Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Ok, I am not going to complain about sky for a while.

Rang to cancel, we've got 2 very old plus boxes, and they are not exactly doing what's needed any more, and there are alternatives.

Staying put, I reckon that a 2TB HD+ wifi box and a second HD+ Wi Fi box for one off €79, installed, a reduction to €21 per month for the variety pack, and half price HD is a decent deal, as that means I can now also get F1 .

Worth the call I think.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Ok, I am not going to complain about sky for a while.

Rang to cancel, we've got 2 very old plus boxes, and they are not exactly doing what's needed any more, and there are alternatives.

Staying put, I reckon that a 2TB HD+ wifi box and a second HD+ Wi Fi box for one off €79, installed, a reduction to €21 per month for the variety pack, and half price HD is a decent deal, as that means I can now also get F1 .

Worth the call I think.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Was on a half price deal with sky for approx 2 years. Cancelled 6 weeks ago, no service last two weeks and not a single call from sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Have you checked your "MySky" online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Was on a half price deal with sky for approx 2 years. Cancelled 6 weeks ago, no service last two weeks and not a single call from sky.

Ring them and say you got a call from someone in Sky about coming back but got cut off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Hi all,

Today is my cut off date. No calls from Sky and no offers I can see on 'My Sky'.

Just wondering where exactly do the "xx% off" offers appear on the website?
    In Shop > Upgrade > Offers - alongside the 'Add the Sports pack for €34' etc. or somewhere else?

On the My Sky tab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

jprender wrote: »
    I'm on the variety pack costing €36 per month.
    I want to upgrade to sky sports also and the upgrade will be an additional 36, bringing total cost to €72. That's too much for me to justify.

I've just cancelled my subscription a few minutes ago, hoping that I'll be offered the 50% off deal. Playing the waiting game now.

To keep me as a customer, Sky offered the variety pack for €25 per month without having to sign a contract.

Account ended with Sky today, logged into "my sky" and there was the offer of 50% off waiting for me.

Called sky Ireland, and they gave 50% off for 9 months.

Variety, + sports, + movies for €40.50 per month.

I had just the Variety package for €36.00 per month.

Now I have the sports and movies for an additional €4.50 per month !

Result :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

What do ya click after you click My Sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

https://secure.sky.com/mysky-homepage

Nothing. Should just be at the link above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Guys. I am coming out of contract with SKY in the next month or so. I would like to have variety+sports+HD. Whats the best price I should aim for and under what lenght of contract (I am not prepared to pay the listed price or anywhere near it!)? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Rang up to cancel yesterday, got offered 25% off for 9 months.
    Going to proceed with cancellation anyway, see what I can get. I could live without it if it comes to it.
    1 question does the stuff you have saved on your sky box get wiped if you end up cancelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Bif wrote: »
    Guys. I am coming out of contract with SKY in the next month or so. I would like to have variety+sports+HD. Whats the best price I should aim for and under what lenght of contract (I am not prepared to pay the listed price or anywhere near it!)? Thanks.

36 excluding HD.

Add 15 for HD,
    Would you not add BT for the same money, instead of HD, cause you will want BT next season anyway for champ league

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Rang up to cancel yesterday, got offered 25% off for 9 months.
    Going to proceed with cancellation anyway, see what I can get. I could live without it if it comes to it.
    1 question does the stuff you have saved on your sky box get wiped if you end up cancelling?

Not wiped, but is locked until you open a sub again

P_Cash wrote: »
    36 excluding HD.

Add 15 for HD,
    Would you not add BT for the same money, instead of HD, cause you will want BT next season anyway for champ league

Cheers,
    Agree but have BT at the moment @ 9.99. Find the 15 for HD very hard to take.

• Advertisement

Cheers,
    Agree but have BT at the moment @ 9.99. Find the 15 for HD very hard to take.

Seriously wouldn't pay €1

Maybe it's my plasma but the difference between my standard and HD nothing.. Not worth paying extra for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

P_Cash wrote: »
    Seriously wouldn't pay €1

Maybe it's my plasma but the difference between my standard and HD nothing.. Not worth paying extra for

Check your eyes or the tv.Best way is to switch from TV3 to BBC HD or RTE2 HD,then you'll see the difference.

zerks wrote: »
    Check your eyes or the tv.Best way is to switch from TV3 to BBC HD or RTE2 HD,then you'll see the difference.

I'll do that, if you Read about pany plasma and std def. .

I bought it for the very reason.

I'll agree though, most TV s are terrible on std when compared to HD.

My bro in law had a 40 LCD, Blocky as hell on std viewing. Not to be seen on a good plasma.

Jaysus. Not a debate on HD ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

I cancelled everything today aswell.

Reduced down to basic and Multi room and it is still 44 a month. Unbelievable!

Will keep an eye on mysky for offers but I'm not going to hold my breath :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

zerks wrote: »

You're right there is a difference, but I'm with some of the other posters, it's a complete rip off at €15 pm.
    I will have more time on saturday, I'm going to ring and cancel sports, HD and multi room and see how I get on. I'll post back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I cancelled everything today aswell.

Reduced down to basic and Multi room and it is still 44 a month. Unbelievable!

Will keep an eye on mysky for offers but I'm not going to hold my breath :-(

I think you need to cancel everything to get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Okay we currently have Variety + Sports for €68 a month, crazy price. We also have the old box - the non-hd one with no on-demand either.

Going to follow through with cancelling it and see what we get. Q. How would you go about getting an upgrade of the box as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Okay we currently have Variety + Sports for €68 a month, crazy price. We also have the old box - the non-hd one with no on-demand either.

Going to follow through with cancelling it and see what we get. Q. How would you go about getting an upgrade of the box as well?

They rang me today offering the hd box and in built WiFi for in demand for free aa they called it. I assume it would have been a 12 month contract on 15 a month. Told them I had no interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

On variety and sports for €36 for last 2 years ,deal was up next week ,rang to disconnect and rep left me off,gave no offer.Told me he would like to make me aware that if I go through with it that I will never get an offer again.I played hard ball and so did he,so will be disconnected Sept 28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

codie wrote: »
    On variety and sports for €36 for last 2 years ,deal was up next week ,rang to disconnect and rep left me off,gave no offer.Told me he would like to make me aware that if I go through with it that I will never get an offer again.I played hard ball and so did he,so will be disconnected Sept 28

"never get an offer again" I'd say his superiors would be delighted to hear that, talk about sh1tetalk.

That was some offer, free sports in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

They rang me today offering the hd box and in built WiFi for in demand for free aa they called it. I assume it would have been a 12 month contract on 15 a month. Told them I had no interest.
    Eh?

That was some offer, free sports in the end!
    And eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

"never get an offer again" I'd say his superiors would be delighted to hear that, talk about sh1tetalk.

He also asked me how will everyone else feel in the house if you disconnect,kids will have no cartoons .You sport will be gone,you won't be able to record.He thought I would piss myself by saying you'll never again get an offer.He was a proper knob

He also asked me how will everyone else feel in the house if you disconnect,kids will have no cartoons .You sport will be gone,you won't be able to record.He thought I would piss myself by saying you'll never again get an offer.He was a proper knob

Yeah the guy I got was a knob aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

mytime wrote: »
    Did you ring Irish or UK number?

Ring the irish number to cancel. But ring the number on the offer (which will be the uk number) to take up the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

They are not trying to piss you off by saying you will never get an offer again! This is a sales technique, which is complete untrue in what it suggests, but obviously scares many customers into keeping their subscriptions. Not us savy shoppers though!

muffler wrote: »
    Eh?

And eh?

Eh????

One guy was asking about hd boxes so i just mentioned that they were trying to get me to take one today from an unsolicited call.

I was just commeting that the second poster had a great deal last 2 years. 36 for variety and sports, sure variety is that alone if you're not on a deal

Just cancelled the entire thing rather then downgrading.

Very nice chap trying to get me to stay but I am not going to pay €117 per month.

I am not hopeful for an offer. But do you know what? I'm going to try and go through a month or two without the huge bill and see what happens.

Very nice chap trying to get me to stay but I am not going to pay €117 per month.

I am not hopeful for an offer. But do you know what? I'm going to try and go through a month or two without the huge bill and see what happens.

Did he not offer you anything on the phone? Check your mysky page now and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just called to cancel.
    I was paying €45 until end August & I'm paying €66 a month now.
    Variety pack €36
    HD €15
    Multiroom €15

She said why I'm cancelling, I said cheaper offers from Eircom etc. She said I can reduce your pack to €25 a month for 9 months and still paying full price for HD & multiroom = €55

I told her no its ok cancel it & she says whats your budget. I told her to ring me back after I think about it. The main gripe is the HD & multiroom full price.

Just called to cancel.
    I was paying €45 until end August & I'm paying €66 a month now.
    Variety pack €36
    HD €15
    Multiroom €15

She said why I'm cancelling, I said cheaper offers from Eircom etc. She said I can reduce your pack to €25 a month for 9 months and still paying full price for HD & multiroom = €55

I told her no its ok cancel it & she says whats your budget. I told her to ring me back after I think about it. The main gripe is the HD & multiroom full price.

I didn't know so many people have multiroom. .
    Both HD and multiroom seem to be a nice earner for them.

But without those options I probably wouldn't get half price TV

I take it all back, was put on to their last ditch sales guy and he dropped my package price down to €70.50

I am chuffed. I think this is a very fair and reasonable price for what I get. 6 months at this price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Not a tv cancellation query but I've seen Sky broadband mentioned in here recently....

Is there usually a delay of up to a week before Sky get their broadband hooked up? I moved from Eircom last week and was told that 25th August was when my Sky line would be up and running. Told just now on the phone that it's gonna be at least the 2nd Sept as Eircom haven't transferred the line to them. This is despite Eircom telling me yesterday that they transferred everything on 25th Aug.

It's getting frustrating dealing with them at this stage. Does their service improve once all is up and running? Have I just been unlucky in my initial set-up with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Stay with Sky and get an exclusive 35% off Sky TV for 12 months. To stay with Sky, call 08442 411928, or follow the link below to start live chat.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Got a call from the sales team today - 50% off any package and HD for the next 12 months, no contract. So variety pack + HD for €25.50 a month.

ablelocks wrote: »
    Got a call from the sales team today - 50% off any package and HD for the next 12 months, no contract. So variety pack + HD for €25.50 a month.

Had you cancelled?

Had you cancelled?

Yes about a week ago. Best they could do then was 20%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

I cancelled about 2 weeks back and have missed a few calls so decided to try them this afternoon. Told them I was using a Saorview box and was told that Sky, UPC and Eircom have done a study and the boxes will cost more in electricity than a Sky subscription. I am stunned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

kaltz wrote: »
    Told them I was using a Saorview box and was told that Sky, UPC and Eircom have done a study and the boxes will cost more in electricity than a Sky subscription. I am stunned.

heehee - That's brilliant in fairness....

If you miss a call from them (1800806807) call back and I'm assuming their system logs it and you'll get a call back from them within 24hrs. Might be coincidence but that's my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

was paying €127 a month for full package plus internet. plus another 20 on top of that for bt.

Rang up to cancel everything bar internet and bt.

Canceled movies and sports, got the variety for about 20 quid and free broadband for 9 months.

So all in all i went from a bill of €147 with everything to 70 quid for everything bar movies and sky sports.

Happy enought with that.

Although im very hungover today and could have done with lying on the couch and watching the liverpool spurs game!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I was told I wouldn't be able to get RTE on Saorview :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

blastman wrote: »
    I was told I wouldn't be able to get RTE on Saorview :rolleyes:

i'd start making some laws of my own up if they spouted some of their poppycock at me.

how about........ do you know it it an offence under the financial regulators act of 2012 to tell blatant lies to potential customers in order to seal a deal, punishable by fines of up to €10,000 or 6 months in prison!

• Advertisement
Advertisement