Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

The most expensive Entertainment Package is €33.00. How did you manage to get a reduction to that amount?

UPC gave me free sky sports and sky movies for 2 months becaused i threatened to cancel even though i have a few months contract left.

I get TV and BB for 35 a month on a good deal.

have Sky there now aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭billbond4

Asked how long was left in contract. I was already out of contract.
    Said upc offered me deal on tv and bb. Best he said sky could do was 25e p.m as its the cheapest package sky offer. Still not half of 33e but its alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭billbond4

I find the best bargaining tool is when contract is up as companies generally have to offer you deal to stay with them.
    So ring sky and upc once a year for a haggling call :-D
    No harm in trying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

I missed this deal but definitely worth talking to them. Rang "cancel line" (have full package bar HD/Mulitroom and was paying €61/month, had a deal of free movies last 6 months). Was offered movies for €1 a couple of weeks ago but would be paying €67/month (I know it doesn't add up with previous offer) but said would think about it.

Rang today and was told that offer was gone...but after some "looking at it" (length of time with them seemed important and I was locked in at €70 vs. €76 for full package for some reason) he came up with a deal of €56/month for full package for a year.

Granted not as good as full half price deal but...

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭TingTong

I am in contract with Sky until the end of April 2013. Can I give them 31 days notice to cancel the contract? They have told me that I cannot cancel until the end of April but I don't believe them. Can someone clarify please?

• Advertisement

TingTong wrote: »
    I am in contract with Sky until the end of April 2013. Can I give them 31 days notice to cancel the contract? They have told me that I cannot cancel until the end of April but I don't believe them. Can someone clarify please?

Your in contract. Thats the whole point. Why wouldnt you believe them?

billbond4 wrote: »
    Asked how long was left in contract. I was already out of contract.
    Said upc offered me deal on tv and bb. Best he said sky could do was 25e p.m as its the cheapest package sky offer. Still not half of 33e but its alright

Trick is to get to the people who can give the better deals. :D

Thats the best he could do. Not the best Sky could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

TingTong wrote: »

Yea, you can give them 31 days notice at the end of March. You will not be cut off until the 31 days are up. Some posters on these forums have said that you can expect a call before you notice runs out, from their Loyalty Unit to entice you to stay. You should haggle the best deal you can get out of them at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Daithi McNulty

I got Ent Extra,Sports & Movies with this deal and installed on the 25th Sep.

My Sky account states the following :
    Billing Period 25/09/12 - 24/10/12
    Sky tv total €50.50
    Payment due 09/10/12 €25.50

Should i be getting charged this soon after 2 weeks access to Sky channels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I got Ent Extra,Sports & Movies with this deal and installed on the 25th Sep.

My Sky account states the following :
    Billing Period 25/09/12 - 24/10/12
    Sky tv total €50.50
    Payment due 09/10/12 €25.50

Should i be getting charged this soon after 2 weeks access to Sky channels?
    You pay in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I know speed isn't everything and I just mentioned it encase people think Sky will be providing anything close to UPC quality.Will be interesting to see what Sky will be offering

Sky have done a deal with BT Ireland so the phone and Broadband will come from them and Sky will package them with TV in a triple bundle.
    Interested to see how they pitch it, pricewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Sky have done a deal with BT Ireland so the phone and Broadband will come from them and Sky will package them with TV in a triple bundle.
    Interested to see how they pitch it, pricewise.

Is this the same infrastruture that Vodafone uses to provide broadband and landline services - with Eircom provding the link to the end users ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

greendom wrote: »
    Is this the same infrastruture that Vodafone uses to provide broadband and landline services - with Eircom provding the link to the end users ?

Yeah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Just wondering anyone who got it installed recently were asked about the phone line by installer

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Tradnuts

Just wondering anyone who got it installed recently were asked about the phone line by installer

Getting mine installed tomorrow and am wondering the same thing, as i dont have a landline. They didnt mention it at all when i rang up to order the package though.

Tradnuts wrote: »
    Getting mine installed tomorrow and am wondering the same thing, as i dont have a landline. They didnt mention it at all when i rang up to order the package though.
    i dont have a landline either i told them i did to avoid the 50 quid or whatever it was let me know how ya got on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Hi,

I told the installer that the phone line was by the front door (TV at rear of the house) and he said I would have to buy a phone sender.

He was happy as long as it didn't kick back at him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Does anyone know when they are doing another half price offer? I want to buy it and was too late for this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

Sky seem to be trying to deceive people into thinking they need to use a paid service when the switchover happens. A decent combo receiver will pick up the majority of the decent stations they are offering for no money.

Sky seem to be trying to deceive people into thinking they need to use a paid service when the switchover happens. A decent combo receiver will pick up the majority of the decent stations they are offering for no money.

Do you really think that people are really that daft ? They know full well what they are getting and it's not just about the programming.

The EPG, recording,live pause etc can't be found to an equivalenton level without paying for a subscription. If/when an equivalent system becomes available through FTA I'd think very hard about losing Sky.

• Advertisement

Do you really think that people are really that daft ? They know full well what they are getting and it's not just about the programming.

The EPG, recording,live pause etc can't be found to an equivalenton level without paying for a subscription. If/when an equivalent system becomes available through FTA I'd think very hard about losing Sky.

EPG, recording, pausing are all available on a Freesat setup. My father has it along with loads of free HD stations.

Here you go. You don't get RTE HD with Sky. you're welcome :)

http://www.freesat.ie/pid-170-HUMAX_FOXSAT_FREESAT_HD-R_500G.html

EPG, recording, pausing are all available on a Freesat setup. My father has it along with loads of free HD stations.

What's the functionality like ? how easy is it to use ? Do you have any pics of the EPG?

There are loads of different models with different qualities. The EPG seems to be the same that sky use, I think its just part of the ASTRA 2 satellite. Functionality might not be as great as sky with series link and that but I could be wrong, I don't watch tv like that myself. Recording can be started by the stated epg times rather than some signal like sky so you can be out a bit if programs over or underrun. Not bad for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

i am watching RTE2-HD right now... on Sky :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

God, thats expensive.

RTE HD is available through Sky.

There are loads of different models with different qualities. The EPG seems to be the same that sky use, I think its just part of the ASTRA 2 satellite. Functionality might not be as great as sky with series link and that but I could be wrong, I don't watch tv like that myself. Recording can be started by the stated epg times rather than some signal like sky so you can be out a bit if programs over or underrun. Not bad for free.

They're giving them away are they ? Now I am interested :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I have a phone line, and had it all neatly wired back to my tv before installer arrived. He had no interest at all in the phone line never mentioned it.

When you add in the price of the dish along with buying the box it was cheaper to go with Sky Entertainment extra for the year at half price.Even at full price its cheaper than that set up.

You can use your sky dish if you want after the year.
    Sky make you pay 15 quid a month for a HD pack for stations that are freely transmitted. I'd use a combo box which drops the hard drive and recording for €120.

• Advertisement

Sky make you pay 15 quid a month for a HD pack for stations that are freely transmitted. I'd use a combo box which drops the hard drive and recording for €120.

for €198 you could have got a dish and sky+ box.Free installation and full recording ability.Most of the HD channels aren't freely available either.
    The equipment is yours afer the year contract ,add saorview to the set up for a few quid and you have the same thing bar a few HD channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

I have rte hd with sky. funny that.

Freeview is rubbish. There is a reason most of the channels on it are there. its mostly rubbish.

show me a Freeview box with sky sports, espn, sky Atlantic, movies, too many individual channels to mention. show me a Freeview box that lets me watch these channels on my phone. anywhere anytime live.

What exactly are the 'loads' of hd channels your da gets for free?

Sky make you pay 15 quid a month for a HD pack for stations that are freely transmitted.
    Theirs a good load that aren't freely available aswell, Atlantic, living, watch, Syfy and universal off the top off my head.

Heres a good (brilliant) package channel listing.

N17er wrote: »

Freeview is rubbish. There is a reason most of the channels on it are there. its mostly rubbish.

show me a Freeview box with sky sports, espn, sky Atlantic, movies, too many individual channels to mention. show me a Freeview box that lets me watch these channels on my phone. anywhere anytime live.

Enjoy your watching your sky sports in a man u jersey and spending 70quid a month of your dole money on tv. Its not for everybody, just people who like watching the odd bit of high quality tv like bbc for free.

70quid a month of your dole money on tv.
    :eek::D And we'll leave it there.

Syfy? a cultured bunch here furthering the steretypes of the sky user. I tend to download most of my tv anyway so not that big into the whole sky plus thing. Once somebody is paying for it and watching ads they'll keep making decent stuff so please continue.

• Advertisement

Enjoy your watching your sky sports in a man u jersey and spending 70quid a month of your dole money on tv. Its not for everybody, just people who like watching the odd bit of high quality tv like bbc for free.

Is there a reason you didn't answer the question?

And its actually a spurs jersey and it costs 53 a month as its now half price and my misses pays it.

Run along now and stop spreading lies on something you clearly know little about.

Im sure there is something good on bravo or bbc3 to keep you entertained.

Syfy? a cultured bunch here furthering the steretypes of the sky user. I tend to download most of my tv anyway so not that big into the whole sky plus thing. Once somebody is paying for it and watching ads they'll keep making decent stuff so please continue.

Good man ,you came on here talking crap and have been pulled up on it.So you resort to insulting anyone who disagrees with you.
    Keep backtracking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

While I don't disagree that most TV is rubbish the freeview channels account for 75% of what is watched in the UK according to the statistics http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weekly-viewing?_s=4

Sky does have some decent channels but I'd pay an extra couple of euros to be able to delete the 550+ rubbish channels I'll never watch on sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gary The Gamer,

Less of the uninformed and unnecessary assumptions about members of the forum.

Let's get back on track now please!

As an aside, I have both Sky and Freesat - while Freesat is grand for most things, I'd miss even a lot of the basic stations only available on Sky - Sky One, Atlantic etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Basq wrote: »
    Gary The Gamer,

Less of the uninformed and unnecessary assumptions about members of the forum.

Let's get back on track now please!

As an aside, I have both Sky and Freesat - while Freesat is grand for most things, I'd miss even a lot of the basic stations only available on Sky - Sky One, Atlantic etc.

Sky for the living room. Freesat for the bedroom :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

I have freesat and Sky also and all the HD channels available on freesat are also available through Sky whether normally or added through 'Other Channels'.

I got the half price deal too so thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Tradnuts

i dont have a landline either i told them i did to avoid the 50 quid or whatever it was let me know how ya got on

Installed this morning, all working. I dont have a landline either, but Sky didnt ask about it when i rang up to order it.
    Installer didnt mention the land line today, neither did I. All set up now. Another 30 quid saved it would seem!! Happy days.

Will the installer go into the attic dont want him wrecking the gaff-is it a neat job

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kilkennykitten

Installed on Saturday evening. He didn't ask about any landline and I now have all the ITV channels including ITV1 HD on my planner as well as channel 5 so its happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MadDad

Installed on Saturday evening. He didn't ask about any landline and I now have all the ITV channels including ITV1 HD on my planner as well as channel 5 so its happy days.

Are they still only available under other channels and still unable to record?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kilkennykitten

MadDad wrote: »
    Are they still only available under other channels and still unable to record?

No, they are on the actual planner and I can record them all. When he put in my card he set up all the english channels using various codes. When he left I checked the channels and it was like I had the english set up as in 101 was bbc1, 102 was bbc2, 103 was ITV and so on. I had to ring sky to activate my card to get the sky channels and I was expecting to lose them so when my card was activated it went back to the Irish channel set up but I had ITV2 on 118, ITV 3 on 119, ITV 4 on 120, ITV 1 HD on 178 and various others like channel 5 + 1.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm getting my install this morning so got a call from the installer yesterday evening, sound bloke, I asked him about the landline and basically he was aluding that unless it's a multi-room job a landline is not required which suits me because of location of access points.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Install yesterday -

Happy out, HD in sitting room, set up an old HD box in the main bedroom and got the plus features activated on the new viewing card, set up the new non-recording box for freeview. All that and didnt even bother with the phone line!

I really think it depends on who comes to do your install tho, a neighbour wanted the exact same done last week and the installer told him he had to buy an octo LNB himself as they aren't supplied, ended up costing him €90 in a local shop!!

Installed today nice and neat job -didnt say aything about a phoneline happy days

Install yesterday -

Happy out, HD in sitting room, set up an old HD box in the main bedroom and got the plus features activated on the new viewing card, set up the new non-recording box for freeview. All that and didnt even bother with the phone line!

I really think it depends on who comes to do your install tho, a neighbour wanted the exact same done last week and the installer told him he had to buy an octo LNB himself as they aren't supplied, ended up costing him €90 in a local shop!!

I have 2 spare dishes and have 2 spare octo's and a few quad lnb's left over from various installs in rented houses over the years, I never had a problem asking the installer for a octo lnb so I could set up another box, they always obliged, for free. Obviously they have to supply it if you are getting 3 or 4 boxes installed, I'm sure sierra are supplying the installers with this stuff, its hardly coming from the installers pocket or priced into the job.

€90 for an octo in a shop??? Robbery!

• Advertisement
Advertisement