Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jay1988

ALS wrote: »

Adverts | Friends

got a call from sky recently offering 75% off Sky World inc sports & movies for 9 months and Hd for an extra fiver , a free on demand connector , a service call to replace a box that is on its way out , works out at 23 a month inc HD , no contract

If you take out HD with Sky it puts you into a contract on the HD but not the other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

My mum was with sky for 12 years and still used the old Panasonic box. She rang up and asked about a HD box but was told it would cost her 149 so she went ahead gave 30 days notice. That was 8 weeks ago and she still received no offer and her sky is cancelled.
    Does everyone who cancels recieve some sort of offer or is it a bit if hit and miss?
    I'm on a 75% off for 9 months deal after I cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

corsav6 wrote: »
    My mum was with sky for 12 years and still used the old Panasonic box. She rang up and asked about a HD box but was told it would cost her 149 so she went ahead gave 30 days notice. That was 8 weeks ago and she still received no offer and her sky is cancelled.
    Does everyone who cancels recieve some sort of offer or is it a bit if hit and miss?
    I'm on a 75% off for 9 months deal after I cancelled.

Up to 2 years ago, I was a customer for 6 years when I cancelled. Sky offered 25% off for first 6 months. I refused and they then increased their offer to 50% for 6 months. I refused again and cancelled.

For the next 18 months no contact at all from Sky.

I rejoined last September as a new customer.

So maybe it is hit and miss for some people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

odckdo wrote: »
    Up to 2 years ago, I was a customer for 6 years when I cancelled. Sky offered 25% off for first 6 months. I refused and they then increased their offer to 50% for 6 months. I refused again and cancelled.

When you rejoined did you have to take free new equipment and regularly monthly bill?

IrishHomer wrote: »
    When you rejoined did you have to take free new equipment and regularly monthly bill?

After 18 months you are deemed to be a new customer.

I did mention that my original equipment was in working order but I reckon for the agent signing up a new customer looks better. (My dish was over 10 years old so I thought I might aswell get it replaced.) I got 20% off my bill for the first 6 months + a new box + wireless connector for an older box.

(I rang yesterday enquiring about reducing my package, more out of curiosity to see what would happen as I knew even for this I would have to give 30 days. My contract is up in Sept. and they gave me €15 off each bill for the next 3 months. Not much but better than nothing. The agent told me to ring back in Sept. to discuss a further discount. My contract will be up so I am looking for one those big discounts everyone else seems to be getting!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ALS wrote: »

Adverts | Friends

got a call from sky recently offering 75% off Sky World inc sports & movies for 9 months and Hd for an extra fiver , a free on demand connector , a service call to replace a box that is on its way out , works out at 23 a month inc HD , no contract

Do the new boxes have wi-fi inbuilt ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

odckdo wrote: »

I think its a miss for her, she didn't get offered anything at all. To be honest she wasn't bothered about a monthly discount, it was the HD box she wanted and when sky tried to charge her for one that's when she decided to cancel.

corsav6 wrote: »
    I think its a miss for her, she didn't get offered anything at all. To be honest she wasn't bothered about a monthly discount, it was the HD box she wanted and when sky tried to charge her for one that's when she decided to cancel.

I am not sure anyone knows what system Sky use when dealing with customers. Some people are getting great deals/discounts yet others aren't. It seems to depend on the day and which Sky agent you speak to.

I don't understand why Sky would lose a customer for the sake of a new box. It doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Do customers not need to have opted in for their calls/marketing? - i.e. registered on the website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Just logged into my account there having cancelled last month and the offer waiting for me is 50% off Sky TV for 12 months.... parents still got 75% off and a €50 credit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭raddo

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Just logged into my account there having cancelled last month and the offer waiting for me is 50% off Sky TV for 12 months
    Where did you login to check that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

raddo wrote: »
    Where did you login to check that?

Just log into MySky and it was on the very front page. Your mysky is your sky on demand id....

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

fek I just logged into MySky but no offer waiting for me, I haven't been a customer for 12 months or more.

I clicked on offers but just got this message:

Shop > Upgrade > Offers upgrade
    Unable to proceed
    Unfortunately we are unable to show your exclusive offers available online. To continue or for more information, please call 0818 719 852.

Ah-Watch any chance you could send me a PM with the 50% off Sky TV for 12 months offer :)
    might chance calling them and see if they'll apply it to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

rok wrote: »
    Ah-Watch any chance you could send me a PM with the 50% off Sky TV for 12 months offer :)
    might chance calling them and see if they'll apply it to me

Not sure if he can do that. I get the same message as you when log into My Sky a/c. Even so I got what must be my 6th begging letter from them last week with that offer. I have binned it but I do recall seeing a ref. no. that you must quote when you ring them. IMO those ref. nos. are client specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

The 50% off showed up on MY Sky yesterday, just rang up there and the "manager" says the offer has expired :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Do the new boxes have wi-fi inbuilt ?

yes

why is it a nuisance? i think it works great..... mind you their broadband leaves a lot to be desired.
    LFC Murphy wrote: »
    The 50% off showed up on MY Sky yesterday, just rang up there and the "manager" says the offer has expired :rolleyes:

don't leave it at that. if you want it, you will get it. i got a call having never ever been a sky customer, but was on their list as a phone and broadband customer and was offered the 50% 12 month discount for any package i wanted. then they went to ground... i fought a battle and won out... 6 weeks later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Offer showed up for me too. When i rang they could only offer the 50% off for 9 months...not too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

I cancelled my Sky Subscription the full works HD multi room sports / movies etc.. to coincide with my holidays on 6th June, got the 50% for 12 months offer within a couple of days on my account ! Rang when I got back spoke to a lovely girl in Cork she was not authorised to proceed with this offer. Stuck to my guns asked her to ring her manager she phoned me back and said they would honour it but I would have to ring them again in 6 months to trigger the second half of the 12 month deal.

She could not give me anything in writing or a reference number only a verbal confirmation over a note on my account. I was not biting so she came back with the 75% discount and Euro 50.00 credit for 9 months. Month for month that is a saving of Euro 21.25 which totals to a saving of Euro 223.25 (Including Euro 50.00 credit) against the 50% offer and a saving of Euro 592.25 against full price package.

Play hard ball explain your history and if you go to another service provider / freeview system you cannot afford to stay with them they are scared of Eircom evision which could out to be a big threat.

Hope you get sorted.

• Advertisement

They are telling me that because it's a new month that they only can offer the 50% for 9 months........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Now sky are saying the only offer is 20% and in the next few weeks that offer will probably be reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Not particularly.

I got offered 15% in June. I certainly wouldn't call that one of the "best deals".

• Advertisement

Just got 50% for the year....... so happy at that. Was offered 75% for 9 months but for €20 I'm not gonna cry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

Just got 50% for the year....... so happy at that. Was offered 75% for 9 months but for €20 I'm not gonna cry about it

You ring them or did they ring you first?

They ran last week and were to get back to you, however didn't. So upon seeing the deal in MY Sky I rang today. First time, No Way.... 50% for 9 months only....

Second time..... SCORE...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

so we have been in the process of trying to get the best deal from Sky. We ended up cancelling and are playing the waiting game. Just to see what they would offer I rang sky as a new customer. Ended up being offered basic at 25 with HD for 7.50 per month. Told them no, still to expensive. The girl I was dealing with was just finishing so asked me would I mind if she called me back tomorrow with a better offer. So I will see what she offers then. The only offer we got before we cancelled was 18 per month basic with no reduction in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

My 50% off expires next month so rang up to cancel my package. Offered me same package I am on (Sports and Entertainment) for 3 months for €14 extra per month or else 20% off for a year. So I have gone ahead with the cancellation be interesting see do they ring me back and offer me any deal. I actually don't really mind moving to Saorview and keeping the Sky Box for BBC etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭nu_90

I'm on basic sky for €20pm ( €8 discount) for last 3 months after my half price offer finished. Best I could get at the time.

Got call last week offered me sports & movies for €20pm for next 3 months. Took it and added in hd. So now I'm on basic & sports & movies & HD for €47:50 pm.

Told girl I'll take it for 12 months just to stop them calling me & me calling them to cancel evey few months. She said no, told me to call & cancel to get same offer.

This was from cork call centre. Not UK. Iv never rang UK to get deal or received call from UK with deal.

Our cancellation was due to kick in at the end of the week and we hadnt heard anything from Sky.
    Their best offer when we cancelled was 18 for basic sky but no reduction in HD. Chanced our arm last night, rang said we would stay and take their offer of 18 for basic plus half price HD. Didnt even question it, just said thats no problem and applied it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Cancelled last month, and was due to be cut off tomorrow, but they rang me and gave me half price for 6 months with no contract. When I rang up last month they only offered 20% at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Callanutd wrote: »
    Our cancellation was due to kick in at the end of the week and we hadnt heard anything from Sky.
    Their best offer when we cancelled was 18 for basic sky but no reduction in HD. Chanced our arm last night, rang said we would stay and take their offer of 18 for basic plus half price HD. Didnt even question it, just said thats no problem and applied it.

What's the point in paying for HD if you just have basic?

You do know bbc HD is free?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I need to ring up soon.

Gonna say I was offered TV and Movies with HD from UPC for €25.

See how they'll react to that.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    What's the point in paying for HD if you just have basic?

You do know bbc HD is free?

Yes but Sky Atlantic, Sky One, Comedy Central, E4, More 4, Living, Watch, Universal, Fox, MTV, E!, Dave, Film 4 etc are not free in HD.

I took all this into account and I am paying less than the standard basic package price now with HD included.

I'm not allowed to explain my reasons for going to the basic package on this forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Callanutd wrote: »
    Yes but Sky Atlantic, Sky One, Comedy Central, E4, More 4, Living, Watch, Universal, Fox, MTV, E!, Dave, Film 4 etc are not free in HD.

Don't forget the F1 channel, my son wants me to subscribe to HD just for this channel!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

can someone explain what channels you would be left with of you cancel sky and just keep the box? need a bargaining chip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

can someone explain what channels you would be left with of you cancel sky and just keep the box? need a bargaining chip!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

green123 wrote: »

wow that's loads! I would need a sairview box for the Irish ones though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

If you have a modern box like I have, the box is useless
    Try taking out the card, switch off the box for a while and turn it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

wow that's loads! I would need a sairview box for the Irish ones though?

yes, you will need saorview for the irish channels.
    a set top box or a tv capable of picking up saorview and either an indoor or an outdoor aerial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

wow that's loads!

but.... (and I hope I am wrong here) ... the Sky Box (with no Card in it) doesn't get all these. Loads of them say 'Please insert Sky Card etc' .. so in effect they wont come thru that box.

But.... I am happy out with 4 x BBC and 4 x ITV's and loads of Judge Judy on CBS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Masala wrote: »
    but.... (and I hope I am wrong here) ... the Sky Box (with no Card in it) doesn't get all these. Loads of them say 'Please insert Sky Card etc' .. so in effect they wont come thru that box.

But.... I am happy out with 4 x BBC and 4 x ITV's and loads of Judge Judy on CBS
    My box I got last year won't get anything without a subscription
    Old boxes are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

you can buy a combo box, starting at around 60 quid to give you saorview and freeway. More expensive ones such as humax will do almost everything a sky+hd box can including record and pause etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

half price ran out last month. Was offered 20% off and took it.
    Thought about it a bit more over the last few weeks and then decided to cancel as it was too expensive at that. Rang up and said I was leaving, was put through to another guy who then asked if they gave me 50% off for 9 months would I stay....took that and will likely move broadband to Sky in a couple of months when my EirCON contract runs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Is there any way that I could go about getting a new sky box without having to pay extra? We still have an old sky+ box. Might ring up and try and cancel but I am awful at that sort of thing. They never believe me, do I need to just say I am cancelling and then wait until the end of the month and hope they will call?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Raoul wrote: »
    Is there any way that I could go about getting a new sky box without having to pay extra? We still have an old sky+ box. Might ring up and try and cancel but I am awful at that sort of thing. They never believe me, do I need to just say I am cancelling and then wait until the end of the month and hope they will call?

..I know what you mean.

I usually wait til I have a few glasses of wine in me and then ring them. usually on a Sunday night!!

After a few scoops.. I could start a fight in an empty room!! Hasn't failed yet !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Raoul wrote: »
    Might ring up and try and cancel but I am awful at that sort of thing. They never believe me, do I need to just say I am cancelling and then wait until the end of the month and hope they will call?

This.

Say you are cancelling and stick to your guns. Ignore the blather, the faux chummy mateyness, the inquiries as to your favourite soap/football team. Say you want to cancel and keep repeating it. The Sky person will go off, put you on hold, offer you something, put you on hold, come back with a better offer saying that this is the absolute best deal and he/she shouldn't really be doing it but hey, we want to keep you as a customer.

Stay firm and cancel.

What is the worst that can happen? They cut you off and then you ring the next day and they reconnect you and you carry on as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

stooge wrote: »
    half price ran out last month. Was offered 20% off and took it.
    Thought about it a bit more over the last few weeks and then decided to cancel as it was too expensive at that. Rang up and said I was leaving, was put through to another guy who then asked if they gave me 50% off for 9 months would I stay....took that and will likely move broadband to Sky in a couple of months when my EirCON contract runs out.

Why would anyone go to sky broadband. I left after a year of being promised 24mb getting a max of 6 and being told they couldn't fix it as they didn't know the reason for it.
    Moved to Eircom and getting a consistent 50 Mbps

Advertisement