Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

Anyone have an offer on just broadband. I'm paying 55 a month at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Milky1

So I got a 'Winback' offer after my 30 days had expired. I had to call them twice and eventually got through to the right person.
    The offer I got was 40% off Variety and Sports...BUT...there are big changes to the packages. The Variety package does NOT now include children's channels. That is an EXTRA €8 which is an absolute disgrace and a very poor move by SKY. HD is now separate at €8 a month. Boxests look to be €8 making room for what I expect to be boxsets and netflix at €16 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Acey10

Hey
    Just looking for some advice' I'm considering switching to Sky broadband from virgin, Virgin is 240 mb and sky is 100 mb, is there much of a difference? What's the quality like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Acey10 wrote: »
    Hey
    Just looking for some advice' I'm considering switching to Sky broadband from virgin, Virgin is 240 mb and sky is 100 mb, is there much of a difference? What's the quality like?

Depends very much on your experience with VM and the real speeds you get.

No doubt lots of VM customers are getting good connections with high speeds but we were getting multiple daily outages & very average speeds, even with a v3 Hub.

Switched TV only to Sky initially. Sky Q is streets ahead of VM Horizon.

On Sky "100Mb" BB since August. Not a single outage as far as I'm aware & speeds are the same or better to mobile devices. No complaints from family about connections or streaming either (Netflix 4K, NowTV, YouTube, PS4).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Milky1 wrote: »
    HD is now separate at €8 a month.

The standard price for HD is €17. They've been giving it out for €10 on a 12 month contract for awhile now.
    Are they now offering it for €8?
    My HD contract is up for renewal soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    The standard price for HD is €17. They've been giving it out for €10 on a 12 month contract for awhile now.
    Are they now offering it for €8?
    My HD contract is up for renewal soon.
    All the details are here which in fairness is for new customers. But the new "add-ons" (kids, HD, Box sets etc) will most likely apply to existing customers also who wish to change their package

Edit/ some additional info here from a Sky rep

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Currently involved in my annual argument with Sky. They started at €84, down to €69.

No sports, kids or documentaries. Will call them back on Monday to get them down further

Pain in arse having to do it each year

muffler wrote: »
    All the details are here which in fairness is for new customers. But the new "add-ons" (kids, HD, Box sets etc) will most likely apply to existing customers also who wish to change their package

Edit/ some additional info here from a Sky rep

I'm currently on the Original bundle (29.50) plus €10 for HD.
    I've got €20 Sports on top of that.

So for 50c more I can get NatGeo, History & the Eurosport channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Cancelled my Sky subscription last week as current deal has ended. Was offered €10 discount but still went through with it.
    My account now has an offer of 35% discount on TV subscription only whereas before I had a discount on TV and HD.
    I'll leave it for another couple of weeks and see if they up the discount.

Cancelled my Sky subscription last week as current deal has ended. Was offered €10 discount but still went through with it.
    My account now has an offer of 35% discount on TV subscription only whereas before I had a discount on TV and HD.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭geriatric

Just got an email from Sky to say my subscription is going up by €2 from Dec 18. Does this mean I can break my contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

geriatric wrote: »
    Just got an email from Sky to say my subscription is going up by €2 from Dec 18. Does this mean I can break my contract?

No, only if it is 10%, or over, of your current (full) price of your package can you do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

geriatric wrote: »

Mine is going up €2.50!!!!!

Thats my prompt now to call them and 'deal or no deal' .....

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lilmissbee88

is there any way you can get any deals while IN contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

is there any way you can get any deals while IN contract?

Possibly on the add ons if you kick up a fuss (HD, sports, movies). Generally you'd have to be out of contract to get a deal on the base price...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

Maybe a stupid question but how do you know if you're in or out of contract? I'm with sky for many years but I haven't signed anything bar at the start... Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

snowgal wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question but how do you know if you're in or out of contract? I'm with sky for many years but I haven't signed anything bar at the start... Thanks

You're out so. Contract is 12 months, rolls month on month after that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I'm currently on the Original bundle (29.50) plus €10 for HD.
    I've got €20 Sports on top of that.

So for 50c more I can get NatGeo, History & the Eurosport channels.

I have the same offer as you (minus the sports), I'm thinking of calling them to see if I can get any better. I don't think the offer is great anymore!

• Advertisement

Got Entertainment channels,sports,multi room and hd for €65 per month with 12 month contract after some haggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Jesus sky are some tools. Out of contract so phoned up to get any offer. Nothing doing only warnings and disaster if I cancel and eventually when I got cancelled they out me through to cancel my direct debit and i got offerred 35 percent discount...wth couldnt they offer that at start of the call..such a waste of everyone's time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

All the Sky offers are changing but not for the best!

Had a 50% off for 9 months offer through work scheme and now that has gone to.
    New Entertainment Sky Pack*
    Get the new Sky Entertainment Pack.
    Get 30% off the new Entertainment Pack normally €32.
    Sky Entertainment
    Now with 90 channels you can enjoy big screen dramas, comedies, Sky Originals and documentaries.
    Watch it all on the Sky Q box.
    Want Sports or Cinema now Group scheme members can add Sports/Cinema and get a 30% discount also.
    Want even more add HD, Boxsets or Kids for just €8 a month.
    New customer offer.

Also noticed on the UK site, it's £5 extra for Box Sets, Sky's exchange rate leaves a lot to be desired.

Price rise of €2.50 on the original package & a further €1.50 on multiroom.

I recently signed up for multiroom for €16 - no mention of the upcoming price rise. I only had it installed yesterday so my 12 month contract has just started. Have I a two-week cooling off period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Price rise of €2.50 on the original package & a further €1.50 on multiroom.

I recently signed up for multiroom for €16 - no mention of the upcoming price rise. I only had it installed yesterday so my 12 month contract has just started. Have I a two-week cooling off period?

You have a 14 day cooling off period but you will have to pay for the service used during that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

What ya reckon will be the black friday offering this year? I see the UK got a 43" 4k HDR TV by LG last year of course Ireland got a 32" 1080p set :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭pj12332

Have gone through with the dreaded cancellation call. They offered 20 euro total off which was about 15% discount. Pathetic. Anyway the calls will be coming soon. But actually letting it get cut off is always the best way to get the best price. Has anyone recently done it? Im a tv only customer. Used to be 50% off, heard it's 35% now off some of the pack. Will update when my account closes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

pj12332 wrote: »
    Have gone through with the dreaded cancellation call. They offered 20 euro total off which was about 15% discount. Pathetic. Anyway the calls will be coming soon. But actually letting it get cut off is always the best way to get the best price. Has anyone recently done it? Im a tv only customer. Used to be 50% off, heard it's 35% now off some of the pack. Will update when my account closes off.

I spent half hour on phone last week. Girl telling me no deals available. Insisted on cancellation. She cancelled then put me through to guy to cancel my direct debit. He offered me 35 percent discount to stay which I did. Very annoyed they wouldn't just offer straight away .

I didn't even get put through to anyone. In my experience letting it get cut off is always the best way. I'm sure I'll get calls in the meantime. 35% jases the recession is over. Looks like 50 is long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭brophs

To confirm what other people have said, we have Sky tv, with sports and HD. We cancelled and let it lapse and today they basically made the same offer as before (35% approx). They couldn't/wouldn't offer any sort of discount on HD. Might leave it a bit longer as we're not too bothered, but I'm not sure there's much more in it this year.

I rang the last day after noticing the original package was increasing to €32 in December. They're currently offering the new entertainment package for €32 - so I wanted to switch to the new deal.
    They also offer HD for €8 with the entertainment package. I'm currently paying €10 for a HD subscription.

They wouldn't let me make the switch because I already have a half-price sports offer I signed up to in Sept.
    They only way I could switch to the new entertainment offer was to go back to full price sports (€40) or wait when until the deal expires in March - but they couldn't guarantee the new entertainment offer would still be there.

Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Girl_harbour

I spent half hour on phone last week. Girl telling me no deals available. Insisted on cancellation. She cancelled then put me through to guy to cancel my direct debit. He offered me 35 percent discount to stay which I did. Very annoyed they wouldn't just offer straight away .

I used to work there, you literally don't get a choice, those big offers 35% 50% etc aren't on the system. you don't have them to offer which is why they dont, you only get those offers if you get transferred to the cork office. They are a company called abtran, they're not actually sky,they are the only ones with those offers. Occasionally however if you fully cancel and call a while later, ,a winback offer shows on a normal sky persons system, but that's about it.

I used to work there, you literally don't get a choice, those big offers 35% 50% etc aren't on the system. you don't have them to offer which is why they dont, you only get those offers if you get transferred to the cork office. They are a company called abtran, they're not actually sky,they are the only ones with those offers. Occasionally however if you fully cancel and call a while later, ,a winback offer shows on a normal sky persons system, but that's about it.

Ye that makes sense. I get win back offer every year. Literally can call a few hours after its cut off and get offered 35-50 % off for the year. I've done it for five years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Girl_harbour

Ye that makes sense. I get win back offer every year. Literally can call a few hours after its cut off and get offered 35-50 % off for the year. I've done it for five years now.

Its such a stupid system and its very stressful working there because you have crazy targets, and you don't get access to anything like that and half the people know if they just cancel they will get the better offer. So glad im no longer there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

Had anyone had any decent winback offers lately?

Thanks.

danois wrote: »
    Had anyone had any decent winback offers lately?

Thanks.

40% off the core package and movies /sports if you have them. No half price on multiroom box sets or hd. Just got that for my dad a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Have managed to negotiate Variety Pk + HD + Box sets + F1 + BB & offpeak Tel + multiroom (sky Q) for €102

I reckon that is a smidge over a 20% discount

The problem I had was that I have come to rather like the Sky Q box. Couldn't hold out for more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

I received a text offering me 35% off. Never had a text offer before from sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

Got the standard 35% off once put through to cancellations. The 1st offer when you eventually get passed the automated messages was €8. Can’t complain but disappointing they have managed to squeeze out the 50% & 40% offers over the last few years. On variety & sport

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Friend of mine has just started working there.
    Anybody know what the staff discount is, before I ask them, just in case it's not worth calling them for a couple of Euro a month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Friend of mine has just started working there.
    Anybody know what the staff discount is, before I ask them, just in case it's not worth calling them for a couple of Euro a month?

They can only give offers to non current customers (new customers to sky)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

Got 35% off TV and half price broadband. No movement on line rental or the extra box. Working out at €84 which is not really worth it. Said to go and cancel as I can get the same with virgin for €75. Do you reckon they will be back in touch or is that the best I'll get

alanc2003 wrote: »
    Got 35% off TV and half price broadband. No movement on line rental or the extra box. Working out at €84 which is not really worth it. Said to go and cancel as I can get the same with virgin for €75. Do you reckon they will be back in touch or is that the best I'll get

I got 40% off entertainment sports and movies. All the rest are seperate and not included. Managed half price hd seperately too. That's the best available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SEORG

I got 40% off entertainment sports and movies. All the rest are seperate and not included. Managed half price hd seperately too. That's the best available

For how long, 6 months?

SEORG wrote: »
    For how long, 6 months?

For the year

For the year
    Thanks, had you already been disconnected or was it on the call to customer service? Sorry for the questions!

Thanks, had you already been disconnected or was it on the call to customer service? Sorry for the questions!

Already disconnected. I call up every year the day it's been turned off. That's the way you will get the best deal. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

I got this offer via email myself but i had been disconnected for a few months

Already disconnected. I call up every year the day it's been turned off. That's the way you will get the best deal. Hope that helps.
    That's great thanks.

That's great thanks.

The 40% was no problem. She had to go off and ask about the HD and I asked her to ask her supervisor. So got that half price in the end too. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Darby_321

Hi guys, my sky subscription is currently up. I had the sky family and friends discount for 50% off the last 12 months. We were getting variety and sports and cinema and box sets with HD for €54 a month but now it is gone to €108 a month. Is 35% the best that seems to be offered now? Should i say i want to cancel or just see what they will offer me?

Advertisement