Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

got a call today with an offer €10pm for sky sports, €10pm for movies for the next 3 months. Also an offer of HD for €5pm for the next 12 months. No contract required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Signing up as a new customer. Does anyone know when the offer expires? There is no mention of it. It's basically €10 off the basic package. Nothing about how long the offer is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Signing up as a new customer. Does anyone know when the offer expires? There is no mention of it. It's basically €10 off the basic package. Nothing about how long the offer is for.

its for the first month only. They take 10euro out of your account then deduct it from your first monthly bill and you think you are getting a 10 euro discount. Your second bill will be normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

its for the first month only. They take 10euro out of your account then deduct it from your first monthly bill and you think you are getting a 10 euro discount. Your second bill will be normal.

Thanks for that. That changes things ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Thanks for that. That changes things ha!

I thought the same! It's misleading to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

My offer expires on 3rd of next month and as Sky bill a month in advance I received a bill with a €3-something credit instead of the usual €7.20 (I was on the 20% off for 9 months I think.)

I only have Variety but I'm considering Movies depending on the offer, also would like one of those On Demand connectors as the one I had broke! :P

What's the best thing to do? Ring up and say I'm moving to UPC? Should I make up a UPC offer and see what they say?

Advice please? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

I only have Variety but I'm considering Movies depending on the offer, also would like one of those On Demand connectors as the one I had broke

Advice please? :rolleyes:

What happened to your on demand connector? They sent out letters last week that some of them are faulty so it's likely they will replace that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I got a call today from sky....

75% off any package for 9, months, no contract.

took the basic pack for 7euro a month.

also set a reminder to call on the 2nd of Feb and give 31 days notice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I got a call today from sky....

75% off any package for 9, months, no contract.

took the basic pack for 7euro a month.

also set a reminder to call on the 2nd of Feb and give 31 days notice!

when did you cancel ? how long were you without sky ?
    did you refuse a 50% offer first ?

danois wrote: »
    What happened to your on demand connector? They sent out letters last week that some of them are faulty so it's likely they will replace that.

I'm not really sure to be honest.

Just out of the blue it stopped working, the power supply could be broke or something.

No lights turn on, it's just, well dead!

What exactly does that letter say?

Would you be able to send a copy to me?

Would it be worth my while asking for a new one and saying I got the aforementioned letter?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭ALS

got a call from sky yesterday offering 75percent off for 9 months and Hd for an extra fiver , a free on demand connector , a service call to replace a box that is on its way out , works out at 23 a month , no contract

ALS wrote: »
    got a call from sky yesterday offering 75percent off for 9 months and Hd for an extra fiver , a free on demand connector , a service call to replace a box that is on its way out , works out at 23 a month , no contract

That's a great offer!

I missed out on a few calls from Sky over the passed few days, really hope it's with an offer like that.

Just out of the blue it stopped working, the power supply could be broke or something.

Would it be worth my while asking for a new one and saying I got the aforementioned letter?

Thanks!

I didn't keep it sorry. It was something about the plug missing screws. It said to turn off esb before unplugging to check.

TheStig13 wrote: »
    Anyone get any good deals on multi room lately?

I was told that multi room isn't included in any deal offers and if you have a 50% offer that it's only for tv stations not hd or multiroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Thanks!

basically all it says is that the screws on the plug can become loose and might need to tightened.

green123 wrote: »
    when did you cancel ? how long were you without sky ?
    did you refuse a 50% offer first ?

I think it was last Feb 2013 that we cancelled.

No offer, I missed loads of calls in April from them, I called to make sure I didn't owe them money, then heard nothing till yesterday.

Just realised I have no sky card though, so have to order one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

I got an email today offering 50 percent off for 12 months. Will sit tight

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭TheStig13

loopymum wrote: »
    I got an email today offering 50 percent off for 12 months. Will sit tight
    do.. I got offered the same. I refused then a few weeks later they rang offering me 75& off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

got a reconnection offer last week.75% off for 9 months,works out at 18 euro per month.Had missed a few calls from them.Out since middle of january.

I'm going to ring today or possibly tomorrow.

I'm going to say I'm leaving for UPC and see what they say.

Does anyone know of a bogus UPC offer I can say I was given for TV only?

Would the best bet be to cancel now and then wait?

How long will I be without TV?

• Advertisement

Sky rang me a few minutes ago.

Offered me movies for €10 extra or movies with sports for €15 extra and HD for €5 extra, told them I had no interest.

Best bet would be that I ring and say I'm cancelling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

Tried to swing that 75% deal there as a new customer. No dice. Yer man said those offers only come from their call centers for existing or re-connects. Managed to get 10% off by moaning for a while, works out cheaper than my UPC i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

got a reconnection offer last week.75% off for 9 months,works out at 18 euro per month.Had missed a few calls from them.Out since middle of january.

What does that include?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

Everything bar movies

neil.p.b wrote: »
    Tried to swing that 75% deal there as a new customer. No dice. Yer man said those offers only come from their call centers for existing or re-connects. Managed to get 10% off by moaning for a while, works out cheaper than my UPC i suppose.

Could you elaborate a bit more?

What did say? You cancelled and then what? Were you without TV for long?

Did you have to haggle them down much?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd love this offer too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

My broadband with sky is up in about a month? On half price atm, what sort of deals are others getting?

toby2111 wrote: »
    My broadband with sky is up in about a month? On half price atm, what sort of deals are others getting?

Got an offer in the post in the account holders name for free broadband for 12 months, ye have to pay €30 line rental though.

If you're in a non Fibre area then this would be great value I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Could you elaborate a bit more?

What did say? You cancelled and then what? Were you without TV for long?

Did you have to haggle them down much?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd love this offer too!

Read the post!

He's a new customer.

Soarer wrote: »
    Read the post!

He's a new customer.

Oh God!

I read that but it must've completely passed my mind.

Sorry about that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The first time I got an offer, I called and said that a leaflet was forwarded to my new address offering me the offer, got half price for 1 year.

I'm going to ring up in a few days and say UPC made a better offer than Sky.

Might get them to push through the cancellation and then wait and see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I got movies and sports for half price for 6 months. I'll take it as I wanted the sports for the golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

I'm on the family pack €36 per month, i had 20% off so was getting it for about €27, thats now finished.I rang to cancel and was offered 15% said no then offered 20%, they said that was all they could do as they are not supposed to offer the same deal after it finished.Anyone think if I go and cancel i might do better or is 20% a good offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

odckdo wrote: »
    I rang them. I am on Sky World and I think I asked the agent was there any deals going and got offered the 20% for 6 months.

I have a Sky email address I use sometimes. I complained about how existing customers were getting better deals than new. I got an email back telling me all about the new programmes Sky have and that the 20% deal I was offered on the phone was on their computer system and that was the best they could do.

(Maybe mention eVision or UPC and see if they offer something better?)
    meathman0 wrote: »
    I'm on the family pack €36 per month, i had 20% off so was getting it for about €27, thats now finished.I rang to cancel and was offered 15% said no then offered 20%, they said that was all they could do as they are not supposed to offer the same deal after it finished.Anyone think if I go and cancel i might do better or is 20% a good offer?

50% is more or less a certainty for the last few years. Cite lack of money as your reason and cancel it if you have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

That's what I did, pleaded poverty and gave 30 days notice
    A week later I got half price on whatever I wanted

• Advertisement

meathman0 wrote: »

That's the offer I have as well and mine expires this month.

I'm going to ring up in a few days and that's probably what I'll be offered.

I suggest you proceed with the cancellation and then ring a few days before you'll be cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

I have Variety (€36) unlimited bb (20) and sky talk (40) but been getting BB&P for half price with the deal due to end this month. I rang to cancel as I can get eircom unlimited for €30 for 6 months and €45 for another 6 months. rang to cancel and spent 30 min going around in circles, chit chatting etc... he put me on hold 3 times and asked me where I got the offer so he could check as he didn't believe me! finally came back and slated the tv service from eircom (!?! not what I was cancelling?!) and said he could give me 6 months of 50% off line rental bringing BB&P to 45, still took 5 min more before he'd put the actual cancellation through... not holding my breath for a callback and tempted not after the arguing to just cancel the TV full stop too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'm currently on the €35 a month package reduced by 20% to €27. I was given this reduction for 9 months ending in August, I called just now sayin I wish to cancel and was told he couldn't give me anything better until that 9 month period has ended :-(

I can't bring myself to cancel ... just yet .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Just bite the bullet and give them 30 days notice, worst case scenario is you sign up in another name and get new box and remote and whatever deal is out there for new subs
    They always call back with 50% deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

I'm an existing sky customer on the variety package. Interested in the hurling for this evening so rang up and told there is an offer on my account.
    Got sports and movie packages for 3 months for 15 euro.
    Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭TheStig13

Just ring them and tell them you cant afford it and you can get it cheaper off another provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

dedaw wrote: »
    I'm an existing sky customer on the variety package. Interested in the hurling for this evening so rang up and told there is an offer on my account.
    Got sports and movie packages for 3 months for 15 euro.
    Happy days!

Off topic, but what station is the hurling on this evening?

Edit: Found it.:o

My brother has had the €36 package now for the last 5 years or so and wants a bit of a discount.

Is there any particular way to go about this? Is there a particular time he should be calling them at? He is unsure of how to play them. What does he need to say to them?

"UPC gave me a much better offer as I was a previous customer, I just can't afford Sky anymore. Sky don't seem to care about loyalty..." Etc.

Basically guilt tripping them should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I found it is better to ring in the morning. Preferably in the 8.00am to 10.30am slot. You may have a better chance of getting a deal. And if you get an offer thats tempting, you have can mull over it, and ring them back later.

I found it is better to ring in the morning. Preferably in the 8.00am to 10.30am slot. You may have a better chance of getting a deal. And if you get an offer thats tempting, you have can mull over it, and ring them back later.
    I think what I'm gonna do is say the above and then proceed with the cancellation.

Then about a week before I'd be due to get cut off ask about some offers.

Hoping to get 50% off maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

I'm a previous customer. Got offered 25% off any package plus free installation and equipment. Surprised because a few months ago I was offered 75% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Hi Guys, so looking for advice. Our Sky account is my other halfs name, a throwback to when we had our own places, we moved her account over. She called up today to cancel, in the hope of a better deal. I had told her to stay strong and follow through with the cancellation. She ended up being talked into taking the basic package with no HD for 18 a month! Not the result I was hoping for! My question is now do I get her to call back and push the cancellation or as they have offered that deal and it was accepted is that the best we are going to do? Ideally I was hoping for the 50% off with HD at 5 extra. At the moment I would be happy with 18 plus 5 for HD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Callanutd wrote: »
    Hi Guys, so looking for advice. Our Sky account is my other halfs name, a throwback to when we had our own places, we moved her account over. She called up today to cancel, in the hope of a better deal. I had told her to stay strong and follow through with the cancellation. She ended up being talked into taking the basic package with no HD for 18 a month! Not the result I was hoping for! My question is now do I get her to call back and push the cancellation or as they have offered that deal and it was accepted is that the best we are going to do? Ideally I was hoping for the 50% off with HD at 5 extra. At the moment I would be happy with 18 plus 5 for HD

You normally get a cooling off period when signing up to a new deal so get her to ring back this time get her to give permission for you to speak and get back on cancellations

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

She called back and pushed on with the cancellation. Just told them that its too expensive. Now its all just a waiting game I suppose. Dont want to cancel really but will hold steady until the last minute and see where we are then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement