though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

Sounds identical to what I did last week. I feel liberated!! I will miss Sky Atlantic though

Out of interest, what will you do for a TV service instead of Sky?

nc6000 wrote: »
    Out of interest, what will you do for a TV service instead of Sky?

Moving to Virgin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

1800 927 476 this is the freephone number that gets you through to the cancellation department not sure if it has been posted before.

no need to ring the expensive 0818 number.

I used it this morning and cancelled it took 5 minutes.

Cheers Coulson. Just got a third off for 6 months, no contract. Your post should be stickied with that number!

I rang earlier to give my 31 days notice to cancel my half price sports offer.
    I was offered sports for €25 for 6 months - but I argued I wasn't going to pay more for less content on their sports package ie La Liga & Rugby etc.
    Surprisingly the agent seemed happy to let me cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭bromley52

Moving to Virgin

You will find the Virgin box very frustrating to use. Its takes about 1min to turn on and it's not very user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonnyatomic

My year subscription was up last week, was getting 40% off variety and sports, was coming in at €47 /m.. rang to try and get the same discount but was told No, would only give me half price sports for 6 months, nothing off the variety.. so cancelled.. got a text yesterday with a link to their site and it was giving me an automatic 35% discount off everything. Just had to click and I was in for a year contract.. not too bad I guess.. think I'll hold out for another few weeks and see if they call..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Anybody with Sky Q gone down the threatening to cancel route in order to get a discount, as you don't own the boxes with Q & they say you'll have to return them if you leave wondering how it played out for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Milky1

robwen wrote: »
    Anybody with Sky Q gone down the threatening to cancel route in order to get a discount, as you don't own the boxes with Q & they say you'll have to return them if you leave wondering how it played out for anyone?

You have 90 days after your contract ends to return the boxes so no worries there. I've had to go through the 31 days notice, have no sky for 24 hours but then an offer appears on my account. 35/40% last couple of times.

They seem to be offering 35% discounts before end of contract to some people now (after cancelling) That's new, they might under a bit of pressure to keep people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Lads

I have the sky hd box, if I cancel completely what free channels will I be left with. This isn’t about half price this or that, I’m just not interested. I’d be happy with some basic channels, broadband and Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

who_ru wrote: »
    Lads

I have the sky hd box, if I cancel completely what free channels will I be left with. This isn’t about half price this or that, I’m just not interested. I’d be happy with some basic channels, broadband and Netflix.

All these channels
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

You may have to tune in these channels in the "add channels" option on your sky box.

They then will be view able in the "other channels" section of your sky box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I've to make the call this week as my 40% is up. Sports and Basic.

Any offers on their BB with it? That discount is up also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

who_ru wrote: »
    Lads

Take your sky card out of the box, you might have to reboot the box for the EPG to change without the sky card in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bazz26 wrote: »
    Take your sky card out of the box, you might have to reboot the box for the EPG to change without the sky card in the box.

bear in mind you won't be able to record without a subscription and any recordings you have won't play (possibly - recordings from unencrypted channels like the BBC may still work with the expired card).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

loyatemu wrote: »
    bear in mind you won't be able to record without a subscription and any recordings you have won't play (possibly - recordings from unencrypted channels like the BBC may still work with the expired card).

Your probably right but I cancelled my subscription nearly 12 months ago after being with them for about 16 years, don't miss it one bit. The FTA channels do me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Milky1

A word of warning people. I'm serving my 30 day notice. Got a text to offer 35% off for 12 months (had been on 40 before) and clicked on it. BUT now I see it is only off the basic package, does not include sports, HD or multiroom. A scam if you ask me. I will definitely be cancelling now.

I'm serving my 30 day notice too, but I never get texts or emails from Sky with offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

I have sky for just over two years. If I offer my 31 days notice, will they give me any offers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I have sky for just over two years. If I offer my 31 days notice, will they give me any offers?

They offered me €10 off last week when I gave my notice. I had variety/skysports and multi-screen. I didn't bother trying to negotiate a lower deal because the rep didn't seem one for budging so I just got rid of skysports.

just off the phone with sky, had cancelled and my 30 days was up tomorrow, got that text offering 35% for cancellation, they gave me 35% off my current package which is variety and sky sports.. asked him bout 10 times was he sure its off everything and not just the variety and he assured me it was off the whole package including sky sports. so very happy with that.

also to reduce costs further if you have sky sports, ask them to cancel the eurosport add-on on the variety package, because the channels you get are Sky Sports News, Sky Sports Mix, Eurosport and At the Races, but Sky Sports News and Sky Sports Mix automatically come with Sky Sports Package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

just off the phone with sky, had cancelled and my 30 days was up tomorrow, got that text offering 35% for cancellation, they gave me 35% off my current package which is variety and sky sports.. asked him bout 10 times was he sure its off everything and not just the variety and he assured me it was off the whole package including sky sports. so very happy with that.

also to reduce costs further if you have sky sports, ask them to cancel the eurosport add-on on the variety package, because the channels you get are Sky Sports News, Sky Sports Mix, Eurosport and At the Races, but Sky Sports News and Sky Sports Mix automatically come with Sky Sports Package.

Any chance I could send you a PM for a copy of that text I am 3 weeks past cut off and looking to get things moving hope you don't mind thanks in advance

Any chance I could send you a PM for a copy of that text I am 3 weeks past cut off and looking to get things moving hope you don't mind thanks in advance

Ya sure thing.. no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ltd440

we have broadband and basic sky with the kids bundle and were paying 79 pm
    till today, oh rang up this morning with the intention of cancelling and moving to virgin but rep started with a fiver discount and quickly went to 59 pm :) so being lazy gits and happy enough with price and the ease of not switching we ended up staying with sky:)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

Ya sure thing.. no problem

Thank you will send you through a message now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I put my cancellation through 2 weeks ago, I was paying 39 per month for Variety, Docs and Kids.. Anyway they phoned yesterday with free service with movies until end of December then 23 Euro per month for a year!

The must be making a nice profit from their Irish customers. Anytime I visit my local shopping centre there is always two guys, sometimes three, working at the Sky stand. Never seems very busy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

I am paying €54 a month for variety, HD and box sets. Does that seem alot? Thanks a mill

snowgal wrote:
    I am paying €54 a month for variety, HD and box sets. Does that seem alot? Thanks a mill

Not really, I'd say that's the standard price. We pay €72 for similar but with multiroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

snowgal wrote: »
    Its the full price I think. Lots of people are getting it for much less. So if you are out of contract just ring in and tell them you want to cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ALS

... 4 HD boxes with all sports movies & variety channels .€107 pm, 12.month contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

ALS wrote: »
    ... 4 HD boxes with all sports movies & variety channels .€107 pm, 12.month contract

I've the same, main box plus 3 HD multi rooms, HD and boxsets, movies, sports, variety and 100mg broadband for €128 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

I have a HD main box plus 1 multi room HD. Variety Pack,HD and box sets.
    Cost €48 per month on a 15 month contract which ended in August. Going up to €72. I spent 50 minutes on the phone going through the cancellation process. It's bloody ridiculous and bloody expensive.

jelutong wrote: »
    I have a HD main box plus 1 multi room HD. Variety Pack,HD and box sets.
    Cost €48 per month on a 15 month contract which ended in August. Going up to €72. I spent 50 minutes on the phone going through the cancellation process. It's bloody ridiculous and bloody expensive.

call the free phone no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

call the free phone no
    That time of year again for me, 12 months offer up, will have to be ringing going through the usual to get discount back, can only see the 0818 number on cancellation site, what's the free number?
    The only thing that keeps me with them is the recording feature,
    like to record F1 on ch4 when not in to watch it,
    never really look at the sky channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭kindalen

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    That time of year again for me, 12 months offer up, will have to be ringing going through the usual to get discount back, can only see the 0818 number on cancellation site, what's the free number?

I was the same, got a Tiviar box. No monthly bill at all now.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057827739

• Advertisement

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

1800 92 74 76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭celt262

Has anyone got a decent offer lately?

I signed up to the half price Sports offer yesterday. They were trying to get me to add Movies for an extra 4.50 too - I've no interest in movies.

I think the Sports offer runs for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kellford

Im currently with Sky no contract, paying
    Variety & sport €79
    Broadband & talk €55

Rang this morning looking for better offer , best they could offer was basis and broadband for €74 no sports and no contract. Any one paying that much, what are Eir like? Any advise appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Only

Kellford wrote: »
    Im currently with Sky no contract, paying
    Variety & sport €79
    Broadband & talk €55

Rang this morning looking for better offer , best they could offer was basis and broadband for €74 no sports and no contract. Any one paying that much, what are Eir like? Any advise appreciated

I got Variety + Sports yesterday for €47.40, 12month contract .. was paying €79 after my last deal expired. ... Had to do the whole Cancel and them call with the offer thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement