Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭millie12345

Only wrote: »
    SUCCESS!!!!
    Have threatened to cancel with them a couple of times before and ended up with 20% off..... didn't hold and cancel fully to get better discount but today was determined I needed to get more than 20% so.... rang and asked immediately to be put through to cancellations. The girl asked why and I told her it wa too expensive. She put me through to cancellations where another girl did her best to get me to stay offering 20% off - even trying to get me to cut my package (Variety Package + Sports) to reduce cost. Told her no, I really needed to cut costs. She then said she was putting it through and would pass me on to next guy to discuss my final bill. Got on to him and straight away he asked if there was anything he could do to get me to stay. I told him that the girl had offered 20% off but wouldn't be interested in staying for that. So immediately he offered me 50% off for 6 months with no contract for €31.50 instead of the €62 I am paying now ... well happy :D
    It was definitely the Irish call centre too - all Irish people I spoke with.

What time if the day did you ring?

I'm hoping to get multi room at reduced price, what are the chances of that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Ya can be done my multi room is €5 I think
    I pay 50 for everything except movies & multi room
    I told them this was all I could afford otherwise I'm cancelling
    Year nearly up now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Soarer wrote: »
    Bet you still haven't rang! ;)

You're right... I haven't.

I'll do it in a few minutes as my bill is due to be made today :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Cancelled both of my subscriptions with them today. My god they really do try make you stay with them. Took almost half an hour on the phone before they accepted I wanted to cancel.

They kept offering different deals, 3 months free movies/sports, 50% off for 6 months, 3 months free and so on.

They even threw in a years free broadband if I kept both sub's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So how did you get on? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

muffler wrote: »

He's gonna leave it till Monday:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Cancelled around this time last year and have received three or four letters from them offering any package half price for 9 months.

I reckon i'll hang on until September and take it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Cancelled around this time last year and have received three or four letters from them offering any package half price for 9 months.

Is there not a time limit with those begging letters? There was in the ones I got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Only

Soarer wrote: »

That's not 50%! ;)

Oops .... That should have read €31 obviously :D

Can't do multiquote but I phoned at 3pm for the boardsie that asked (can't scroll back either to see who asked)

Is there not a time limit with those begging letters? There was in the ones I got.

Yeah the latest on was valid until the end of August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Signed up today for basic + sports @ €64 per month with first month free + €50 cash back which covers the €49 fee for the Sky Box.

Do you guys who have experience with Sky, think I might be offered the HD at a discounted rate at some stage? I would like it but €15 is a bit much.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Signed up today for basic + sports @ €64 per month with first month free + €50 cash back which covers the €49 fee for the Sky Box.

Do you guys who have experience with Sky, think I might be offered the HD at a discounted rate at some stage? I would like it but €15 is a bit much.

Thanks!

They charged for the box ?
    Wasn't there an offer on for free box and installation ?
    You should have haggled for it considering your signing up to a 12 month contract

They charged for the box ?
    Wasn't there an offer on for free box and installation ?
    You should have haggled for it considering your signing up to a 12 month contract

That offer expired very recently but then the free month + €50 cashback offer came in too so it's not too bad.

That offer expired very recently but then the free month + €50 cashback offer came in too so it's not too bad.

Last time I did a cash back deal with them it was a cheque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Not exactly looking for a better offer myself. But we have Sky Tv and Broadband but the Broadband (advertised 12mb) was consistently around 1mb. Rang up, threatened cancel, was told the 'issue' (totally not throttling, just an issue :pac:) was resolved. DL now around 3mb and Upload <1mb. I'm no scientitian but I dunno if these numbers add up to 12mb :pac:

Anyways. Any of you coy feckers here have any experience with threatening to cancel to receive a service yer already fecking paying for?

Anything to report yet? :)

b0eem.jpg

Does anybody know if you buy Sky Sports 1 seperately (€21) along with the basic package, do you get access to the Sky Sports News channel as well? (I know it comes with the variety pack and/or full sports package).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

soundsham wrote: »
    Ya can be done my multi room is €5 I think
    I pay 50 for everything except movies & multi room
    I told them this was all I could afford otherwise I'm cancelling
    Year nearly up now

Must try this for the folks. They're paying 65 odd quid for sports 1+2 and bare bones.

They want the multi-room.

Any tips :) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭matrixf

neiphin wrote: »
    is this legit ?

doesn't look very legal, streaming service similar to xbmc i would think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭beardo81

Does anybody know if you buy Sky Sports 1 seperately (€21) along with the basic package, do you get access to the Sky Sports News channel as well? (I know it comes with the variety pack and/or full sports package).

I don't have Sports, just variety and I have Sky Sports News, so I would say yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Free SKy sports next Saturday, 16th August.

http://www.sky.com/tv/show/free-sky-sports-saturday?dcmp=emc-MSW33WEB/ENTPL/FreeSkySportsthisSaturday

Son is hounding me to get the F1 channel, typical there's no F1 race on this weekend! :rolleyes:

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Free SKy sports next Saturday, 16th August.

http://www.sky.com/tv/show/free-sky-sports-saturday?dcmp=emc-MSW33WEB/ENTPL/FreeSkySportsthisSaturday

Son is hounding me to get the F1 channel, typical there's no F1 race on this weekend! :rolleyes:
    Cheapest way to get f1 is to add hd to your package
    If you can get it half price to try it outðŸ˜
    All the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Cheapest way to get f1 is to add hd to your package
    If you can get it half price to try it outðŸ˜
    All the better

I know - I was trying to get it at half price but they wouldn't budge on it - they said that because I am on a "Loyalty" price with my package they can't give it to me at a discount and I don't think it's worth €15 per month for it.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I know - I was trying to get it at half price but they wouldn't budge on it - they said that because I am on a "Loyalty" price with my package they can't give it to me at a discount and I don't think it's worth €15 per month for it.

Call their bluff and cancel
    I'm getting hd for a fiver, that's about all it's worth

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Casher

Only wrote: »
    SUCCESS!!!!
    Have threatened to cancel with them a couple of times before and ended up with 20% off..... didn't hold and cancel fully to get better discount but today was determined I needed to get more than 20% so.... rang and asked immediately to be put through to cancellations. The girl asked why and I told her it wa too expensive. She put me through to cancellations where another girl did her best to get me to stay offering 20% off - even trying to get me to cut my package (Variety Package + Sports) to reduce cost. Told her no, I really needed to cut costs. She then said she was putting it through and would pass me on to next guy to discuss my final bill. Got on to him and straight away he asked if there was anything he could do to get me to stay. I told him that the girl had offered 20% off but wouldn't be interested in staying for that. So immediately he offered me 50% off for 6 months with no contract for €31.50 instead of the €62 I am paying now ... well happy :D
    It was definitely the Irish call centre too - all Irish people I spoke with.

I just did the same thing, kept insisting on cancelling, for 10 mins as they tried to talk me out of it. Had to be put through to someone else 'to calculate my final bill' she immediately gave me a 50% discount for 6 months when the first guy in cancellations could only go 20%. I'm on the basic package so took it, doubt I would get any better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

On hold for 18 minutes trying to get onto cancellations. They better off me 50% after this!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

What happened?

What happened?
    Got through after 25 mins. Offered 20% said no. He couldn't cancel as i'm under contract for 34 days so need to ring again 4 days. Paying €111 a month for full pack and one multi after my last offer expired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Got through after 25 mins. Offered 20% said no. He couldn't cancel as i'm under contract for 34 days so need to ring again 4 days. Paying €111 a month for full pack and one multi after my last offer expired.

I was on that exact package, expecting to be cut off on the 25th and ive been promised a call back within 4 hrs of that offering 50% off

Check my posts for the detail

Mech1 wrote: »
    I was on that exact package, expecting to be cut off on the 25th and ive been promised a call back within 4 hrs of that offering 50% off

Check my posts for the detail
    A callback 4 hours before your due to be cut off or after you cancelled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

A callback 4 hours before your due to be cut off or after you cancelled?

within 4 hrs of the cutoff, after the cutoff, I think i will survive.

Super-Rush wrote: »

Got another one today valid until Sept 24th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

interesting. My bill went from €24 to €30 this month without any notice. Going to call them to see wtf is after going on

Tell 'em you got a combo box with freesat and saorview. Box costs €90, monthly bill = €0. Every channel you will ever need and as many multi-rooms as you want! RTE HD, BBC HD etc

If they offer you SKY Sports free, just tell 'em you can stream it for free.

If they offer you SKY Movies free, just tell 'em you can download any movie via torrents 6 months before it's released on SKY!

That's what I did 18 months ago. Was on the phone for around 45 mins trying to cancel, so was a bit píssed off at that stage. They offered me everything, but I still cancelled.

SKY are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think people will pay €64 per month for a basic package with sports. Most of the basic package is already free with a freesat box anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Got a letter offering Movies half price for 6 months. Does anyone know how much Movies is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Trying to charge me 21 Euro a month for Sky Sports 1 only.. unreal, was looking at the "Sky Sports Mobile TV" app 5.99 for Sky Sports 1 and 2..

Lemlin wrote: »
    Got a letter offering Movies half price for 6 months. Does anyone know how much Movies is?

The movie package is €28 per month.

If they offer you SKY Movies free, just tell 'em you can download any movie via torrents 6 months before it's released on SKY!
    That is illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

That is illegal.

Good, so is jaywalking, two men getting married, growing weed in your garden and blasphemy. The law is an ass and should be ignored. :pac:

Telling Sky you want a discount because you can illegally download movies or streaming games is totally the wrong way to go about it. Anyone looking for a discount should just say you can't afford to pay full price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Tell 'em you got a combo box with freesat and saorview. Box costs €90, monthly bill = €0. Every channel you will ever need and as many multi-rooms as you want! RTE HD, BBC HD etc

Probably not best to tell them you're doing stuff illegally. Instead tell them you can watch the sports in the pub for free, and you can buy any movie you want online from America (or wherever) before they're on Sky Movies.
    That is illegal.

I'd wager he already knows that.
    Telling Sky you want a discount because you can illegally download movies or streaming games is totally the wrong way to go about it. Anyone looking for a discount should just say you can't afford to pay full price.

That's the way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

When I rang up to cancel I mentioned that I could stream for free but I'd prefer to have the better service and reliability from sky via sat. The only issue for me was cost and trying to justify an outlay of 1200E a year versus 0E. Got 1/2 price for the year without too much bother and a decent chat about the legality of streams and changing landscape for TV.

I think most customer service reps realise the problem of free streaming websites. They know the price charged for sky is extortiante and they would rather you pay 1/2 rather than nothing. Saying you cant afford it makes them more likely to try and cut channels to achieve a value you "can afford".

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

On variety package €36 a month. Only with Sky a year, rang yest to just generally see what was on offer having watched this thread for a while & knowing my 12 month contract is up.
    Rep told me I could take 1 of 2 offers - variety for €25 or half price sports for 6 months €18. He couldn't do both. After a lot of haggling, mentioning UPC offers, free streaming & so on he offered me a split sports package (sports 1 & 5 which will cover all the football) for €9 extra, €45 a month in total.
    I said I'll think about it. Does anyone have this split sport package, just for football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

trebormurf wrote: »
    On variety package €36 a month. Only with Sky a year, rang yest to just generally see what was on offer having watched this thread for a while & knowing my 12 month contract is up.
    Rep told me I could take 1 of 2 offers - variety for €25 or half price sports for 6 months €18. He couldn't do both. After a lot of haggling, mentioning UPC offers, free streaming & so on he offered me a split sports package (sports 1 & 5 which will cover all the football) for €9 extra, €45 a month in total.
    I said I'll think about it. Does anyone have this split sport package, just for football?

they offered me that as well. I watch a good bit of golf though on SS4 so it was no use to me really. cant think of anything I watch regularly on ss2 and ss3 though

stooge wrote: »
    they offered me that as well. I watch a good bit of golf though on SS4 so it was no use to me really. cant think of anything I watch regularly on ss2 and ss3 though

I'm thinking if getting the SS1 & SS5 package as well. I have no need for the other sports really. However I would like to have the Sky Sports News HQ but that doesn't come with the original tv package does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭hjr

Am I correct in thinking that Sky puts the GAA games on Sky Sports 3? Just in terms of people only signing up to SS1 and SS5...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just off the phone with them. I'm on the Basic + Sports for €64 a month and asked to cancel. They threw offers at me from every direction but nothing too good, so they put me through to a fella to confirm the cancellation. Managed to get everything half price for 6 months after a quick chat! Delighted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

stooge wrote: »
    Same here. Very little interest in sports other than golf, and occasionally tennis, snooker...almost zero interest in football. I don't see why they can't offer a golf channel separately with the price reduced accordingly!

• Advertisement
Advertisement