Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was onto them today to see what discount extension I would get for my entertainment package.

I had 8 euro off up till now. I was offered 6.50.
    I was going to cancel immediately but I would have ended up paying full price for the next month, so I got him to apply it for 9 months.

I was told I was one of a select few getting a discount ! (nearly got out my sick bag at that one:))

Anyway, this is the plan and I need some help on the best deal.

I'm planning on putting in a combo box for the FTA and then using my Now TV to get Entertainment (currently at £4.99 pm) and movies (currently at 6.99 pm). This totals £11.99 or about 14 euro. Currently paying sky tv €22.50.

My problem is the broadband and phone. I'm currently with Sky paying them €27 per month but the BB is terrible. Getting 6mbps if I'm doing well, despite a promise of 12 mbps.

So who can I go with for a decent service and still save money.?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Phoned up to cancel my Sky sub during the week, was out of contract, and my HD pack (which had been discounted) was back up to full price.

Basically, i was offered my current package (Entertainment Extra + HD Pack) for €35 per month.
    Took them up on it - as the deal does not tie me down to a contract - i can decide to up and leave in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mr Velo wrote: »
    i can decide to up and leave in the morning.
    or to be precise....31 mornings ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

muffler wrote: »
    or to be precise....31 mornings ;)

How right you are Pedantic Pat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

My problem is the broadband and phone. I'm currently with Sky paying them €27 per month but the BB is terrible. Getting 6mbps if I'm doing well, despite a promise of 12 mbps.

if you change your BB to someone else will you still be using the same infrastructure ? Would your speed be any different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

donegal. wrote: »
    if you change your BB to someone else will you still be using the same infrastructure ? Would your speed be any different?

yea

Eircom have Fibre, Sky don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

stevieob wrote: »
    yea

Eircom have Fibre, Sky don't
    I think that should read something like.....possibly, Eircom have efibre available in some areas. Sky dont, yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Do they have any going offer for broadband and phone or would I just be better off going to Vodafone for up to 100Mb Fibre?

Do they have any going offer for broadband and phone or would I just be better off going to Vodafone for up to 100Mb Fibre?

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    I think that should read something like.....possibly, Eircom have efibre available in some areas. Sky dont, yet.

They have fibre in Cabra :)

I was looking at their 30 per month deal for 6 months with 60 afterwards.

Add a tenner for unlimited BB usage and anytime calls, Its not a bad deal.
    includes telephone, BB and mobile

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Try 0999103

tried that number but can't get thought, as if its engaged all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

stevieob wrote: »
    tried that number but can't get thought, as if its engaged all the time

that's the number they ring from, one of them anyway

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82188283 post 5

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84944988 post 3

this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89305943&postcount=1453
    It is not a proper number.

what is it then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

They have fibre in Cabra :)

I was looking at their 30 per month deal for 6 months with 60 afterwards.

Add a tenner for unlimited BB usage and anytime calls, Its not a bad deal.
    includes telephone, BB and mobile

I thought you were with Blueface for the mobile?

I thought you were with Blueface for the mobile?

I am for now. Can't use premium numbers and pay my parking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭wawaman

Has anyone had any call backs with offers from Sky if they have cancelled Sky Sports? My deal is up on Friday and i can just cancel as the months notice will take me past the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Doodah7

wawaman wrote: »
    Has anyone had any call backs with offers from Sky if they have cancelled Sky Sports? My deal is up on Friday and i can just cancel as the months notice will take me past the end of the season

Rang and cancelled Sports in mid-February and the thirty days ran out in the middle of March. I have heard nothing during the thirty days or since... don't miss it tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Del007

I seem to remember someone posting a link on here for a deal with vodafone for home phone and broadband for current vodafone bill customers.

Can anyone find that or have any info on this?

Cheers

finally got to speak to someone in Sky who could and has honoured the half price deal I was offered.

12 months of HD movies and sports ahead of me now, roll on next Wednesday for the install :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

Rang sky myself got 20% off tv service for 9 months and €20 off broadband for 4 months

Happy enough with the offer very little helps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

wawaman wrote: »

I canceled Sky Sports 1 a few days ago and they didnt offer me anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

mikeym wrote: »
    I canceled Sky Sports 1 a few days ago and they didnt offer me anything.

Don't worry. You'll get plenty of offers in due course. I cancelled in October, and last week got my 3rd begging letter to go back to them the offer was half price on everything for 9 months.

On a side note I see they are offering 75% off in UK, as they are losing customers in droves to BT & Virgin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Had a call from sky during week offering HD pack for one year for €5 per month.

thomasm wrote: »
    Had a call from sky during week offering HD pack for one year for €5 per month.

Don't accept, they can make a much better offer than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭sue97

Thinking of moving to sky. I want multiroom tv (ie 2 rooms), good broadband, phone line. Just wondering what's a good deal from sky for this package. Anyone on anything similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Sky are offering the €36 standard bundle for €23.50 for 12 months to new customers. Add sports or movies if you want and then add multi room. It's on their website as you build the bundles.

I got a letter from them before saying that you no longer need a phone line for multi room going forward and should I get any letters saying connect to a phone line to ignore them as it's just automated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

and what about other things like on demand as they state to connect box up to router does one need a phoneline on the old service?

greasepalm wrote: »
    and what about other things like on demand as they state to connect box up to router does one need a phoneline on the old service?

