Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

I have it a few weeks now.

I find it good and the family seem to enjoy it. However there are a few points.

1. The TV is considered only ok, judging by the reviews. For me its better than any TV I already had in the house. Picture quality and sound quality are excellent so far.
    2. It has worked perfectly for me so far. The streams all work instantly.
    3. The search isn't great, but apparently they plan to work on that. I have a couple of Apple TV's around as well and they blow it away in this regard.
    4. I never really used any recording functionality anyway so I don't care about that. We haven't really made use of the playlist yet either, so I'm not sure how that will work out.

If I had to sum it up, I would say its fine. Its not for everyone. If I was in a place where I could put up a dish and antenna I would probably be happy with my old zgemma for freesat and saorview. But if I strip away all the short term deals, I got €200 off a better TV and can get an OTT tv service not tied to my broadband. Which is what I wanted. If all I do is pay for the TV I have the TV service for €27 with Netflix and I was already paying for Netflix. I was also paying for HBO through a DNS proxy so I have all their stuff now too through Sky Atlantic and boxsets. That was costing about another €15. So all of this will cost me less.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭McGaz23

Anyone try this, did it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭McGaz23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭celt262

It seems to be difficult enough to do but i think you could get away with it by using a different surname (wife sign up with maiden name) but she would probably need bank account in that name also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 andy6

My brother's living with us or a year, and wants sky sports for his room. No probs with that except I'll have to call sky to get a multi room package with extra skysports on it. Apart from the pain of trying to actually get someone on the phone, I'm still in contract. Otherwise, I wud have chanced getting a whole new package in his name. I have Q and like recording. Any ideas /suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,452 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sounds like one of those situations where Now TV is the perfect solution for him. It's an awful lot of hassle and money getting multiroom for only a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Captain Don Thorpe

For the beneift of anyone trying to negotiate with them: Cancelled Sky and cut off a few weeks ago. Had Sky Sports, Sports Extra, Netflix and UHD. Bill was going up to a ridiculous €148 p/m. They called me yesterday and offered the same package for €55 for six months, then €70 for the next six plus €50 credit. I rejected it since I'm not interested in watching much at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ben36

Interesting as cancelled myself over 2 weeks ago,I’m paying €143 just for tv and still no offers like previous times,I’ll hold out and see if anything comes but if it’s cut off it’s cut off but if I got an offer like yours I’d snap their hand off as I’ll miss the sports

That's an absolute bargain, don't know why you didn't take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

2 months after cancelling my tv I got a call. Offering me the basic tv package for €19.99 a month. Free installation and box.

Told them no as have an old hd box so get some basic uk channels and stream Irish players covers me and probably a lot of others.

I guess their q box helped break the model of a non sub but with a box but their model really relies on getting people on premium channels and along Netflix and the likes through them. It’s a model hanging by a thread with the cost of living issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭apache

This would matter to me.

I rang Sky a while back to see if I could save anything but they couldn't help. My €70 bill breaks down to basic package €40, HD €10 and multiroom €20. I don't really want to lose anything.

I recently got a fire stick. Maybe I should just cancel the whole thing.

You’ve got to cancel and make it out that you don’t need them. It’s always no to anything they ask. Have you kids no. Even if you’ve 20 kids. The cost is to much for the value. Box sets. I watch Netflix you say or prime. I watch some rte or virgin but I can watch that on the player. Can turn in itv and bbc in other channels.

Ive just moved to a new house. I am on a budget. I don't want Sky as its too expensive. Signed up for Pure Telecom today for 30euro a month for 12 months (inc VAT). I don't have an aerial or satelitte dish., its a brand new house in Kerry. I have a TV but not a Smart TV. How can I get saoirview TV? Also how to I get a "free to air" box, is that something I can just buy somewhere?

Apart from that I will only be watching Netflix or Prime TV when I get my broadband or from hotspotting in the meantime. I heard firesticks don't work in Ireland? Any help would be great, or Mod please move if you need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭bromley52

Fire Sticks do work. If it is something cheap and cheerful you want, a NOW TV stick would do you for Netflix and Prime. They have been on offer from €10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Masala

They must be back on Sales Drive again... got a call to take Sports Package (1+2+BT) + Cinema + HD for €19.98 for 6 months on top of my basic package .....

So took it for the benefit of teh family over Xmas and let the battle begin next May 2023!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I went into Shop in Blanch other day.

I was paying VM €71.49 per month for just 240meg broadband and no tv. They wouldn’t move when I enquired about their free tv deal which a girl in work signed up to for €2.50 a month more than I was paying. I was offered same package with no free TV …..€100 was best he would do. Told him to cancel and he got snotty with me saying people don’t want to pay for anything anymore and he hung up (well transferred me) mid sentence.

anyway, back to Sky. I was offered a few deals. Signed up for €50 a month 500mb broadband, fibre to the house I think…… need a new line. Means no more house phone unless I pay extra but never really use it that often so not bothered. We also get Sky Q basic TV pack with that deal. It would be a match to what VM were offering me……… half the price

incidentally I was buying a new tv also so did consider the Sky Glass. It’s a great looking TV, with super sound, but it’s a bit daft anyone buying it. It is a smart TV, but ONLY if you have an active Sky subscription. Let the Sun lapse and it’s no longer a smart TV.

Not the case of not paying anymore it’s the price they charge. Sky thinking people will pay €40 a month for basic tv is madness. Broadband prices are just going up and up. €70 for broadband is very high. I think €30-50 is fair depending on speed. Most basic speed package will do the vast majority of people. Landline who has just a landline and not a mobile. Very few be my guess.

World Cup has to hurt sky as nobody wants sports during this time. You can watch every game without a tv sub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Finally convinced my wife to get sky cancelled ( €85 for basic sky , multi room and netflix) and stocked up on now TV sticks etc .. 3 weeks after we were cut off, sky calls again and, after my wife telling we really didn't need sky anymore, she was offered the same package for €31/m for 12 months.. Since NF alone would have been €15/month, I couldn't really argue with that

• Registered Users Posts: 48 washburn73

I've been with Sky for 12 years. 4 TVs in the house - Sky Q Box + 3 Q Mini Boxes. Had a lot of add-ons to the basic package: Entertainment, Movies, Sports, Sports Extra, HD, etc.

About 6 months ago, my bill went up to €155 per month. Simply wasn't going to pay that. Rang them, asked if there was anything they could do for me. Got a fella on the phone who clearly wasn't interested so I just cut the Movies and brought the bill down by €9 per month. Sent an email to them saying that as a loyal customer I was very disappointed in the way that they stealthily remove the discounts and increase the prices - and that loyal customers don't get the same deal as new customers. Heard nothing (not surprised). One month before the contract was up, I rang to say that I wanted to cancel. Gave my 31 days notice and bar a few emails with the standard "deals", I've heard nothing from them. Due to expire in early December.

In the meantime, I've got an Android TV box and signed up for an IPTV service. Offers me everything I get from Sky (and more) for 1/6th of the cost. No brainer. My only regret is that I wished that I had done it sooner!

Maybe I get calls from Sky with an improved offer after my service expires next week or maybe I don't. They've lost me for good now anyway.

I just don't understand the business model where you annoy customers to the point where they shop around, find a better alternative and quit... only to then reach out to that same customer offering a much improved deal AFTER they've gone! Surely, it's much more economical to negotiate with the customer while you still have them and provide some demonstration that loyalty works both ways.

I'd say that they will really struggle with subscription numbers over the course of the next year as the cost of living really starts to bite and people actively look for better value elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

Did the yearly call for my parents. Sports and signature last year for €52 12 months. This year got same for €51 but sports only for 6 months, I asked but didn’t push for 12 months sports as it’ll be May when I’ve to renew or cancel the sports so should should be easy enough to get it for same price then.

19 years customers with 1 year on a different account in between when they wouldn’t give me offers so no complaints here.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 washburn73

Just packaged up my Sky Box (and 3 mini Q boxes) for return earlier today.... and of course, just received a text offering 50% off for 12 months this evening!

Sorry, Sky - too late.

What overpaid consultant came up with the bright idea to wait until the customer had cancelled the service before deciding to make a new offer to keep them?!?

Absolutely nonsensical policy. They've already lost this customer. But they would have kept me if they'd been prepared to negotiate prior to my contract ending.

I won't be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭bmc58

Hard to please some people.Many would be delighted with this offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Sky customer from '03 til '21. Many of those years a quick call to the loyalty team at the end of the contract was enough to secure a good discount for another 12 months....

Last year, got no joy from them and wasn't prepared to pay full whack so went through with a cancellation. They never got back to me 6 weeks after cutoff. Signed up as a new customer for a 50% discount for 12 months and with the added benefit of getting a Sky Q box.

12 month discount about to run out again, called in and only offered a few quid off the full price. After refusing that, offered "Sky Q Lite" for €10 pm which sounds like just the basic satellite channels with recording capability, but no documentaries or box sets. Decided to go through with the cancellation. They no longer put you through to a "last chance saloon" agent who will offer you the same deal you're on or something similar. The model now seems to be let the customer cancel and possible off them 40 or 50% off deal after the cutoff, or just let them cancel and sign back up!

Seems needlessly admin heavy but theyve obviously done it the other way for many years and have decided this makes them more money.

Oh well, it appears to be like motor insurance. All the benefits accrue to new signups so that's the best way to do it.

More than likely you give sky more money than car insurance but you don’t here Pearse Doherty standing up and shouting about it for tv, bb, electricity, gas etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Not quite but not far off. Tbh, I'm not a big tv watcher anymore but I'm prepared to pay €25 per month max mainly for their fantastic recording facility which means I don't see any ads unless, very occasionally, I'm watching live TV. I can't justify spending anymore than that especially when I'm spending €50 pm in rural Ireland for good broadband and theres plenty of other services, both free and cheaper than Sky, that I can avail of.

My neighbour was in the same boat earlier in the year and they let him cancel to before offering it for €19 pm a few days before the services cancelled. He didnt take them up on it. I think they need to realize that this isnt 2005 anymore. Asking people to pay 35/40/45 pm for their bog standard package isnt realistic when everyone now has broadband and lots of other streaming options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Rang Sky to cancel brother's account today.

He was paying €191 for BB, 2 Multirooms, all sports and ordinary stations on a Sky Q box.

Started off I wanted cancellations, and after a lot of waffling, bloke said "hang on, let's see what we can do".

After a few minutes came back with new price of €138.

Didn't ask for breakdown or anything further, just got them to cancel anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭jos22

texted them today. as bill next bill was going to be 43.5 for basic package, best they said you do was 33 for 12months, last year they renew at 28, said that offer was not available to them this year

Advertisement