Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

donegal. wrote: »
    Its 2 months since i cancelled.
    During the 30 days notice i got two calls offering me movies for half price and no calls since.

Ring them. You've nothing too lose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I rang on Saturday morning to cancel or get a discount. The lady on the phone was overly friendly and very nice. She said that they could give me a 15% discount and a free wifi connector for the back of the box to make the on demand service easier to use. I declined the offer and was told that she had to get the deactivation code from her manager. 5 minutes later and she came back and said her manager had approved a one time only offer of 20% off and that really was the best she could offer. I again declined and explained that I know people have been receiving 50% off their bills and that I can switch to UPC for €39 a month, and would she please proceed with the 30 days notice.
    At this point she got very abrupt on the phone and grunted that she would do it now and then hung up.
    I just hope they ring back in the next 30 days otherwise the missus will kill me if we loose the tv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Just cancelled my Sky Sports and there was no offer to try change my mind. Was only asked why I was cancelling it & when I said the Heineken Cup will be over after my 30 days notice, I was told that's fine and they would go ahead with the cancellation.

Not too fussed with getting another offer from them for the sports channels as I didn't watch them nearly as often as I thought I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Just cancelled my Sky Sports and there was no offer to try change my mind. Was only asked why I was cancelling it & when I said the Heineken Cup will be over after my 30 days notice, I was told that's fine and they would go ahead with the cancellation.

Not too fussed with getting another offer from them for the sports channels as I didn't watch them nearly as often as I thought I would.

They aren't as concerned about people downgrading, especially dropping sports at this time of the year. You have to threaten to leave entirely. State price as the reason and that Freesat/UPC etc have more for less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Ring them. You've nothing too lose!

my tv has freesat and saorview and i'm very happy with them. Much better for hd channels and free, the only thing i'm missing is series link.

(i'm also liking the look of xbmc)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

I left cancelled in March, got the below email this afternoon off them, I never received any calls and it seemed like they didn't seem to fussed when I was cancelling. I've made other arrangements so won't be returning but still a good offer :-)

We're sorry to hear that you've decided to leave Sky. We don't want to lose you, so we're giving you 50% off terrific Sky TV for 9 months if you come back by 22 May.

1. Better value for money than ever with Sky TV, from just €14 a month

2. All the action, half the price - we'll give you 50% off your favourite sports for the next 9 months

There are even more ways to watch the shows you love with Sky Go

Watch whatever you want, whenever you want, with Ireland's biggest Catch Up TV service.
    3. Sky Go lets you take your TV with you on your laptop, tablet or mobile device

4. You'll get totally Unlimited Sky Broadband free for 9 months

5. To get all this, call our award-winning customer service team before 22 May on 0818 719 815

We hope you agree that all this fantastic TV at 50% off for 9 months is worth coming back for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

donegal. wrote: »
    my tv has freesat and saorview and i'm very happy with them. Much better for hd channels and free, the only thing i'm missing is series link.

(i'm also liking the look of xbmc)
    Which TV? Mine has Freesat/Saorview and the series link on both works well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Which TV? Mine has Freesat/Saorview and the series link on both works well.

panasonic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe Sky are keeping tabs on this thread? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Wexy86 wrote: »
    I left cancelled in March, got the below email this afternoon off them, I never received any calls and it seemed like they didn't seem to fussed when I was cancelling. I've made other arrangements so won't be returning but still a good offer :-)

We're sorry to hear that you've decided to leave Sky. We don't want to lose you, so we're giving you 50% off terrific Sky TV for 9 months if you come back by 22 May.

1. Better value for money than ever with Sky TV, from just €14 a month

2. All the action, half the price - we'll give you 50% off your favourite sports for the next 9 months

There are even more ways to watch the shows you love with Sky Go

Watch whatever you want, whenever you want, with Ireland's biggest Catch Up TV service.
    3. Sky Go lets you take your TV with you on your laptop, tablet or mobile device

4. You'll get totally Unlimited Sky Broadband free for 9 months

5. To get all this, call our award-winning customer service team before 22 May on 0818 719 815

We hope you agree that all this fantastic TV at 50% off for 9 months is worth coming back for.
    That's an unreal deal. Never get that as a new customer id say though? My dads being with sky for around 20yrs wonder if I mentioned that would they give me a better deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I was a Sky customer for over a decade and I closed my account about 4 years ago.

I still use the system for the fta channels but I'm contemplating going back to sky soon.

Does anyone know how I should approach sky in order to get a good rejoining deal?

They never contacted me to rejoin although I did miss a few calls from them and they did send the odd letter. I never liked their offers as I only want TV without broadband. I have broadband paid for so I only want the TV channels sports pack HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I was a Sky customer for over a decade and I closed my account about 4 years ago.

I still use the system for the fta channels but I'm contemplating going back to sky soon.

Does anyone know how I should approach sky in order to get a good rejoining deal?

They never contacted me to rejoin although I did miss a few calls from them and they did send the odd letter. I never liked their offers as I only want TV without broadband. I have broadband paid for so I only want the TV channels sports pack HD

HD sports pack costs about €80 PM. I have it with multi room for €96 PM.
    I'm bailing out at the end of the summer and going free to air. IMO it's a ridiculous price to pay for TV.

emeldc wrote: »
    HD sports pack costs about €80 PM. I have it with multi room for €96 PM.
    I'm bailing out at the end of the summer and going free to air. IMO it's a ridiculous price to pay for TV.

I wouldn't pay that I'll only be subscribing if they give me reduced price, for years I used to get switched off for the summer and then take up a cheap deal to rejoin in the autumn when they would send me a letter with a reduced price to rejoin.

I wouldn't pay that I'll only be subscribing if they give me reduced price, for years I used to get switched off for the summer and then take up a cheap deal to rejoin in the autumn when they would send me a letter with a reduced price to rejoin.

You might get a cheap deal for 6 months but you'll be under contract for at least 12 months at full price. They're not totally stupid :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

emeldc wrote: »
    You might get a cheap deal for 6 months but you'll be under contract for at least 12 months at full price. They're not totally stupid :rolleyes:

These rejoin offers are contract free...

If I go ahead with the cancellation will I be able to get any channels on my sky hd+ box ? Sorry if this is off topic or been asked already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

emmetkenny wrote: »
    If I go ahead with the cancellation will I be able to get any channels on my sky hd+ box ? Sorry if this is off topic or been asked already.

Yes, all the FTA channels...no Sky+ features will work though

Pacifico wrote: »
    Yes, all the FTA channels...no Sky+ features will work though

Thanks for that. Would you happen to know where I could get a list of these channels ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

wawaman wrote: »

Thank you so much. Do I need a different card or anything to get these to work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Thank you so much. Do I need a different card or anything to get these to work ?

Not as far as i know (but i stand to be corrected)

wawaman wrote: »
    Not as far as i know (but i stand to be corrected)

Thank you. :)

You wont have any of the Irish channels through a basic FTA box or through a Sky box with no subscription. You'll need a combi box (unless you have an aerial connection to a Saorview approved tv or box).
    The Sky box will only have FTA channels through the "Other Channels" section if you have a HD box after you quit sky. However, you can get an FTV card (friends/family or use google) from the UK which will unlock the FTA channels to your EPG

You wont have any of the Irish channels through a basic FTA box or through a Sky box with no subscription. You'll need a combi box (unless you have an aerial connection to a Saorview approved tv or box).
    The Sky box will only have FTA channels through the "Other Channels" section if you have a HD box after you quit sky. However, you can get an FTV card (friends/family or use google) from the UK which will unlock the FTA channels to your EPG

Thanks for that. I'll have a look on done deal and amazon. The price of sky is just ridiculous at the minute, I'm paying 87 a month and need to cut back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

. ...She said that they could give me a 15% discount and a free wifi connector for the back of the box to make the on demand service easier to use....

Is the wi-fi connector not free anyway? We get ours free a few months back by just applying for one on the sky website.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Is the wi-fi connector not free anyway? We get ours free a few months back by just applying for one on the sky website.

I was told that it is normally 29.99 :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I was told that it is normally 29.99 :/

For the on-demand connector? :eek:

This is the link for what we got...
    http://www.sky.com/products/ways-to-watch/catch-up-tv/how/index-roi.html

We got the on-demand connector.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    For the on-demand connector? :eek:

This is the link for what we got...
    http://www.sky.com/products/ways-to-watch/catch-up-tv/how/index-roi.html

We got the on-demand connector.

I used that link but it says I'm not entitled to one. Might be due to my cancellation on my account

Pacifico wrote: »
    These rejoin offers are contract free...

Really? I never heard of that but you could be right.
    But I cant see them supplying any equipment without trying to tie you into some sort of contract.

• Advertisement

I think its contract free if you are sticking with your old equipment.

If you avail of "free" equipment then they have you on a minimum one year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

tallpaul wrote: »
    Rang and cancelled Sports in mid-February and the thirty days ran out in the middle of March. I have heard nothing during the thirty days or since... don't miss it tbh...

Cancelled myself last week,all I used watch was Sky Sports 1 for the matches and Sky Sports News so it wasn't worth the money,I will still have Sky Sports News as its in the variety bundle but thinking about going down the internet streaming route for next season,connect the computer to the TV,job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I think its contract free if you are sticking with your old equipment.

If you avail of "free" equipment then they have you on a minimum one year contract.

I rejoined last September after being away for 18 months.

After 12 months you are classified as a new customer. So even though my existing equipment worked fine, as a new customer I was entitled to a new dish and box. I got 20% off for the first 6 months and tied to a 12 month contract.

(My old dish was 10 years old.)

Thanks for that. I'll have a look on done deal and amazon. The price of sky is just ridiculous at the minute, I'm paying 87 a month and need to cut back

The Manhattan Plaza HDR is probably your best bet for a "Sky-like" replacement as it has a full Freesat 7 day EPG and recording/pause etc.
    There are combi boxes that can combine the Saorview and FTA features with an aerial and satellite connection but none can officially combine Saorview and Freesat (although some of the Walker boxes can do it). See the Satellite forum for more help. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

The Manhattan Plaza HDR is probably your best bet for a "Sky-like" replacement as it has a full Freesat 7 day EPG and recording/pause etc.
    There are combi boxes that can combine the Saorview and FTA features with an aerial and satellite connection but none can officially combine Saorview and Freesat (although some of the Walker boxes can do it). See the Satellite forum for more help. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I'll look it up. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Now there is a first. I cancelled and never got an offer. I think I was a bit cocky on the phone. I suppose to play the waiting game now.

I have never paid more than 50% and even had the 6 months free. I never really thought I wouldnt get offered it. I was a bit cocky on the phone but who knows I surely will get a call back. If not I can sign the father up as a new customer for half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

call from sky last night. 75% off for 9 months no committment. Turned it down as we dont watch much sports and 95% of the time we watch the FTA channels anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SEORG

call from sky last night. 75% off for 9 months no committment. Turned it down as we dont watch much sports and 95% of the time we watch the FTA channels anyway.
    Was the offer 75% off just Sports package or was there something else too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

SEORG wrote: »
    Was the offer 75% off just Sports package or was there something else too?

It was off any pack I wanted. it was about the 7th call we have received since christmas to come back to Sky.

This information is so handy when it comes to fooling them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

That's an unreal deal. Never get that as a new customer id say though? My dads being with sky for around 20yrs wonder if I mentioned that would they give me a better deal

got 12 months 50% off on a 12 month contract. went for the full monty, hd sports movies, €48 per month.

was an existing and under contract phone abd broadband customer and thats why i got the offer. was installed last week, but the P**** installing snipped the cable I had going from our Satellite dish into the kids playroom for the FTV channels... only noticed that night

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭elmicko

stevieob wrote: »
    got 12 months 50% off on a 12 month contract. went for the full monty, hd sports movies, €48 per month.

was an existing and under contract phone abd broadband customer and thats why i got the offer. was installed last week, but the P**** installing snipped the cable I had going from our Satellite dish into the kids playroom for the FTV channels... only noticed that night

I'm asking for a mate that is about to sign up for Sky - he called Sky looking for the 50% off deal - they basically said no - he is a former customer - how can he get this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

elmicko wrote: »
    I'm asking for a mate that is about to sign up for Sky - he called Sky looking for the 50% off deal - they basically said no - he is a former customer - how can he get this?

long story short

they have an outsourced call centre in cork who ring and make offers on their behalf. these guys rang my wife, made the offer, went through different packages etc.

wife said she would discuss with me and decide which we would go for. Call centre were to ring back 10 minutes later..... never happened. - - this crowd is ellusive and impossible to get in touch with. i got a couple of numbers from Sky for them but it doesn't ring.

I got on to Sky, they couldn't offer same deal, so i complained through phone, email and their own forum. finally got someone - -girl in the UK to get us the deal. She rang me, apologised and told me to expect a call from the Dublin office. got it 5 minutes later. she followed up with me as promised 2 days later.

This went on for about 4-5 weeks. I was like a dog with a bone.... but it was Sky who made the offer, not me looking for it, so that why I won through in the end.

I still pay for my broadband phone etc at full whack, but I got that on a half price deal last year for 6 months so cant complain.

For the record, I did at one stage find out the name of the company who they outsource to. Rang them on a number promoted on their own website, but it was out of hours so I emailed them. Only yesterday they replied to my email by way of phone call, so if I wasn't already sorted, I think they would have looked after me.

It wouldn't be my place to give out the name of the outsourced company, so I won't, but I only got it because a guy in Sky let it slip. Maybe that could be your best route......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I got offered half price sports for the summer when I was cancelling,told him il be too busy watching the World Cup on RTE 2 HD and UTV HD,so told him to jog on for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Hey guys what's the best deal for new customers? Probably basic package for now, maybe sports after the summer. Thanks.

Paddy_R wrote: »
    Hey guys what's the best deal for new customers? Probably basic package for now, maybe sports after the summer. Thanks.

Read a little back you should be able to get 50% off for one year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy_R wrote: »
    There's a free box and free standard install / setup when joining. I also see an offer of €50 cashback when you join online but it ends today. I'm not sure though if the cashback offer applies if you are availing of the free box and installation.

Advertisement