Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Ronan wrote: »
    Does that include HD? If so great price.

Goes back to my opinion that it is definitely who you end up talking to when you call up.

No but I got HD for 1/2 price so €7.50 for that.

Speaking of HD, surely the day is coming where it won't be an extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

just logged on to my sky online account, and see a 12 month 1/2 price offer.

ill have that thank you very much

funnyname wrote: »
    No but I got HD for 1/2 price so €7.50 for that.

Speaking of HD, surely the day is coming where it won't be an extra.

well, im sorry to say that when people are willing to pay extra for a HD channel, why give it free.

if everyone just cancelled HD for 3 months, we would all enjoy it for free.

I wouldnt give them a euro for it.

my line on HD is, pay extra for HD , but hasnt had an eye test in years. .

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

P_Cash wrote: »
    just logged on to my sky online account, and see a 12 month 1/2 price offer.

ill have that thank you very much

How long ago did you ring them to cancel?

blastman wrote: »
    How long ago did you ring them to cancel?

July this year.

Just signed up there an hr ago,

The flipping hassle, I rang the Ireland number and they only said I have a 9 month offer, I said it says 12 months when I log in to my sky on line account.

To make a long story short, I had to ring the UK number. .

Eventually got my 12 month deal.

Now for bt sports for 1 eur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

well, im sorry to say that when people are willing to pay extra for a HD channel, why give it free.

if everyone just cancelled HD for 3 months, we would all enjoy it for free.

I wouldnt give them a euro for it.

my line on HD is, pay extra for HD , but hasnt had an eye test in years. .

:pac:

It really is a huge con. 15 euro a month to view a channel you already have in slightly more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

July this year.

Just signed up there an hr ago,

The flipping hassle, I rang the Ireland number and they only said I have a 9 month offer, I said it says 12 months when I log in to my sky on line account.

To make a long story short, I had to ring the UK number. .

Eventually got my 12 month deal.

Now for bt sports for 1 eur

Makes sense when why I rang they wouldn't honor it.. Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Was on half price for9 months, subscription went back to 72 this month.
    Rang them this evening to cancel, got offered 20% discount, declined the offer.
    Then got some offer for my sports package where I could only view 1 sports channel per day and if I wanted to view another sports channel , i could ring up next day and they would switch it over.Declined the offer, gave 31 days notice .. and cancelled.

Now like every time I have cancelled for the past few years, I wait for the " come back to sky " telephone call/mailing.
    I can live without sky for months no problem but will come back if they give me a decent price.

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Was on half price for9 months, subscription went back to 72 this month.
    Rang them this evening to cancel, got offered 20% discount, declined the offer.
    Then got some offer for my sports package where I could only view 1 sports channel per day and if I wanted to view another sports channel , i could ring up next day and they would switch it over.Declined the offer, gave 31 days notice .. and cancelled.

Now like every time I have cancelled for the past few years, I wait for the " come back to sky " telephone call/mailing.
    I can live without sky for months no problem but will come back if they give me a decent price.

One sky sports channel, did they tell you that you can only switch between SSP 1 and SSP 2

I keep telling people never accept an offer that you initially didn't want,

They will ring you
    They will send you a postal offer
    They will have an offer sitting on your sky online account, under my_sky

People forget about the last one, and it was where I got my latest 12 month offer

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

People forget about the last one, and it was where I got my latest 12 month offer
    Yeah and I notice that when I sign in I see this: *Win one of ten great prizes including a 40" Samsung Smart 3D TV and Galaxy Tab.*
    Only when I checked the T&C's I notice it's for UK only!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

One sky sports channel, did they tell you that you can only switch between SSP 1 and SSP 2

I keep telling people never accept an offer that you initially didn't want,

They will ring you
    They will send you a postal offer

Thanks for that, I log into my sky this morning and there is an offer... 35% off if I stay with sky.
    Tempting but would prefer 50%:D. Shall i continue to hold out ? I think so.Normally something better turns up from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I called Sky about an hour ago to issue a cancellation request, the best the chap could do was offer me €25 a month rather than my current €35. I declined and he offered no more. If they offered me half price I'd be prepared to take the sports package on top of my current package, so now I guess I play the waiting game.

I had a confirmation email within minutes stating that they'd love to keep me, it's not too late and so on :P

When I log into My Sky the front page states:
    Hi David
    Stay with Sky and get an exclusive 35% off Sky TV for 12 months. To stay with Sky, call 08442 411928.

That works out at €22.75

I'm telling Ya lads, I know of people afraid to cancel in case the TV goes and no half price offer.

cancel, and keep cancelling.

Only ever take a half price deal.

You will be offered a 6 month deal, but more than likely a 9 month deal, but if your lucky like me yesterday, you will get a 12 month deal.

50% off only.

Oh, and if your in to the footy like me, use your nut, cancel mid June or mid July latest, I just cancel after the footy season or a golf major.

Aim to take up a 9 month offer mid Sept. That will see you have all games including champions league final.

Sometimes I even get a deal before the 31 days switch off, meaning I never lost the channels.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gumgum1

Hi all
    I rang earlier today to reconect I got a very unhelpful guy on the phone told me the best he could do was 20 percent off i told him my sky said i could have 50 percent off he said icould only have it for nine months and would have to enter a contract for twelve months paying ful for the last 3 i declined. The other half really wanted sky sports so got me to ring back twenty minutes later and take the offer i got a lovely guy on the phone who gave me nine months half pricewithout a contract
    So i guess it really just come down to who you get on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

My current package of Variety + HD + MUltiroom- €62. After a 35 minute negotiation they offered €46 for the same package. I politely refused and pushed through the cancellation.
    It's 50% off or nothing.........he says chewing on his fingernails.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Guys just to update you.

I rang back quoting this thread and the deals people had got.

e.g: 50% off Sports etc and deals on Variety packs.

They gave me " summer deal" after a call back after speaking with the manager.

Nice girl on the phone.

I got 50% off Sports for 12 Months €18
    Free Variety Pack for 12 Months €0
    HD and Multiroom at full price. €15 x 2 = €30.
    Also SkyGo extra for free so I get 4 devices on it.

So I am now paying €48 per month for the 12 months and that included one Sky+HD Box and one SkyHD box.

That was probably my 5th call to them overall and the discounts just kept coming eventually with persistence.

So you want to f**k things up for everybody else..what kind of a clown are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

corcaigh1 wrote: »

Lol.............

If I worked for sky, and people were ringing me for deals, I would give them nothing.. .

Think about what yyou're doing, by you ringing it shows you want sky TV.

I will be honest some people will never get the hang of it.

People biting nails WTF.

I've no time for this nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

corcaigh1 wrote: »

Yeah quoting this thread doesn't seem to be the wisest thing to do for us collectively :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Cop on. Lots of the guys at Sky read the Bargain Alerts threads.

Talk about drama queens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

If I worked for sky, and people were ringing me for deals, I would give them nothing.. .

Think about what yyou're doing, by you ringing it shows you want sky TV.

I will be honest some people will never get the hang of it.

People biting nails WTF.

I've no time for this nonsense

I'm ringing a sales team, the intent being to switch to a competitor, it's in their interests to keep me as a customer. A smaller margin is better than no margin. I'm guessing you've never actually worked in Sales.

I already have Sky TV? I obviously want it? I just don't think it's worth the price I'm currently paying.

Biting nails - it's an expression to convey my feelings while there's a stand-off. At the moment I'd rather not lose the service but I'm willing to if a compromise can't be reached.

I'm not sure where the "nonsense" comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

he has a point. ringing up is why people are getting offered 20% or even less

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

My sky was finally cut off today after cancellation. I logged on to my sky account and checked the offers. It had been 35% off and today it is 50% off. It's a 12 month contract, not sure I'll be able to waive the contract but I'll try. Anyway I'm happy to go back for half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭blacksasha

Hi Guys, i also cancelled Sky after 14 years, its cancelled over a week now, checked My Sky and it gave me 35% Off. so rang up Sky and the answer they gave was its ''35% off for UK Customers only''. I argued my point that Sky was Sky and that it stated clearly 35% off on my Irish Account. So no Joy for me, but i will not be going back except i get 50% Off.

Just wait. Sky will offer 50% eventually. When they do you have to ring the number that appears on the home page. I phoned sky ireland and they couldn't give me the offer. Then I phoned the uk number which was on my home screen under the offer and I spoke to a fantastic rep who had my sky up and running in 5 minutes with everything half price.

Thanks SONIC2008, will do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

You have to ring up to cancel. When I cancelled they said I could have 20% off. I declined and that was the end of it. A few weeks later I had a 35% off offer when I checked my sky account on their website. I didn't call them because I wasn't happy with that.

Today when my sky turned off I had a 50% offer on my sky account. I took it up. See the thing is if you keep ringing them looking for offers they know you really want sky and will be very slow to offer you a greater discount hoping that you will come back based on how eager you are. If you just wait and check the website the offers will come.

Dudes, go back and read one of my latest posts, it's where the ire folks would not honour my offer, basically they didn't have it on the system,

So I rang the UK, managed to get my offer then no probs.

Don't remember a contract anywhere mentioned. Not that ud give up 50% off

• Advertisement

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    You have to ring up to cancel. When I cancelled they said I could have 20% off. I declined and that was the end of it. A few weeks later I had a 35% off offer when I checked my sky account on their website. I didn't call them because I wasn't happy with that.

Today when my sky turned off I had a 50% offer on my sky account. I took it up. See the thing is if you keep ringing them looking for offers they know you really want sky and will be very slow to offer you a greater discount hoping that you will come back based on how eager you are. If you just wait and check the website the offers will come.

A1 approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭mytime

Did you ring Irish or UK number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Just wait. Sky will offer 50% eventually. When they do you have to ring the number that appears on the home page. I phoned sky ireland and they couldn't give me the offer. Then I phoned the uk number which was on my home screen under the offer and I spoke to a fantastic rep who had my sky up and running in 5 minutes with everything half price.

And what about setting up the direct debit again and stuff? When I rang to cancel, they gave me some crap about it will be so awkward to set up the same account and stuff. I said yeah that is fine.

Hi just checked My Sky Account and 50% Off now, Rang the UK Number but closed since 9pm. Thanks SONIC2008 for the info.

This post has been deleted.

yeah you've to ring to cancel, but that's all you should be doing (or pretending to do) when ringing, cancelling.

the post was about:

none of this 'have you any offers' or whatever

to get the best discount you've to make it seem you're going through with cancellation, even in fact cancelling, not making it look as if you're chancing your arm for a few quid off.

notice the people who get the best deals, offered 50% or more off are primarily the ones who've actually left or made it seem as if they've no interest in staying

Raoul wrote: »
    And what about setting up the direct debit again and stuff? When I rang to cancel, they gave me some crap about it will be so awkward to set up the same account and stuff. I said yeah that is fine.

no problems, they still have your acc no etc. afaicr
    they'd tell you anything to keep you from cancelling, blatant lies

• Advertisement

Hi Guys, Just Rang Sky (UK Number) about the 50% Offer, they told me to ring the Irish Number as they could not find my 50% deal on their UK Computer system. I told her that i had already rang the Irish gang, and they would or could not honour it because it was UK based, So off she went to talk somebody and came back in about 2mins to say yes she would give me 50% off. I was Currently paying €72 for Sky Sports + the Variety pack, so now its €36 + €15 for HD which is €51. I said i would get back to her later. I am happy enough with €36 its the €15 HD that's really bugs me.

Are you sure the half price offer didn't stand for HD? The rep mentioned I could have it at half price. But personally I think it's not worth it, even at half price!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

blacksasha wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Just Rang Sky (UK Number) about the 50% Offer, they told me to ring the Irish Number as they could not find my 50% deal on their UK Computer system. I told her that i had already rang the Irish gang, and they would or could not honour it because it was UK based, So off she went to talk somebody and came back in about 2mins to say yes she would give me 50% off. I was Currently paying €72 for Sky Sports + the Variety pack, so now its €36 + €15 for HD which is €51. I said i would get back to her later. I am happy enough with €36 its the €15 HD that's really bugs me.

I was the exact same. I have a 50% offer and rang and after some explaining I was not in the UK was offered Original Bundle and Sky Sports for €32 + €15 for HD. They couldn't budge on the HD (which makes little sense as when they originally thought I was in the UK I was getting it bundled in their 'Family Pack'). I was offered €50 credit on my account also, but declined.

I refuse to pay €15 for HD, especially when it is an Irish only charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I've already gotten sky down to 51 for HD, Sports and basic channel package via phone

Want more after reading this thread!

Anyone know how long their phones stay open until, usual 9 to 6 job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Trilla wrote: »
    I've already gotten sky down to 51 for HD, Sports and basic channel package via phone

They're definitely open until 9 and if memory serves me right I think it may actually be 11pm.

• Advertisement

Rep told me 8pm this Evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Trilla wrote: »

I'm paying 37.06 for Sky+HD, Sport & Variety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm paying 37.06 for Sky+HD, Sport & Variety
    Strange figure. :confused:

Can you give us a breakdown at how that is calculated on your bill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

muffler wrote: »
    Strange figure. :confused:

Can you give us a breakdown at how that is calculated on your bill?

I was refunded 3.94 so it's actually 41 euro monthly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Just echoing what some previous posters have mentioned, but my experience below.

I was on a 50% off deal for 12 months which expired on 25th September. I called around the 25th August looking to continue this offer. The usual waffle on the phone from the Sky Ireland rep. Eventually got an offer of €20% off or €11 off Variety pack. I declined this offer and gave notice of cancellation.

About ten days later I got an offer on MySky for 35% off for twelve months. I called Sky Ireland and they could not offer me this as it was not on their system. ( was holding out for 50% anyway, but the Irish call centre were brutal).

The day of the termination of service arrived.....only a few hours of Sky left. I logged in to MySky and what was there only an offer of 50% off for 12 months. Called Sky Ireland and they could only give 9 months...Sky Uk gave me 12 months.

The only caveat is that the discount is not applied to HD, so while Sports and Movies are €22.50 half price, it is €37.50 with HD which I don't think is worth it. I wouldn't get these without HD so I will go without for the moment.

The one thing the rep from Sky Uk said was that if I changed my mind at any stage and changed my pack down the line, the discount would be applicable still.

If they offered me HD for 15, not a chance.
    If they offered me it for half price, still no, as I could get btsport on a good deal for a Eur or two more

I assume when people have HD sports, they already have setanta?

As Less footy but in HD seems nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Rang to cancel today, was on 20% off variety and 50% off HD. so 36 a month.

got offered 11 off the variety and a fiver off HD but would have to sign into a 12 month contract, so overall price would be 35 a month.

i had asked about sports and can get that half price but then not get the 11 quid off the variety pack but that does not require a contract renewal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Give your 30 days notice. makes you eligible for further offers. better again if you call them on the day its cut off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

Be careful of your dates..

If you push for a deal that they don't want to make and they accept your request to cancel ensure you calculated your cut off date, i.e. 31 days out, to ensure this does not fall on a weekend as there will be no-one ringing you on a Sat afternoon or Sunday to offer you a deal to return.. and you'll be without service..

Their outbound call center will however ring you first thing on Monday and offer a deal..

Also had all the "My Sky" offers like 35% off for a year before i was cut off and then 50% for a year but all of these are UK offers and very hard to get unless you get a very helpful person on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rang earlier as my 12 months half price is nearly up, 20% off for 9 months & half price HD,no thanks.
    It'll be the cancel & wait game I think.Haven't paid full price for over 3 years and been on half price offers in that time so not prepared to pay more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement