Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

donegal. wrote: »
    yes, i know. But the question asked was about how much messing about pressing buttons there is to change from fta sat stations to saorview.
    So as not to muddy the waters I'll forget about the freeview for now and just concentrate on the saorview and Sky. Once you have the Sky remote paired to the tv you press the tv button and then the help button and this brings up a list of the various inputs or sources. Assuming you're changing from Sky to saorview you press the help button repeatedly until you highlight "tv" or "antenna" as the source. Wait a couple of seconds and the tv will then change automatically to the saorview. Simply enter the saorview channel number you require or scroll up and down through the channels using "channel + / - " scroll button.

To change back to Sky press the help button again and repeat until you find the Sky input which is usually HDMI 1. Again wait a couple of seconds and the tv will then pick up the Sky channels. Just remember to press the Sky button at the top of the remote before using again.

So no rocket science involved, no messing, no multiple remotes involved and no complicated or excess pressing of remote required.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten the 50% off deal recently? I currently have the variety extra package with HD and I've given my thirty days notice to cancel

Holding out for the 50% off for nine months but currently only getting offered 15/20% off

Got offered free internet for 9 months (€10) and 10% off my tv. About €4 is all.

Handed in my 30 days. Hoping they'll come back with 25%-50% off for even 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

muffler wrote: »
    So as not to muddy the waters I'll forget about the freeview for now and just concentrate on the saorview and Sky. Once you have the Sky remote paired to the tv you press the tv button and then the help button and this brings up a list of the various inputs or sources. Assuming you're changing from Sky to saorview you press the help button repeatedly until you highlight "tv" or "antenna" as the source. Wait a couple of seconds and the tv will then change automatically to the saorview. Simply enter the saorview channel number you require or scroll up and down through the channels using "channel + / - " scroll button.

To change back to Sky press the help button again and repeat until you find the Sky input which is usually HDMI 1. Again wait a couple of seconds and the tv will then pick up the Sky channels. Just remember to press the Sky button at the top of the remote before using again.

So no rocket science involved, no messing, no multiple remotes involved and no complicated or excess pressing of remote required.

I do that for years but nobody else in the house can get their head around that especially the females in the house. ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I do that for years but nobody else in the house can get their head around that especially the females in the house. ðŸ˜႒
    :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

muffler wrote: »
    :D:D

I was over at a neighbour a while ago, as he lost the reception on his saorview, (scart cable came loose at back, i found out)

Afaik, what he does to change btwn saorview & satellite, is that he presses the off button on $ky, (cough!) i mean sky remote & automatically changes to the saorview on his telly & vice versa.

Although he uses both remotes & that's the way he's used to, as i told him the other way as well by using the help button, but he said to that's too much info :D:P

He's got one of the old sky boxes with the autoview function, i set it up for him as its handy especially for watching last year's Ice Road Truckers on Fri on Ch5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi, I am moving to a new apartment in two weeks that doesn't allow a UPC connection, so I am going to have to cancel and move to sky broadband and tv. Could anyone suggest the best approach to moving to sky for the best deal possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

I popped into Carphone Warehouse today. They do not have any good Sky sign up offers. A few quid off the premium channels but nothing off the variety pack. The 50% off offer is no longer.

Is there anywhere else that a new subscriber to Sky can get a decent discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Kevtherev

JTMan wrote: »
    I popped into Carphone Warehouse today. They do not have any good Sky sign up offers. A few quid off the premium channels but nothing off the variety pack. The 50% off offer is no longer.

I was signing up online today and when I selected the original pack the price dropped to €18 per month and when selecting variety it dropped to €26 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Kevtherev wrote: »
    I was signing up online today and when I selected the original pack the price dropped to €18 per month and when selecting variety it dropped to €26 a month.

No deal here I'm afraid. When you sign up you are paying €10 up front so they are only taking that off your 1st payment when its due. Your subsequent monthly payments will be at the full rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Any advice please.... Have sky sports, sky plus. Think partner is paying around 70 for it. We did the cancellation trick In the past to get it half price. Haven't done so in about a year and a half

I'm now looking for broadband (mobile internet at moment) thinking sky is the best bet but wondering if I have any bargaining power to get it reduced or sky package reduced?

Don't want to get tied into s contract longer than 12 months. Any advice ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Sky are offering 6 months "free" broadband to new customers. In reality, 30 EUR per month for 6 months and then 40 EUR per month thereafter.

http://www.sky.com/ireland/offers/6MFBBU/?DCMP=KNC-ROISearch&stop_mobi=yes

Is Sky Atlantic available on certain packages or all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

JTMan wrote: »

You could always try fatcheese.ie. They might pay out eventually.
    See how much cashback you can earn at Sky Ireland

€120.00 Cashback when you join Sky with the TriplePlay TV, Unlimited Broadband and Talk package as a new customer
    €120.00 Cashback when you join Sky with the TriplePlay TV, Lite Broadband and Talk package as a new customer
    €45.00 Cashback when you join Sky with Standalone Broadband Unlimited plus Talk as a new customer
    €45.00 Cashback when you join Sky with Standalone Broadband Lite plus Talk as a new customer
    €60.00 Cashback when you join Sky TV as a new Sky customer
    €10.00 Cashback for an upgrade to Broadband Unlimited plus Talk
    €5.00 Cashback for an upgrade to Broadband Lite plus Talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Had an issue with my box over the weekend, no signal on either input, box then just went "initializing" and stayed there for good. Tried connections and leaving it, no good. Rang sky, did various troubleshooting including updates and factory reset, no good. Support said an engineer would need to call out, would fix all needs fixing, replace box if needed with a new one. Usually costs 100, only going to cost me 60 as a long time customer.
    Told them no, just cancel it. I'm sure upc will give me a new box.
    Offer me half price HD as well.
    No thanks, cancel it.
    They transfer me to cancellations, I am offered it for 25 and no extension of contract.
    No thanks, cancel it.
    He goes away again and comes back with will cost me 25, but will get 25 credit onto my account and I am free to cancel whenever I want still.
    Went with that, still leaving myself open to cancel though, which i may do at end of month(try the hardball tactics like you guys!).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eoinkennedy

bromley52 wrote: »
    You could always try fatcheese.ie. They might pay out eventually.

I'm waiting nearly 3 years for a pay out from fatcheese, so personally I would avoid like the winter vomiting bug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm waiting nearly 3 years for a pay out from fatcheese, so personally I would avoid like the winter vomiting bug.

Once its gone 6 months, you're never getting it.

It works about 80% of the time and is usually rather delayed, but there's plenty of people on here who've got hundreds off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Gave notice in December of getting rid of Sky Sports after Xmas, lost the channels yesterday and today got a phonecall offering me them back at 50% discount for 12 months with no contract

phill106 wrote: »
    Had an issue with my box over the weekend, no signal on either input, box then just went "initializing" and stayed there for good. Tried connections and leaving it, no good. Rang sky, did various troubleshooting including updates and factory reset, no good. Support said an engineer would need to call out, would fix all needs fixing, replace box if needed with a new one. Usually costs 100, only going to cost me 60 as a long time customer.
    Told them no, just cancel it. I'm sure upc will give me a new box.
    Offer me half price HD as well.
    No thanks, cancel it.
    They transfer me to cancellations, I am offered it for 25 and no extension of contract.
    No thanks, cancel it.
    He goes away again and comes back with will cost me 25, but will get 25 credit onto my account and I am free to cancel whenever I want still.
    Went with that, still leaving myself open to cancel though, which i may do at end of month(try the hardball tactics like you guys!).

I had the same problem, still said 'Initialising' had a look at cables at back, that was the cause, as it must have been something else that pushed against it?
    Gave notice in December of getting rid of Sky Sports after Xmas, lost the channels yesterday and today got a phonecall offering me them back at 50% discount for 12 months with no contract

Hoping for the same thing, in the next few days when i cancel or maybe someone will make my 'dream' a reality ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I was going to ring up this week to cancel the sports but then realised that my 12 months since joining are up next month so would I be better off holding off and threatening to cancel the full subscription then, rather than cancelling the sports now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Got the reminder on the phone that tomorrow is 30 days before contract up so calling today and... probably cancelling.

Time to start the clock ticking...:o

Got the reminder on the phone that tomorrow is 30 days before contract up so calling today and... probably cancelling.

Time to start the clock ticking...:o

Half a feckin hour on the phone with no deals coming thru.. Miserly 15%.

They try every trick on you and also don't have a final cancellations person who tries one last time.

Anyway, cancelled now. Wait and see if anything comes through in next 30 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I rang Sky on Monday to find out what deals they had for a new customer and i wanted to leave UPC. They didn’t have anything i was happy with so told them i’d keep an eye out for deals. Got a call yesterday from the guy i was dealing with who gave me an offer of €55 for 12 months (family and friends discount yada yada) for:

The verity pack
    All HD channels
    Unlimited BB
    And all boxsets
    And all calls free (or some sort of deal, i don’t have a landline)

I was paying €52 for BB and the basic package with UPC so very happy with this deal. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Tilly wrote: »
    I rang Sky on Monday to find out what deals they had for a new customer and i wanted to leave UPC. They didn’t have anything i was happy with so told them i’d keep an eye out for deals. Got a call yesterday from the guy i was dealing with who gave me an offer of €55 for 12 months (family and friends discount yada yada) for:

The verity pack
    All HD channels
    Unlimited BB
    And all boxsets

I was paying €52 for BB and the basic package with UPC so very happy with this deal. :)

Thats a good deal, I was looking at same items and I was only offered 52euro for 6months and then 82 for rest. didn't think they would go that far so may push them harder.

pippip wrote: »
    Thats a good deal, I was looking at same items and I was only offered 52euro for 6months and then 82 for rest. didn't think they would go that far so may push them harder.
    That's the exact deal they gave me the day before. When he rang yesterday to give me the new deal i kept asking "ok what's the catch, my first born?". Seemed waaaaaaay too good to be true but there wasnt a catch.

You could ring up and say your "sister" got that deal and ask them for it? No harm chancing your arm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

The verity pack
    All HD channels
    Unlimited BB
    And all boxsets

That seems like a good deal.
    I'm with UPC but want to leave as I hate the horizon box and in general their TV service. Their broadband is very good though.
    What's sky broadband like?

• Advertisement

iggy wrote: »
    That seems like a good deal.
    I'm with UPC but want to leave as I hate the horizon box and in general their TV service. Their broadband is very good though.
    What's sky broadband like?
    I'm told it's not great tbh. I havent been connected yet. I only use it for facebook and the likes. He said it's good in my area but sure i dont need anything super duper for what i use it for. UPC is meant to be the best for BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

myTV will be going from 7€ pm to €30 in March.
    Will be calling next month to cancel..again.
    Have to say it was nice having it back but I've evision in the house that I start paying for in may.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

The verity pack
    All HD channels
    Unlimited BB
    And all boxsets

How can you get BB with sky without a landline?

jca wrote: »
    How can you get BB with sky without a landline?
    Sorry i meant that i dont use the landline\phone.

Cancelled a week now and no call's coming thru with any offers.. this thread is quiet too so guessing not much happening. Usually would have got a call at this stage. Have to continue going cold turkey I guess, tension will mount in the house if we get cut off and are going FTA.

Anyway, come on Sky.. I have your Win Backs number set on priority on my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

My contract is up. Rang yesterday to if I could get a deal. A no go area. Paying full price now 150 is this months bill. :(.

Can I set up a new account to get an offer if I cancel them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

They've copped onto us

adam88 wrote: »
    They've copped onto us

They seem to have. Brother works in the call center. He said they are clamping down on people that cancel and set up a new account etc. I haven't got a 150 a month , have the boardband and landline with them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

If you have good broadband and an Android box you can get all the TV you need for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

I did the same, got a call a couple of weeks afterwards but couldn't talk at the time. They didn't call back. Channels went last week - haven't got a call yet. Feeling a bit unloved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭antomack

Is there an actual landline number you can ring sky on rather than paying for an 0818 number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

antomack wrote: »
    Is there an actual landline number you can ring sky on rather than paying for an 0818 number.

Use the Free Call link from Goldenpages when calling Sky.
    They call you back and connect the call for free.
    http://skyireland.goldenpages.ie/ms/...-90043614-p-3/

Somebody else posted the link in another thread, I used it myself and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

celt262 wrote: »
    If you have good broadband and an Android box you can get all the TV you need for free.

How does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

How does that work?

Have a look in the Android Devices forum. In particular the thread titled "Recommend an android box that runs XBMC"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

celt262 wrote: »

these are good for watching a specific program / film but the live tv on them isn't great, no good for flicking through the stations looking for something to watch.
    when they work smoothly they're great. But the other50% of the time theres alot of clicking /dead links/ buffering/ cache full or just won't work .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

donegal. wrote: »
    these are good for watching a specific program / film but the live tv on them isn't great, no good for flicking through the stations looking for something to watch.
    when they work smoothly they're great. But the other50% of the time theres alot of clicking /dead links/ buffering/ cache full or just won't work .

Please stay on the original topic from here on, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

cena wrote: »
    My contract is up. Rang yesterday to if I could get a deal. A no go area. Paying full price now 150 is this months bill. :(.

Can I set up a new account to get an offer if I cancel them

thats not how it works.

You dump her cold. You make out you dont want her. she comes running back with the keys to a new Ferrari.

You are supposed to let them call you. Might take a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

jspuds wrote: »
    Use the Free Call link from Goldenpages when calling Sky.
    They call you back and connect the call for free.

Somebody else posted the link in another thread, I used it myself and it works.

Can you repost the link to the callback service pls-the above doesnt work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Can you repost the link to the callback service pls-the above doesnt work

http://skyireland.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms/sky-contact-us-dublin/ms-90043614-p-3/

Click on Free call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I rang yesterday to cancel. I'm paying €32 a month which was half price for Movies & the normal Entertainment Pack.

The best I got offered yesterday was €42 for same so I'm not even sure what percentage discount that is. The agent on the phone didn't seem very sure of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Lemlin wrote: »
    I rang yesterday to cancel. I'm paying €32 a month which was half price for Movies & the normal Entertainment Pack.

The best I got offered yesterday was €42 for same so I'm not even sure what percentage discount that is. The agent on the phone didn't seem very sure of himself.

34.375%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

34.375%

If they don't ring back with an offer, I'll probably just ring back and take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Called today, got a sound lad, ordered a HD Wifi box @ €7.50pm extra, he's coming back to me tomorrow with a 50% off offer on my package (basic + extra room box + sports + movies) should work out at approx €51.50pm.

Now, to see if he keeps his word :pac:

connundrum wrote: »
    Called today, got a sound lad, ordered a HD Wifi box @ €7.50pm extra, he's coming back to me tomorrow with a 50% off offer on my package (basic + extra room box + sports + movies) should work out at approx €51.50pm.

Arent them boxes standard these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

connundrum wrote: »

How long is that deal for?? 6 months??

Advertisement