Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

bazmc35 wrote: »
    Is this 100% fact I wonder? I'm in bother with the missus told her to cancel saying they'd offer her the 50% off for the year they offered her the 50% off 6 months but she told them to cancel, which they did and she is now freaking out about her beloved sky being cancelled! Generally how long after you cancel do they call?
    N17er wrote: »
    If you live together just sign in your name.

I couldn't tell you if they will call or not, I cancelled about a week ago and haven't got a call, I got a letter saying Sky will miss me... but no offer.

This.

They will call ( can take about 3 weeks max) but id just call in yourself and get this offer in your name to speed things up.

If you miss a phone call or something it could be a disaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Some Help Please

Signed up yesterday, will be installed next Monday.

Thank you for such a great thread. Amazing value.

muffler wrote: »
    I dont think you're giving good advice here at all. The person you quoted is an existing Sky customer and Sky are under no obligation to make any customer an offer. So why would you suggest that he/she should act very irrationally and end up making a fool of their self?

Again this is all wrong and a complete over-reaction to a situation where Sky havent done anything wrong. Comreg have absolutely nothing to do with complaints about Sky in any event.

Might seem a bit excessive but it will never go as far as everything mentioned. 99% of it is reversing the scare tactics which they are trained to use on you.

Also Sky have done something wrong when they lied to him about saying the offer isnt available when everyone bar him is getting it. I know the type of supervisor who he was speaking to. Acts as if he was paying for it out of his own pocket. No bother to him to lie through his teeth to get him off phone.

As i said it will never go this far. Its just a matter of making sure a lying supervisor is aware you know what youre talking about.

If you even mention a SAR rquest to these you will get what your after (If its actually available of course.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Signed up yesterday, will be installed next Monday.

Thank you for such a great thread. Amazing value.
    JUST WONDERING DID THEY ASK ABOUT A PHONELINE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Some Help Please

ROY RACE wrote: »
    JUST WONDERING DID THEY ASK ABOUT A PHONELINE

They did and I indicated that I have one but in reality I don't.

I read on this that the technicians don't check when they come out to install.

Only if its manually looked over.

If someone thinks your up to something and pulls up the two accounts they will see it. Just the last four digits but its enough. Id advise another account. Especially if your going to cancel and resignup just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Just a question for anyone who has got their installation done. How willing are the installers to put in the effort to do a proper install, i.e. when we got sky at my rented house they took any short cut they could, just drilled a hole in the wall beside the tv and ran in the cables.

However that wont cut it at home, Dad will want the cables ran into the attic and down the conduit inside the wall where the existing coaxial cable is, no short cuts. Of course we know how the house is wired as we ran the cables originally ourselves so helping them wouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Just a question for anyone who has got their installation done. How willing are the installers to put in the effort to do a proper install, i.e. when we got sky at my rented house they took any short cut they could, just drilled a hole in the wall beside the tv and ran in the cables.

However that wont cut it at home, Dad will want the cables ran into the attic and down the conduit inside the wall where the existing coaxial cable is, no short cuts. Of course we know how the house is wired as we ran the cables originally ourselves so helping them wouldn't be a problem.

I'm getting it installed first thing in the morning and am pretty much in the same boat. I'll let you know how it goes; though in the letter we received with the viewing cards, it states they won't drill through walls.

• Advertisement

Just mention it when booking an engineer. The person on phone will ask you is there anything that has to be told to the engineer. i.e do you live in an apartment? can he park outside?

Thats when you say he will need to run cables wherever. But be reasonable at the same time. If you warn him properly he will make the time to do it. Dont just not tell him and he arrives an hour before hometime.

just dont do this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭tucked

When I ordered my connection it was part of the Sky Rep's speil/checkpoints on the phone that all cabling etc would be external only and the engineer would not be going into attic etc. They said this was for health and safety reasons and as it turned out, when the engineer was installing he said the health & safety guy was spot checking so he was doing everything by the book. Maybe when you're booking it have a good reason why cabling can't be done externally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The ones I've seen they throw a cable over the roof down the side of the house and drill in through the wall beside the TV. Sloppy as heck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Of course we know how the house is wired as we ran the cables originally ourselves so helping them wouldn't be a problem.
    Do this and it shouldn't be a prob.

Got everything installed this morning. There was already a dish up for a freeview box but they put up a brand new one instead and rigged up the freeview box also.

They used external wiring for the main box and used the existing wiring for the box in the other room. All in all, a very tidy job and I'm really happy with the quality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've mine booked for a fortnight from now, before they arrive I'll have all internal walls predrilled etc and be on hand to feed cabling where I want it via units and in blind spots, this is the way I've approached every Sky install, this will be my third and if the installer isn't up for it I'll just cancel the whole thing and send him on his/her way.
    Generally these guys are sound in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

Threaten to cancel if they dont so you a deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

cheers OP- new house, new sky!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Thanks OP, you have saved me €258 for the year!

Last year I did the exact same thing here and had half price Sky up until this month @ €24/month, I have now cancelled that account and got the OP's offer @ half price of the Entertainment extra for €16.50/month down from €33/month although they would not give me the Sky HD pack for half price and wanted €15/month but once I began backing out of it then they declined and gave me the HD pack for €10/month so I have my €48/month pack for €26.50/month saving me money nicely.

The extra €2.50 a month I'll be paying this year I can make up by selling my Sky+ HD box from last years contract on adverts or eBay as I'll be getting a new box also, I might demand the dish from the installer also and reuse last years one, I could sell that for a few quid also!

Sky is really overpriced and I would cancel were it not for these deals being made available, I can't see why they don't lower their prices permanently and they'd have a massive surge in customer numbers if they did, making them even more money than presently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

signed up today- sky plus box - entertainment extra package & sky sports
    33.50per month..... is this good... did any of you get it any cheaper?
    We are new customers ( I cancelled, hubbie started a new one on his own)

Best your gonna get really. Better than paying 100 for box and installation and 67 a month isnt it :D

make sure to cancel in 11 months and get the offer again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

efb wrote: »
    cheers OP- new house, new sky!
    Feckin rogue builders again. First bit of wind and the roof blew off your new house :pac:

tucked wrote: »
    When I ordered my connection it was part of the Sky Rep's speil/checkpoints on the phone that all cabling etc would be external only and the engineer would not be going into attic etc. They said this was for health and safety reasons and as it turned out, when the engineer was installing he said the health & safety guy was spot checking so he was doing everything by the book. Maybe when you're booking it have a good reason why cabling can't be done externally.

Once they are willing to work with us they wouldn't need to go into the attic, its better if we do that part anyway as we know our way around. We will be prepared for them too when they arrive.

All our house has been properly cabled with all cables running to rooms from the attic down inside the walls, every thing is hidden and very tidy and thats the way they will want it kept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭hjr

Just curious as to how long between you cancelling and OH signing up? Thinking we might do something similar as we've been with Sky for over 5 years now, and never get any discounts/offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Tradnuts

Thanks OP, Great Offer.
    They tried to get me to go the the communal dish in my apartment block, but i said i wanted my own dish on my balcony and they said fine after a bit of complaining.

Now i just need to stop paying 39.99 to UPC for my broadband, any suggestions for Dublin? (Sorry if the broadband question is off topic).

Thanks again OP! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Got the OH to sign up today in his name

Was paying €39 per month for entertainment extra and multi-room

Now have new dish and boxes on the way with movies and sports, multi-room for only €48 a month so really only €108 extra for the year. Much cheaper than getting the saorview in!

This has to be the best bargain alert ever, thanks OP :D:D

Interestingly, when I rang to cancel, he asked me did i know anyone that wanted to join sky and would take over my account rather than me cancel it outright. If they did they would get my discounts plus a further €8 off per month. I'd say they are sick to the back teeth with cancellations the last few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Tradnuts wrote: »
    Thanks OP, Great Offer.
    They tried to get me to go the the communal dish in my apartment block, but i said i wanted my own dish on my balcony and they said fine after a bit of complaining.

Now i just need to stop paying 39.99 to UPC for my broadband, any suggestions for Dublin? (Sorry if the broadband question is off topic).

Thanks again OP! :)

Cant understand why you'd want to change from UPC broadband - you'd be paying as much for an inferior service with phone line rental.

I'm sitting on the phone here for the last 20 minutes waiting to have my call answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Cant understand why you'd want to change from UPC broadband - you'd be paying as much for an inferior service with phone line rental.

I'm sitting on the phone here for the last 20 minutes waiting to have my call answered.

Your calling at peak time. You should call early in morning it's much quicker.

Witnessed an Engineer having to put up a dish on 3rd floor in belting rain today. he didnt look too happy at all.

For the people who ask them to go into attics etc when they dont have to take things like this into consideration and chase your own bloody wires. :D

Theyre sound lads but you never know what went on in the job before yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭testtech05

Only saw this thread today, do you think if I rang tomorrow would I have any chance of getting the deal? (bearing in mind I would have to cancel 1st) Did you guys just ring up and say you wanted to cancel then wait a few days then call back for a new connection??

• Advertisement

testtech05 wrote: »
    Only saw this thread today, do you think if I rang tomorrow would I have any chance of getting the deal? (bearing in mind I would have to cancel 1st) Did you guys just ring up and say you wanted to cancel then wait a few days then call back for a new connection??

Id say its risky now because the resignup for half price offer ends tomorrow according to leaflet in first post.

You potentially dont have the option to resignup in partners name after cancelling. If you dont get the callback you could be left high and dry.

If i was a betting man id say go for it as they pretty much always call you back after cancelling and offer you this (unless you tell them your emigrating or something) but if they have any notion its still possible for you to get Sky again they will call you. Its money to them at the end of the day. Pure profit for them in 2nd year.

testtech05 wrote: »

i only did it today and had no problems at all, OH rang and signed up to offer as new customer at 4pm, i rang to cancel mine at 6pm
    Install is booked for Monday week

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

Called and asked for the Sports fan package which is €59 (ents & sports package)
    http://www.sky.com/ireland/bundles-offers/featured/

Then mentioned the deal, paying €29.50/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Ringing tomorrow to sign up what info do I need with me? Do they want credit card details or is via direct debit? Never used sky before. Also will they take the first month payment immediately or wait until the set up is complete? Cheers

Ringing tomorrow to sign up what info do I need with me? Do they want credit card details or is via direct debit? Never used sky before. Also will they take the first month payment immediately or wait until the set up is complete? Cheers

Bank Account details and €25 up front payment by card over the phone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

signed up for entertainment extra and sky sports package

cheers op

just wondering is espn included as thats suppossed to be free when you have sky sports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Bank Account details and €25 up front payment by card over the phone
    Do they accept laser?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Do they accept laser?
    yup

signed up for entertainment extra and sky sports package

cheers op

just wondering is espn included as thats suppossed to be free when you have sky sports

Yeah ESPN is included, great for the UFC events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Sorted, went for the Sky Sports Fan Package.
    http://www.sky.com/ireland/bundles-offers/featured/

€29.50 per month. Engineer calling over 4th of October so all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

Thought I would try my luck without getting dramatic and threatening to leave. Had a quick chat with one of the CSR's in UK (not cork), who said that there was no offers on at the moment.
    The day the Ryder cup begins is probably a bad day to try your luck

I will try again early next month, but before the H-cup starts

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Signed up without a hitch and im very pleased with the service. Thanks for sharing OP, excellent post. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

The supervisor that rang back when I cancelled told me that another subscription couldn't be taken out at the same address for 12 months.

Was anyone else told this?

Those that have active phone lines, did you give the same number or did you just say you had no phone line when you signed up in another name?

Stoolbend wrote: »
    The supervisor that rang back hen I cancelled told me that another subscription couldn't be taken out at the same address for 12 months.

Was anyone else told this?

Those that have active phone lines, did you give the same number or did you just say you had no phone line when you signed up in another name?

Just get the partner to call up and say she has no phone line. Shes a new tenant if they ask. She just moved in and seen this offer in a leaflet that came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭billbond4

Gas. Rang up yesterday to "cancel" and I was saying that new customers get half price packages and he said he sits across from sales and never heard of such a deal. Got my entertainment package down to 33e per month.

Haggled with upc this week and have my bb 25mb down to 28epm. Just waiting for the text inc few months time to say that my speed is being bumped up to 50mb then a month or two later saying my bill is going up due to network improvements.same thing every year with upc to generate extra revenue.

billbond4 wrote: »
    Gas. Rang up yesterday to "cancel" and I was saying that new customers get half price packages and he said he sits across from sales and never heard of such a deal. Got my entertainment package down to 33e per month.

Haggled with upc this week and have my bb 25mb down to 28epm. Just waiting for the text inc few months time to say that my speed is being bumped up to 50mb then a month or two later saying my bill is going up due to network improvements.same thing every year with upc to generate extra revenue.

Sky broadband is due any day now.

Jump ship as soon as it does and you might get it half price or even free like the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Media999 wrote: »
    Sky broadband is due any day now.

Jump ship as soon as it does and you might get it half price or even free like the UK.
    Sky broadband will have nothing close to the UPC speeds.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Sky broadband will have nothing close to the UPC speeds.

Speed isnt everything. Some people just want to save money.

Slowest UPC is 35 quid a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

billbond4 wrote: »

The most expensive Entertainment Package is €33.00. How did you manage to get a reduction to that amount?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Media999 wrote: »
    Speed isnt everything. Some people just want to save money.

Slowest UPC is 35 quid a month.

I know speed isn't everything and I just mentioned it encase people think Sky will be providing anything close to UPC quality.Will be interesting to see what Sky will be offering.

Advertisement