No on demand will need an Internet connection to maximise your services but some people won't use on demand so it's just handy for them to know they no longer need a phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Do you need a phoneline for the broadband and what is the broadband like for watching Netflix etc?

You do need a phone line for the broadband yes. We had sky broadband for a year and it was perfect for Netflix. No problem at all watchig it

• Advertisement

Do you know how much they charge for setting up a phone line?

Reconnection is free of your line is still in situ. Sky often find it hard to find your house unless there's a house number ie 1 Main Street or 249 Chapel Street etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Are you sure it's not TWO months? I just tried it now, and it's 23.50 for two months because you pay an upfront payment of 25 EUR.
    Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Sky are offering the €36 standard bundle for €23.50 for 12 months to new customers. Add sports or movies if you want and then add multi room. It's on their website as you build the bundles.

I got a letter from them before saying that you no longer need a phone line for multi room going forward and should I get any letters saying connect to a phone line to ignore them as it's just automated

Yeah I know you pay €25 upfront but then it says below on going monthly cost €15.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Don't worry. You'll get plenty of offers in due course. I cancelled in October, and last week got my 3rd begging letter to go back to them the offer was half price on everything for 9 months.

On a side note I see they are offering 75% off in UK, as they are losing customers in droves to BT & Virgin.

Its a pity we dont have proper competition over here :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭wawaman

Rang them up today and got another 3 months half price for the sports package. I previously had half price for the first four months of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭loopymum

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Reconnection is free of your line is still in situ. Sky often find it hard to find your house unless there's a house number ie 1 Main Street or 249 Chapel Street etc

I had this experience with Sky and they couldn't find my house, bring on postcodes please;)

They mentioned an ARD Key that can only be got from Eircom, but they said eircom don't usually give them out.
    I worded a very nice request to Eircom and emailed them and they gave me the key:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

Just rang them up and got movies half price until the end if July. I already had hd for a fiver that ends around that time as well so he told me to ring back in July for another offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

scudzilla wrote: »
    Been with Sky 12months next month, we have the Entertainment Extra package at 36/month.

Rang up to cancel yesterday, the best he'd give me was to drop it to 28.

Went ahead and cancelled, now to play the waiting game

I lost, sky cancelled 5 days ago and not a phone call, gonna hold out though, they're not gonna win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry3

UPC boards.ie offer is 23 euro for HD(99 channels) with 30GB internet for 6 months, then 61 euro For 6 months. 12 month contract, therefore 504 euro.

My half price sky tv is up soon and with the 5 euro HD pack still running, entertainment extra HD will shoot up to 41 euro for the year, therefore 492 euro. Sky broadband offer is half price for 12 mths which is 240 euro. Total 732 euro.

228 euros more for sky. There is haggling grounds already!

Gonna ring up and cancel because that UPC is serious value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Chemistry3 wrote: »
    Gonna ring up and cancel because that UPC is serious value.

It would be great value if it actually worked. Go into the UPC Horizon thread and look at the posts from unhappy customers and then decide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

There is currently a friends and family offer which would give you Sky half price for 12 months to new customers. It may be worth mentioning this if you are looking to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry3

There is currently a friends and family offer which would give you Sky half price for 12 months to new customers. It may be worth mentioning this if you are looking to sign up.

Should i cancel and get the wife to sign up with a slightly changed address? :)

Chemistry3 wrote: »
    Should i cancel and get the wife to sign up with a slightly changed address? :)

I have never failed to get half price by simply threatening to cancel so I dont see why you would need that effort. This time of year is surely a great time to cancel.

Do you know If that includes the broadband? Although my parents have just the tv pack

• Advertisement

Do you know If that includes the broadband? Although my parents have just the tv pack

I doubt the broadband is as hard to sell. I would assume not.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

scudzilla wrote: »
    I lost, sky cancelled 5 days ago and not a phone call, gonna hold out though, they're not gonna win

Be patient. :-)
    I was without sky for 2 weeks after himself threw a strop with them over a service call.
    When they rang to ask him to come back they offered €100 credit, and 75% off for 9 months. So it works out at nearly 11 months free tv for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sky's figures will be published next week and they are losing market share so will do anything to hold onto/get new subscribers.It's getting to the stage that any money is better than none coming in from customers.
    Never a better time to get a deal plus with the EPL coming to an end many customers downgrade or cancel for the Summer,with the fear that they may not re-subscribe expect to get discounts on your sub.

• zerks wrote: »
    Sky's figures will be published next week and they are losing market share so will do anything to hold onto/get new subscribers.It's getting to the stage that any money is better than none coming in from customers.
    Never a better time to get a deal plus with the EPL coming to an end many customers downgrade or cancel for the Summer,with the fear that they may not re-subscribe expect to get discounts on your sub.

Tue story, parents managed to get 6 months Sky Sports twice in a row in there gaf for the last year.

It's a bit of a lottery who you get on the end of the phone so the results can vary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Be patient. :-)
    I was without sky for 2 weeks after himself threw a strop with them over a service call.
    When they rang to ask him to come back they offered €100 credit, and 75% off for 9 months. So it works out at nearly 11 months free tv for us

Its 2 months since i cancelled.
    During the 30 days notice i got two calls offering me movies for half price and no calls since.

• Advertisement
Advertisement