Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

N17er wrote: »
    I have 2 spare dishes and have 2 spare octo's and a few quad lnb's left over from various installs in rented houses over the years, I never had a problem asking the installer for a octo lnb so I could set up another box, they always obliged, for free. Obviously they have to supply it if you are getting 3 or 4 boxes installed, I'm sure sierra are supplying the installers with this stuff, its hardly coming from the installers pocket or priced into the job.

€90 for an octo in a shop??? Robbery!

Less than £15 on Amazon for one,if someone tried to charge me €90 I'd tell 'em to fuck off.

Sierra have a warehouse full of Sky stuff & any of their installers should have them in their van.Don't expect them to do extra work for free,it's their time & they have a quota of jobs per day so slipping them a few quid will get extras done (within reason)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

how much would ya think i should give the installer for running an extra cable from dish to bedroom when he is setting me up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

Depends on length and routing I would imagine. The cable is cheap and if it took him an extra 5 mins I'd try bribe him with tae and biscuits. In fairness you should offer the installer tae and something to eat when they first arrive, it butters them up for any favours and they are happy to help.

€20 is a bit much to run a cable but its probably what i'd ask for if it was a tricky run with drilling and clipping to wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Hi guys,

Looking to get sky multiroom (I already have one, am now looking for onr for my bedroom). I'm being told its 129 for installation and box and its the usual 129 pm. Anyone got any ideas or is there anyway around this or do I just need to pay it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

Whats 129pm?

If you want an extra box the cheapest way to do it is buy a 2nd hand box online or off a mate and run the cable yourself, its very easy in fairness. Then ring sky and tell them you want multiroom and get a viewing card sent out.

Alternatively, get a sky eye (http://www.tvtrade.ie/sky-magic-eye-en.html) to control the existing box and send the signal where you want multiroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

N17er wrote: »
    Whats 129pm?

If you want an extra box the cheapest way to do it is buy a 2nd hand box online or off a mate and run the cable yourself, its very easy in fairness. Then ring sky and tell them you want multiroom and get a viewing card sent out.

Alternatively, get a sky eye (http://www.tvtrade.ie/sky-magic-eye-en.html) to control the existing box and send the signal where you want multiroom.

Sorry meant 15 pm, per month. The one 129 is the set up costs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Lads got the half price deal from sky last year and its just finished so they have doubled the price.Thought they would email or ring to let me know but they didnt.
    Any way of getting the half price deal again or getting a good package from them.thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I notice this thread has been marked as unexpired? Has anybody rang up to order since September 27th?

(At least I think I remember the thread being marked as expired a couple of days ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

varberg wrote: »
    Lads got the half price deal from sky last year and its just finished so they have doubled the price.Thought they would email or ring to let me know but they didnt.
    Any way of getting the half price deal again or getting a good package from them.thanks

Cancel.

They will contact you a few days after with the offer.

• Advertisement

Media999 wrote: »
    Cancel.

Sounds good, but is a game of calling bluff.

If i cancel will i have sky taken off for those days and have no telly? or would i have to pay a reinstallation fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Cancel.

I'm surprised at statements like this as they are not factual. Yes Sky have called people with offers in the past but I know people personally who cancelled and didnt get a call back. So its a bit presumptuous to make such comments.

varberg wrote: »
    Sounds good, but is a game of calling bluff.

If i cancel will i have sky taken off for those days and have no telly? or would i have to pay a reinstallation fee?
    You have to give 30 days notice in any event so do ring in and threaten to cancel and see how you get on. Worse that can happen is they dont make you an offer when you call and proceed with the cancellation.

You will still have your channels for the following 30 days and if they dont call you back during that period ring in again before the 30 days are up and ask again for another offer. If they still dont give one you can say you changed your mind about cancelling and wish to remain as a subscriber. You wont have any interruption of service that way or no other charges to pay.

muffler wrote: »
    I'm surprised at statements like this as they are not factual. Yes Sky have called people with offers in the past but I know people personally who cancelled and didnt get a call back. So its a bit presumptuous to make such comments.

You have to give 30 days notice in any event so do ring in and threaten to cancel and see how you get on. Worse that can happen is they dont make you an offer when you call and proceed with the cancellation.

You will still have your channels for the following 30 days and if they dont call you back during that period ring in again before the 30 days are up and ask again for another offer. If they still dont give one you can say you changed your mind about cancelling and wish to remain as a subscriber. You wont have any interruption of service that way or no other charges to pay.

Ok thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Cancel.

Just called and cancelled myself... well they are to call me back and confirm the cancel. Don't really expect that call but I did ask the guy that there was a note on my account that I was cancelling.

I was on a half price for 6 months, and 12 months before that. Had a reminder on my phone but it didn't move across to my new phone so looking at over €100 next month..

They offered me 25% off but wasn't biting - gonna string it out for my 50% until the service actually stops on 12th Nov. After that its FTA until I get a decent offer or new customer deal:D

Fcuking cursing myself I didn't call last month as my move to new phone is now costing me €40 caused of missed reminder!

Just off the phone with "cancellations" and got another deal. Gone from €68 up to €77 P/M but for 12 months now. Happy enough with that... can hack the extra €9 P/M.

Signing up to the On Demand now that all sorted:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

Just off the phone with "cancellations" and got another deal. Gone from €68 up to €77 P/M but for 12 months now. Happy enough with that... can hack the extra €9 P/M.

So you're paying an extra €9 per month now and you're happy? .. Am I missing something here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Gaw_ wrote: »
    So you're paying an extra €9 per month now and you're happy? .. Am I missing something here?
    Still a discount on whatever it should be. Just less of one.

Thats the way I'm reading it anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What kind of box did any of you guys that got multiroom get for your main box? Was it a Sky+ box or a Sky +HD box? The info on their website is confusing.

Gaw_ wrote: »

Happy enough.. Not fully happy, not 100% happy... just enough happy. 3 young kids so €9 extra a month is a small price to pay for sanity sometimes.

Are you happy enough with that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Haver the engineer calling tomorrow between 12 and 6. Does he ring you to let you know the exact time or what's the story does he just turn up? I have taken a few hours off work but I don't really want to be sitting around waiting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He rang us the evening before with a time, turned up within a half hour of it so that wasn't bad

• Advertisement

What kind of box did any of you guys that got miltiroom get for your main box? Was it a Sky+ box or a Sky +HD box? The info on their website is confusing.

The main box is a Plus Box,the multiroom boxes are HD boxes but have no recording facility.If you take a HD sub with multiroom,you get the HD package on all the boxes for one price.

I thought the main recording box was Sky+HD & that Sky had discontinued the older Sky+ boxes. I'm not interested in the HD package. Only reason I'm tolerating them at all is because of this offer. And I got the multiroom for €10:)

I thought the main recording box was Sky+HD & that Sky had discontinued the older Sky+ boxes. I'm not interested in the HD package. Only reason I'm tolerating them at all is because of this offer. And I got the multiroom for €10:)

By plus box I mean Sky+HD, Sky themselves call them plus boxes these days.The old white ones are obsolete & Sky don't supply them so the HD+ boxes are the norm now.

With the half price offer you'd have gotten Multiroom & HD together for €10 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Hi,

Is the 12.50 per month deal still available for sky? (it's 12 months right?)

Hi,

Is the 12.50 per month deal still available for sky? (it's 12 months right?)

No, its gone. But if you're already with them, you should ring and hassle for a reduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Hey. Looking for advice. Trying to sort my parents out with discount n the sky. They currently have the basic entertainment pack for 31e a month and have a sky plus box. I don't have a clue about sky packages and the likes but was wondering if there is anything I can say onthe phone to maybe get a reduction or an upgrade to HD box which they would like. Any pointers appreciated. Not really used to playing bluff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hey. Looking for advice. Trying to sort my parents out with discount n the sky. They currently have the basic entertainment pack for 31e a month and have a sky plus box. I don't have a clue about sky packages and the likes but was wondering if there is anything I can say onthe phone to maybe get a reduction or an upgrade to HD box which they would like. Any pointers appreciated. Not really used to playing bluff!
    I dont think anyone has ever been able to definitively nail down how Sky offers work or how and when they are made available. But what is pretty evident is the length of time people have been subscribed for is certainly a factor - basically how much money Sky have made form their subscription.

First up you need to call them and be prepared to haggle a bit. From reading other posts the best results are achieved by threatening to cancel and proceed with cancelling if necessary but the chances are that they will make an offer before it comes to that. If they dont make an offer or make a decent offer and you proceed to cancel they will most likely then phone back within the 30 days cancellation period and make an offer. In any event you can always cancel and worse case scenario is ring again before the 30 days is up and say you changed your mind and wish to remain as a customer.

