Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Aodhagan wrote: »
    I'm thinking if getting the SS1 & SS5 package as well. I have no need for the other sports really. However I would like to have the Sky Sports News HQ but that doesn't come with the original tv package does it?

Yeah it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

muffler wrote: »
    That is illegal.
    Telling Sky you want a discount because you can illegally download movies or streaming games is totally the wrong way to go about it. Anyone looking for a discount should just say you can't afford to pay full price.
    Soarer wrote: »
    Probably not best to tell them you're doing stuff illegally. Instead tell them you can watch the sports in the pub for free, and you can buy any movie you want online from America (or wherever) before they're on Sky Movies.

I was on the phone for 45 mins trying to cancel so was totally píssed off at that stage.

Anyway I said I could, as in, it was an option. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

On the phone at the moment, I've selected the "Leave Sky..." option. On hold, wait time "15 minutes". Must be a lot of people trying to cancel!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic, Fred. Anyway, it's done, cancellation has been put through, offers were in the 20% range, wasn't remotely tempted. Apparently though, I'm going to lose my "loyalty bonus" after being a customer for 14 years. It was all I could do not to laugh out loud at that stage of the conversation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Worst time of the year to cancel and hope for a deal. Surely everyone knows this...well probably Christmas is up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Worst time of the year to cancel and hope for a deal. Surely everyone knows this...well probably Christmas is up with it.

Plenty of people getting deals at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Plenty of people getting deals at the moment.

This is Sky's busy period run up to premiership football kick off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

IrishHomer wrote: »
    This is Sky's busy period run up to premiership football kick off

The secret is to tell them you're not interested in football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

I've a Sky Sub for several years now. Variety pack and music with multi-room with the old white non HD boxes.

I'd be interested in getting Sports, mainly for soccer so I'm interested in the SS1+SS5 offer that some have gotten. What number do you guys ring and is it as simple as just telling them you want to cancel as its too expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

Was time to get back on to SKY again. I currently have a full package with HD and 3 multirooms. Full price with all these would be a killer. To be fair this time I found it difficult getting a price I was happy with and for the first time I cancelled and the process had started. I rang two times in between the 30 days and got nowhere. They mentioned multiple offers on an account is no longer allowed and the best offer they could give was 20% off the full package only.

Three days before the cancellation date I rang again, with the premiership starting and the others in the house using the multis I would be lynched if it cancelled so I was almost resigned to losing out. I changed tact this time, normally I mention cost and the fact I can't afford it and as mentioned above they try to reduce what you have rather than the price. As always the best policy is to be nice on the phone and this time I mentioned that I was sitting here on the laptop looking at freeview boxes and that I would much rather sort out a good price here rather than go through the hassle of buying and setting up all these new boxes.

SKY would rather some of your money than none at all. As usual the first person goes through a range of offers, turned them all down and he passed me on to a colleague. Finally he offered the full package with HD and three multirooms for 75 per month. Also threw in a 50 euro voucher that would go off my next bill. The discount would last for 6 months. To me it looks like they have given permission to offer decent discounts in the last week or so. Definitely worth a call at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Have seen a few recent posts talking of losing the "loyalty bonus" and not being able to have "multiple offers" on the account. Its likely you heard this from the cancellation guy who is trying every trick to keep you on board.

These are just tricks used and are all BS. I have been with Sky for best part of 16 years and in that time I have left them for a year to UPC (and couldn't get back quick enough once my UPC contract was up) and for last few years have had offers most of the time, and Thankfully keep holding out and getting them back on. They always tell me too how they can see I have been a customer for 14, 15, 16 years etc.. even though I left for a year.

When you get through to cancellations always stick to your guns, you will always get a new offer at some stage from them. You already have the equipment installed so its easy for them to try get 50% from you rather than get 0% from you.

I got the 6 month 50% off back on the account a few days ago so its in the reminders to cancel in 5 months time and start the clock again.

Keep the faith.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have to agree with paddydriver regarding the offers. A read through some of the posts in this thread also confirms that different offers are given to different subscribers. And it is a load of bull that Sky reps use when saying that 2 offers cant be applied to the same account.

About 5 months ago when I was just about midway through a 50% offer I phoned to cancel the multiroom which I was paying full price for. Previously I had been told on a few occasions (when I asked about getting a discount on the multiroom) "sorry, no offers on multiroom" or "you cant have 2 offers at the same time". When I said I was cancelling the multiroom they suddenly "discovered" that they could give me 50% off it for 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

blastman wrote: »
    On the phone at the moment, I've selected the "Leave Sky..." option. On hold, wait time "15 minutes". Must be a lot of people trying to cancel!!

Called answered after 15.08 minutes yesterday and then spent extra 30 minutes trying to cancel, at this stage I think they getting a cut out of keeping you on the line!!

No wonder it takes 15 minutes to answer a call when they spend another 30 minutes refusing to cancel the bloody thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

Apparently though, I'm going to lose my "loyalty bonus" after being a customer for 14 years.

Did they specify what that was by any chance? I've been with them 12 years and don't recall receiving any bonuses.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Soarer wrote: »
    Aodhagan wrote: »
    I'm thinking if getting the SS1 & SS5 package as well. I have no need for the other sports really. However I would like to have the Sky Sports News HQ but that doesn't come with the original tv package does it?
    Yeah it does.

ss news comes with the variety pack, they call it now, that's €36

the original pack is the one for €28
    hjr wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that Sky puts the GAA games on Sky Sports 3? Just in terms of people only signing up to SS1 and SS5...

yeah i think they do. highlights as well.

peking97 wrote: »
    Did they specify what that was by any chance? I've been with them 12 years and don't recall receiving any bonuses.:confused:

Of course not. I did ask and I was told something along the lines of "all the offers against your account", it was literally as vague as that.

I've actually just checked my account for the crack, and they've put in an offer of 35% off for 12 months. So was it the 14 years of customer loyalty or the threat to leave that provoked this offer, I wonder?

To be honest, I don't really care. I'm quite happy to go through with the cancellation and put the 80-odd quid toward hookers 'n' blow every month instead.

Called answered after 15.08 minutes yesterday and then spent extra 30 minutes trying to cancel, at this stage I think they getting a cut out of keeping you on the line!!

No wonder it takes 15 minutes to answer a call when they spend another 30 minutes refusing to cancel the bloody thing!

My timings were almost identical, how strange.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Of course not. I did ask and I was told something along the lines of "all the offers against your account", it was literally as vague as that.

To be honest, I don't really care. I'm quite happy to go through with the cancellation and put the 80-odd quid toward hookers 'n' blow every month instead.
    must be some skanky hookers and talc for 80 quid lol
    i always push the cancellation never heard of a loyalty bonus, total crap imo all they want is money, no loyalty with any company

must be some skanky hookers and talc for 80 quid lol
    i always push the cancellation never heard of a loyalty bonus, total crap imo all they want is money, no loyalty with any company

It's an EXTRA 80 quid, you know, to add to the existing budget :D

• Advertisement

Had one phone call from Sky this morning already, wasn't in a position to answer, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Thanks guys.
    Just got Variety pack, + split sports + HD for €51.10 for 9 months plus a 10 euro credit for 3 months.
    Just be nice, stick to your guns and say thanks for trying but still too much.
    Eventually he will put you on hold to speak to his manager and offer a better deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

sports half price 6months, no contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

yes, and 5 euro for hd for the 6 months also.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

Just gone back to sky,
    Variety pack & sports 1 & 5 for €28.50 per month!!
    Delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Got a call tonight offering my the movies for €10 a month. I said no thanks but the kids asked me to take up the offer. I never asked the girl how many months the €10 offer was for. Has anyone else got this call and how long is the offer for? I mean the movie months not time to take up the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jay1988

Got a call tonight offering my the movies for €10 a month. I said no thanks but the kids asked me to take up the offer. I never asked the girl how many months the €10 offer was for. Has anyone else got this call and how long is the offer for? I mean the movie months not time to take up the offer.

I got it, it's for 3 months although I'm on my 3rd straight 10 euro movies offer. Also have the ten euro loyalty discount ( it shows on my bills. So for the last 9 months I've had variety and movies for 36 euro and I've never threatened to cancel, wonder if I did could I get more?

I got it, it's for 3 months although I'm on my 3rd straight 10 euro movies offer. Also have the ten euro loyalty discount ( it shows on my bills. So for the last 9 months I've had variety and movies for 36 euro and I've never threatened to cancel, wonder if I did could I get more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Have cancelled and due to be cut off on 18th. Haven't received any calls or letters but see this when I log in online.

Do you think if I ring and just say it says 50% instead of 35% they will apply it. I remember the last time I got a letter and rang up he asked me to quote the letter which was 50% for 6 months but got the impression I could have said 9 or 12 months and he would have done it.

• Advertisement

flynny50 wrote: »
    Just gone back to sky,
    Variety pack & sports 1 & 5 for €28.50 per month!!
    Delighted!

that's a great deal if it includes HD. How did you get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

that's a great deal if it includes HD. How did you get that?

No hd but quit sky & den got half price for 9 months offer.Added the sports yesterday for the footy & got half price included on that too!

flynny50 wrote: »
    No hd but quit sky & den got half price for 9 months offer.Added the sports yesterday for the footy & got half price included on that too!

Ah, right. Couldn't live without HD though!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Had canceled at the end of last month, sky channels were gonna be cut off on the last day of this month.
    Just got a call from sky, the offer was half price for 6 months. (variety and sports)

I asked about getting the same offer but for 9 months, said he couldn't do it.
    Happy enough was worth the phone call to cancel, from paying 72e its now 36e for the same package :).

He also told me the date to ring back to cancel again, to get another offer, 30 days before the end of the 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Gotya wrote: »
    Had canceled at the end of last month, sky channels were gonna be cut off on the last day of this month.
    Just got a call from sky, the offer was half price for 6 months. (variety and sports)

I asked about getting the same offer but for 9 months, said he couldn't do it.
    Happy enough was worth the phone call to cancel, from paying 72e its now 36e for the same package :).

He also told me the date to ring back to cancel again, to get another offer, 30 days before the end of the 6 months.

What telephone number did you ring? (It is probably mentioned ad nauseum in this thread, but couldn't face reading back through so many pages.)
    TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Can anyone tell me if I ring to cancel and I do not get any offers during the month can I ring later in the month, before the date I am due to be cut off, and tell them I have changed my mind and want to say with them? Paying €111 a month, would love to get a discount for a few months but I would be killed at home if Sky is disconnected.

Plascebo wrote: »
    What telephone number did you ring? (It is probably mentioned ad nauseum in this thread, but couldn't face reading back through so many pages.)
    TIA
    The usual Sky number to call is 0818 719819 and just follow the prompts.

gypsylee wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if I ring to cancel and I do not get any offers during the month can I ring later in the month, before the date I am due to be cut off, and tell them I have changed my mind and want to say with them? Paying €111 a month, would love to get a discount for a few months but I would be killed at home if Sky is disconnected.
    Yeah, you can ring and change your mind at any time. Id be very surprised if they dont make you an offer to stay given the amount of money you're paying.

Thanks for that. Will ring later and see how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭keng66

sorry if I'm being a bit dense here, I have just cancelled SKY, only offered 20% discount, hope they come back with a better offer, If they do cut it off in a month's time, are you still able to get all the free to air channels

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Just rang them there as I got a call a few weeks ago from a guy offering me six months half price sports but had heard nothing since as I told him at the time it was an inconvenient time to call but anyways got through straight away told the girl my story that I would be interested in what I was offered a few weeks ago on the phone and would like to take it up and she said it couldn't be done as I was offered that in error and she is unable to apply the offer to my account as I already am on a 20% discount and HD for €1 offer from a few months back.

We had a bit of to and fro-ing about me being mis-led but she said there really isn't anything she could do as the system simply wouldn't allow her give me what they had previously offerred me. I did a tactical retreat and accepted this while I plot my next move!!

I just rang them. Gave them the spiel about not being able to afford it etc. Was offered 15%. I refused that. Eventually was offered 20% for 9 months. Could probably have cancelled and held out for more but I went with the 20% offer. Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

keng66 wrote: »
    sorry if I'm being a bit dense here, I have just cancelled SKY, only offered 20% discount, hope they come back with a better offer, If they do cut it off in a month's time, are you still able to get all the free to air channels

Yeah the box still receives channels like e4 and BBC etc tho you have to find them through other channels. Its a bit awkward but its free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

For those who are afraid to go all the way and let them cut u off when they don't get a call from my experience sky can be reactivated in an hour or two. I had 12 mths half price then asked to cancel cause I wasn't being offered anything to be kept. Rang in the month before switch off twice and nothing. So I let it be turned off. Used free view for a few days then rang up to see if there was any rejoining offers. 1/2 price no contract and credit on the account.
    You have the equipment remember. Can be turned on and off like a light
    You may also realize you don't even need it as I found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Got 20% off basic after 6 months on 50% (3 with Sky Sports). €22 it's alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

I rang earlier to cancel and look to rejoin later. With no great bargaining I got €34 a month off my package (movies, sports, HD and sky go extra) which was €102 per month.

Saving is for 9 months and works out at 33% off and no contract required.

Jesus if that's the kinda deal sky are giving out without contract it's no wonder UPC recontract at any little change you make with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Got my 5th begging letter from Sky yesterday. They offered 50% off any plan for 9 months. I'm gone since last October. So don't despair, all you lads & lassies that are waiting for an offer. You most likely WILL get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

For those who are afraid to go all the way and let them cut u off when they don't get a call from my experience sky can be reactivated in an hour or two. I had 12 mths half price then asked to cancel cause I wasn't being offered anything to be kept. Rang in the month before switch off twice and nothing. So I let it be turned off. Used free view for a few days then rang up to see if there was any rejoining offers. 1/2 price no contract and credit on the account.
    You have the equipment remember. Can be turned on and off like a light
    You may also realize you don't even need it as I found out.

Got this last week too.

50% off Inc had
    No contract
    50 euro put into account.

I was only being offered 50% off a package for 9 months by calling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

My month is up and not a peep from sky. Was on a half price deal for 2 years in total I think. Came home yesterday and sky was gone. Looking forward to sorting out some other TV options. Don't think I will ever return to sky as there is loads of cheaper ways to view what you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement