Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

connundrum wrote: »
    Called today, got a sound lad, ordered a HD Wifi box @ €7.50pm extra,

Now, to see if he keeps his word :pac:

€7.50..... per month???? You might be conned here lad!! If its the On-Demand Box - I got it free from them!.

OR.. are you talking about getting the HD service (which included a HD box upgrade) at €7.50 instead of monthly €15...well then you done good lad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Even €7.50 for HD is a rip off IMO. I'll never pay for it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

emeldc wrote: »
    Even €7.50 for HD is a rip off IMO. I'll never pay for it again.

Ah no, I actually hate watching a channel that's not hd. The difference is massive, especially the sound. The sooner sd is gone the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Sorry, to clarify.

€7.50pm for HD service, HD Wifi box is included. I'm sure this box is standard for new customers, but I'm an existing customer.

I've a 5 year old Sky + box and it needs replacing anyway, they were looking for a few hundred quid for the box on its own. Thought about buying a second hand box, but feck it.

50% is for 12 months.

No interest in HD tbh, am interested in the new box for box sets etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

connundrum wrote: »
    Sorry, to clarify.

€7.50pm for HD service, HD Wifi box is included. I'm sure this box is standard for new customers, but I'm an existing customer.

I've a 5 year old Sky + box and it needs replacing anyway, they were looking for a few hundred quid for the box on its own. Thought about buying a second hand box, but feck it.

50% is for 12 months.

No interest in HD tbh, am interested in the new box for box sets etc.
    I had half price sky for a year. Super value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

cena wrote: »
    I had half price sky for a year. Super value

I've canceled about 10 days ago, I'd take hand and all for 50% off for 12 months!.. I'd like 50% off for nine months even.

By the way since I cancelled, I've had zero offers. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I have never been a Sky customer but am thinking of cancelling my UPC TV and going to sky just for TV.
    What's the best way of going about it as a new customer.
    Was there a deal that carphonewarehouse were doing or is that finished?
    I will want hd but no sports and movies.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

iggy wrote: »
    I have never been a Sky customer but am thinking of cancelling my UPC TV and going to sky just for TV.
    What's the best way of going about it as a new customer.
    Was there a deal that carphonewarehouse were doing or is that finished?
    I will want hd but no sports and movies.
    Cheers

€29.00 + €15.00 (rip-off additional) for HD. Thats for the basic plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CorkyLFC

Been plagued with calls since Saturday by Sky.

Answered today and was offered Sports package for €18 per month. (apparently its 50% off and can opt out whenever I want) .Said to her id consider it and she will call back again

Good offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

CorkyLFC wrote: »

Answered today and was offered Sports package for €18 per month. (apparently its 50% off and can opt out whenever I want) .Said to her id consider it and she will call back again

Good offer?

I cancelled in December and that's the call I've been waiting for (hasn't happened yet!). That's a good deal, especially if there's no minimum duration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just wondering if anyone can tell if the new (year or so old) Sky Wi-Fi HD boxes can pick up FTA/FTV/Freesat stations?

the old boxes you could just take the card out, and 101 became BBC1 and you got everything that is available Free in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I signed up last night, got the introduce a friend offer (€125) and €34 pm for the variety bundle for 12 months.

Good deal for a new customer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Good offer?

Good offer. But ask for how long its for? Indefinite or 1 year?:D

Accept nothing less than a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CorkyLFC

Good offer. But ask for how long its for? Indefinite or 1 year?:D

Accept nothing less than a year.

Well my 12 month contract is up in April so I say this offer is to keep me in it. I'm on the Basic Package (€28 p/mth) so with the Sports Package it would bring it up to €46. She said this offer might not be available in a few days but she could sense I wasn't pushed neither way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well my 12 month contract is up in April so I say this offer is to keep me in it. I'm on the Basic Package (€28 p/mth) so with the Sports Package it would bring it up to €46. She said this offer might not be available in a few days but she could sense I wasn't pushed neither way.
    Nah, half price sports only isnt much of an offer tbh. You need to get the basic entertainment pack at half price also.

Basic pack = €29
    Sports = €36
    Total full price = €65
    With 50% off = €32.50

Thats what you should be aiming for. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

muffler wrote: »
    Nah, half price sports only isnt much of an offer tbh. You need to get the basic entertainment pack at half price also.

Basic pack = €29
    Sports = €36
    Total full price = €65
    With 50% off = €32.50

Thats what you should be aiming for. :)

plus HD... not the same in SD, you want HD!

we went for the movies also, for the sale of about €4 per month, we watch a couple here and there it is worth it... but as you say, only at half price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Deedsie wrote: »
    I signed up last night, got the introduce a friend offer (€125) and €34 pm for the variety bundle for 12 months.

Good deal for a new customer?

The variety bundle is €38 a month so you are only getting €4 off, awful deal tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

I am an existing customer
    got a call last night
    they offered me new HD box and install free and HD half price for a year
    I took it

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Hubbie rang to cancel basic package today, we were paying €28 per month, offered €11 per month no contract!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Rang today. I've never been a Sky customer. I want variety pack TV with hd.
    They said €41 a month. I said no.
    Was hoping for a half price deal as a new customer but I won't be moving to sky at that price.
    Do u think they'll come back with a better deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Hubbie rang to cancel basic package today, we were paying €28 per month, offered €11 per month no contract!

Well done, that's 60% off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

The variety bundle is €38 a month so you are only getting €4 off, awful deal tbh.

Yes but also €125 cash? So that's 3.5 months of the 12 months paid off up front and then €34 per month for the remaining ~8 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭redmissb

Any way to get a sky box upgrade? I rang to see if I got the hd pack would they give a new box and they said they no because the box I had was already a hd box. It's on its last legs though so I'd love to get my hands on one of the wifi ready boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

redmissb wrote: »
    Any way to get a sky box upgrade? I rang to see if I got the hd pack would they give a new box and they said they no because the box I had was already a hd box. It's on its last legs though so I'd love to get my hands on one of the wifi ready boxes.

give notice to end your sub with sky, sign up in another name as a new customer, new box dish and remote, and avail of any deal they or carphone warehouse are offering
    i do this every couple of years, the equipment only lasts so long

give notice to end your sub with sky, sign up in another name as a new customer, new box dish and remote, and avail of any deal they or carphone warehouse are offering
    i do this every couple of years, the equipment only lasts so long

I thought of that but won't they see with the landline phone no I'm already a customer? Also have my phone/broadband with them, I'm guessing that might complicate things?

I thought of that but won't they see with the landline phone no I'm already a customer? Also have my phone/broadband with them, I'm guessing that might complicate things?

oh i didnt realise you had phone and broadband with them, is it any good ? i heard bad things about sky broadband so i went with vodafone, no limit and great speed with phone for 45, i never give sky my land line number.
    I am sure someone on here will tell you the best way forward.

I find it great tbh, unlimited too and never had any problems with it. Think it's around €50 with phone so will be shopping around for a better deal once contract is up!

I find it great tbh, unlimited too and never had any problems with it. Think it's around €50 with phone so will be shopping around for a better deal once contract is up!
    i was told they are blocking torrent sites, and so far vodafone haven't bothered thats why i went with vodafone, and to keep sky separate for haggling my bill down every year, it is tedious but the full price is crazy

Definitely not blocking torrent sites for me anyway. Agree it's better to keep them separate when it comes to haggling, sorry I ever gave sky my landline now too. Undecided about taking the €7.50 hd package if they won't give me a new box. I think you need to have hd to access sky box sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

don't forget to look for discounts of your phone from sky, like how tv discounts are discussed here.
    I have €10pm off broadband and 1/2 price line rental at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Called 'Cancellations' today for the first time in 8 years. You're actually put through to a team called 'Retentions' and I'm guessing they're well trained in the art of haggling and playing the game. The fella I was dealing with certainly was... I'd say he sold used cars in Essex prior to joining Sky.

Ended up with about a 30% reduction for 9 months. I felt like I lost but I'm one of those people who can't be arsed haggling till the sun goes down and I lose interest in the conversation and in and outs of all the offers being put in front of me.

I'm positive that if you play a hard game with them you'll get a better deal. Will be calling them again in 9 months time for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dj_louth

I have the following
    Sky talk
    Sky talktime
    Multi screen
    Broadband
    All packages sports etc

I pay €136. 50 per month. Anyone getting cheaper?

dj_louth wrote: »
    I have the following
    Sky talk
    Sky talktime
    Multi screen
    Broadband
    All packages sports etc

I pay €136. 50 per month. Anyone getting cheaper?
    I have the unlimited broadband, talk anytime, basic Sky entertainment pack, sports and & multiroom for €77.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dj_louth

How you get it that cheap?

dj_louth wrote: »
    How you get it that cheap?
    I had to cancel the tv pack and they give it to me for half price when I phoned them again after I was cut off.

When the previous offer was up on the broadband and phone I just rang in and asked how much they would give it to me for if I stayed so they give me the broadband free (worth €10)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭huddlejonny

I have a 50% discount at the moment for just the Variety Package & 1 Sports channel @ €31.50.

I was thinking of upgrading to the following:

-Unlimited broadband
    -Variety pack
    -Sports
    -Multiscreen ( 1 room )

Any opinions on a decent price for the above?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Kevtherev

Cancelled before Christmas, just called up and got 50% off for the next 9 months, no contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Kevtherev wrote: »
    Cancelled before Christmas, just called up and got 50% off for the next 9 months, no contract.

so did the service stop for a few days or did you ring them while you still had the channels. I cancelled today. Best he was offering was about 18% off top package.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

speedfreak wrote: »
    so did the service stop for a few days or did you ring them while you still had the channels. I cancelled today. Best he was offering was about 18% off top package.

I'd love to know this, too

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Kevtherev

speedfreak wrote: »

I was without sky for about 6 weeks, when I cancelled I didn't have to give any notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 millies23

I know its on this post somewhere but can't find it. Where can I find the free phone number for sky?

millies23 wrote: »
    I know its on this post somewhere but can't find it. Where can I find the free phone number for sky?
    Here - they call you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Kevtherev wrote: »
    I was without sky for about 6 weeks, when I cancelled I didn't have to give any notice.

You have to give 30 days notice minimum, hence why many of us put the cancellation through and then tough it out for the 30 days waiting for the call.

Good to know some offers going if you go looking for them. We'll be cut off in about 10 days and the wife & kids ain't gonna be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I only got them down from €169 -> €133, which is still a bit dear, but i assume you have a cooling off period, as there's only a contract with the HD only afaik.

20% TV - 10mths
    inc Sports+Movies or €9 cheaper w/out Movies.
    MR - 1/2 price - 9mths
    HD - €10 -12 mths - 24mths afaik (i got MR that price as told them HD was that price anyway, cheeky beggars:P)

Inc Unlimited BB (no e-fibre eek.png)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

I got them down from €96 to €53 with extra entertainment, sports, multi room and hd for 6 months, no contract extension.

Their first offer was less than 20% off with a 12 month contract extension !!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭huddlejonny

I had a 50% discount on Variety & Sports 1 only which ends this month. Rang recently to renegotiate and all I could get was 35% off same. Also managed to get Multiroom with the plus HD box & installation for €7.50 a month for 9 months from cancellation dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Phoned Sky a month ago and gave my months notice. Got turned off yesterday and still no phone call to tempt me back. I hope they call soon. I miss it already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Phoned Sky a month ago and gave my months notice. Got turned off yesterday and still no phone call to tempt me back. I hope they call soon. I miss it already

If You ring them and talk to the coming back department they generally do very good deals.

I rang the day it went off the last time and got hd 1/2 price for 12 months. Half price for 9 months on the entertainment pack but could of had movies and sports half price as well for the 9 months.

They wouldn't give me 1/2 price multi room though so left that cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 1 luckbarr

Do Sky do any offers for pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

F34 wrote: »
    If You ring them and talk to the coming back department they generally do very good deals.

I rang the day it went off the last time and got hd 1/2 price for 12 months. Half price for 9 months on the entertainment pack but could of had movies and sports half price as well for the 9 months.

They wouldn't give me 1/2 price multi room though so left that cancel

How long ago did you get that offer? Nobody seems to have got half price for a while?

• Advertisement
Advertisement