Personally I would call and say I cant afford the monthly sub and as freeview is becoming available I'd opt for that. At the very least I would be expecting to get 25% min. reduction together with a new subsidised box but you will just need to play it out and weigh up the savings. They could give a reduced monthly sub or they could give a new box with free installation but would then tie you down to another 12 month contract possibly. Do the homework before agreeing to anything.

I'd advise looking for a new box on Adverts.ie where you should pick up a new one for anything from €50 - €70. There's a guy in Waterford selling the 1 Terabyte Sky+ HD boxes for €100 on Adverts.

Get your own box and then see if you can hammer out a good deal with Sky in relation to the monthly sub or ring first and threaten to cancel.

Cheers I might give them a ring tomorrow!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I rang up and got a 25% discount without any problems. Did the same for my parents.

Will ring at end of month and state it's still not affordable and see what happens. Looking for the 50%

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I rang up and got a 25% discount without any problems. Did the same for my parents.

Will ring at end of month and state it's still not affordable and see what happens. Looking for the 50%

But 12.50 is available on the website -

It says monthly cost 25, with offers 12.50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

But 12.50 is available on the website -

It says monthly cost 25, with offers 12.50
    Where? Can you supply a link please?

sky.com/ireland

say you're a new customer:

you get the following in your order summary:

Monthly costs

Sky TV

€12.50
    - Sky Entertainment

Upfront Payment: 25 EURO off Sky TV bill

One off costs

Sky+ box

Free

Free Sky+ Box: when joining Sky TV

Upfront payment

€25

TV standard set-up

Free

Free: Install

Benefits and extras

On Demand

Free

Monthly cost with offers

€12.50
    One off cost

€25

sky.com/ireland

say you're a new customer:

you get the following in your order summary:

Monthly costs

Sky TV

€12.50
    - Sky Entertainment

Upfront Payment: 25 EURO off Sky TV bill
    On second glance at this it appears its not half price thats 12.50 off for the first 2 months. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

Sorry, I haven't read all 46 pages but I take it this is a new customer only offer? I just got off a long call with Sky after seeing that their 'New Bundle' price on the website was €12 less per month than I am (and have been for 3 years) currently paying for the Entertainment Extra, Sports and HD pack.

Best I could get out of them was a 10% discount on the entertainment pack, and being quoted terms and conditions for 10 minutes and told that somebody in the cancellations dept doesn't have access to their bundle prices so couldn't comment on the prices offered on their website! I even said I would cancel sky and was told that was fine but they wouldn't let me re-subscribe for 12 months.

Ronan wrote: »
    Sorry, I haven't read all 46 pages but I take it this is a new customer only offer? I just got off a long call with Sky after seeing that their 'New Bundle' price on the website was €12 less per month than I am (and have been for 3 years) currently paying for the Entertainment Extra, Sports and HD pack.

Best I could get out of them was a 10% discount on the entertainment pack, and being quoted terms and conditions for 10 minutes and told that somebody in the cancellations dept doesn't have access to their bundle prices so couldn't comment on the prices offered on their website! I even said I would cancel sky and was told that was fine but they wouldn't let me re-subscribe for 12 months.
    Ring up and say you want to cancel, then they'll most likely ring you with a better deal in the next 30 days, if not ring back up in about 27 days and say you changed your mind and want to keep sky.
    Or
    You could ring up and cancel straight away. Then get your wife/somebody else at the address to go online and sign up in their name, they'll have no problem getting the discounts.

On the phone with them here. Had to go through all the way to cancellations and told him to cancel before he spoke to his manager and then got 20% off! Better that nothing. He also said that if I cancel then I can't open a new account with the same address for 12 months which I found strange. I don't know if it is true or are they just trying to scare off the people who would cancel and sign up in wife's name with discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 punksanders

I rang up to cancel a month ago having explained that I was getting poor value for money as I was only watching the sports. The guy offered a small amount off the bill, less than a tenner. I told him that was still not worth my while and he offered to cancel immediately, which he did and I haven't heard from them since. The guy was delighted, just basically said 'off with you so'! I had been a sky customer for two and a half years and was paying for full movies and sport in HD for most of it. Before ending the phone call he told me that I would be barred from returning to sky at the same address for 12 months!! Unbelievably arrogant, I'm never going back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I rang up to cancel a month ago having explained that I was getting poor value for money as I was only watching the sports. The guy offered a small amount off the bill, less than a tenner. I told him that was still not worth my while and he offered to cancel immediately, which he did and I haven't heard from them since. The guy was delighted, just basically said 'off with you so'! I had been a sky customer for two and a half years and was paying for full movies and sport in HD for most of it. Before ending the phone call he told me that I would be barred from returning to sky at the same address for 12 months!! Unbelievably arrogant, I'm never going back to them.

If you got his name you should complain.
    there is nothing stopping anyone going back to a service they cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 punksanders

From what others have posted in this thread, Sky's cancellations department seem to say this to everyone cancelling - that they will be prevented from resuming service at the same address for 12 months. It's probably an empty threat but I found it to be pretty offensive to be honest. I wasn't even that set on cancelling, I just wanted a discount!!

• Advertisement

From what others have posted in this thread, Sky's cancellations department seem to say this to everyone cancelling - that they will be prevented from resuming service at the same address for 12 months. It's probably an empty threat but I found it to be pretty offensive to be honest. I wasn't even that set on cancelling, I just wanted a discount!!

I phoned a few months ago to cancel multiroom, got offered a discount but still cancelled and installed saorview/fta in the room.

I then phoned to cancel the main box and got offered half price at €17 something which I took.
    I found them polite and courteous all the way through.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Bet they won't continue with that attitude if they start getting loads of people moving to UPC.

They'll contact you within the next few weeks & guaranteed that you'll be offered half price if you go back,especially as you were on a premium package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Sky customaer 11 years, original dish, offered diddly squat, cancelled in Oct and have not heard from them since nor do I want to.

However if I was a savy Sky employee I would be reading this thread so perhaps it is time to open a new thread away from Bargain Alerts to discuss the merits of current offers from Sky. As it stands there is no bargain alert for Sky and this thread should be closed and another discussion opened up in another fora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Google doesn't just search the bargain alerts thread :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Sky customaer 11 years, original dish, offered diddly squat, cancelled in Oct and have not heard from them since nor do I want to.

However if I was a savy Sky employee I would be reading this thread so perhaps it is time to open a new thread away from Bargain Alerts to discuss the merits of current offers from Sky. As it stands there is no bargain alert for Sky and this thread should be closed and another discussion opened up in another fora.
    This is the same as myself, I'm certainly not in any rush to go back either!! Was a customer for 8 years, cancelled, main thing was I wanted an updated box free and a decent offer (still have the old white one) no dice at all, from the original guy and the call back guy. Strangely they don't seem to value long term customers at all. I find it a very wierd business practice. The amount of 1 and 2 year old customers being offered everything under the sun to stay, but like yourself, long term customers allowed just leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Still no word on Broadband?

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Still no word on Broadband?

Was wondering that myself, supposed to be early November :confused:

I went with them last year to get everything installed to go fta. it worked out cheaper with the cheque of 100 plus 70 from fatcheese. I've gone fta on 1 box and paying 17 on the other. ...for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

I rang them last week after looking at this thread. I had just come off a 6 month half price deal. Think it was around 70 Euro. Bearing in mind I have the full package with HD and multi-room.

I rang and got through to cork, told them that I am now on the dole and cant afford the new price which is around 103 or close to it. Crazy money to be fair. I said with Saorview coming out I would like to cancel. Straight away he offered 25%, I said thanks, a great offer but I cant afford it. He then said what about free multi room? I was about to cave in knowing that the half price deal had ended but I had nothing to lose I guess. I said that's very kind but I cant afford it, even with the half price deal I had I struggled to pay it. Go ahead and cancel. He passed me on to a supervisor.

She came on and said you have been speaking to my colleague and I understand you want to cancel?, I reiterated what I told him about the dole and Saorview etc and said I really enjoy sky but other priorities have to come first. She then said what about half price? At this stage I had kinda forgot what I was offered and was delighted that I had managed to get this off them and nearly said YES, that would be great but the words out of my mouth didn't match. I said to her you know what?, that is really generous but I think I would still struggle. Before I almost threw the phone in the fire she said, OK, the best I can do is 50 Euro a month for 6 months? I stopped for a few seconds and composed myself before calmly saying, that is extremely generous and I will have to accept.

So that one phone call saved me quite a few pound, happy out I thought! Although the trip to the pub later on that evening negated much of the saving. Anyway, thanks SKY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Ste05,
    Exactly, very strange why newbies are looked after and not the "early adopters".

Changes at the top of marketing are needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement