Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

At the start of last month. Just to be clear I got this by going for the coming back to sky option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭ALS

I was on a 75% off deal for the past 8 months , I was paying 55 a month for 3 hd boxes with all channels , movies / sports etc , I rang today as it is coming to an end and I was offered 12 months at 69 euro for the same package , , which is half price far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

What number did you ring and was it the Irish or the Scottish guys you dealt with? Generally have had better luck with the Scots but all seems to be pushed through Ireland now.

We are dead in about 3 days. Wife and Kids are getting stressed.. Me, not to bothered as I know the good folk on Bargain Alerts won't see me wrong.

Might wait for the "Coming Back" offers;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Sky posts 16% increase in customer numbers, amazing what a load of half price deals will do for the reporting figures!

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/sky-boost-on-strong-pay-tv-demand-in-uk-germany-and-ireland-30963087.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Due to be cut off tomorrow and I don't really care to be honest. Only thing I'll miss is the recording function.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

on hold to them now, paid 75 today for basic package + movies and hd. best they would do is hd for 10 and 4euro of my overall package

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

When I cancelled the sports a few weeks ago I got offered 10 euro off for 3 months or 8 euro off for 12 months,I still went ahead and cancelled.

Got myself an Android box installed with a yearly payment of €80,so far so good with it.

there now offering me multiroom in replacement for the hd channels and 15% off my bill its still going to be 63.75. think il just cancel and get one of those boxes too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Rang sky this morning as a new customer.
    For variety pack TV and HD he quoted me €38.50 a month for 12 months.
    Is that a good price?

• Advertisement

best they will give me is 20% off for 10 months but its a new contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Just rang there, my auld is out of contract. I asked yet man if there's a better deal he could do (he has all the channels non-hd for €75 a month.

Said there's nothing he can do unless my auld lad wants to get rid of certain channels.

Could I not just leave and come back as a new customer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

When I cancelled the sports a few weeks ago I got offered 10 euro off for 3 months or 8 euro off for 12 months,I still went ahead and cancelled.

Got myself an Android box installed with a yearly payment of €80,so far so good with it.

Why the yearly payment of €80? I have one I set it up myself with no payment and every channel I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

zerks wrote: »
    Why the yearly payment of €80? I have one I set it up myself with no payment and every channel I need.

what box are ye talking about? any links or info would be appreciated.

I'm on a half price option for the next 9 months but was thinking of cancelling after the 6 nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ablelocks wrote: »
    was thinking of cancelling after the 6 nations.
    You dont need Sky for the 6 nations matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Sky posts 16% increase in customer numbers, amazing what a load of half price deals will do for the reporting figures!

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/sky-boost-on-strong-pay-tv-demand-in-uk-germany-and-ireland-30963087.html

a 16% increase in operating profits not customer numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭ALS

What number did you ring and was it the Irish or the Scottish guys you dealt with? Generally have had better luck with the Scots but all seems to be pushed through Ireland now.

We are dead in about 3 days. Wife and Kids are getting stressed.. Me, not to bothered as I know the good folk on Bargain Alerts won't see me wrong.

Might wait for the "Coming Back" offers;)
    Rang the Regular number 0818719819 spike to an irish rep and he offered me the deal straight away

muffler wrote: »
    You dont need Sky for the 6 nations matches.

you do if you need option to set, record, pause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

zerks wrote: »

Something about having to reload the channels on to the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I see what you did there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

iggy wrote: »
    Rang sky this morning as a new customer.
    For variety pack TV and HD he quoted me €38.50 a month for 12 months.
    Is that a good price?

They're giving you the HD for free by the looks of things. I will never pay for HD again. It's a complete rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

emeldc wrote: »
    They're giving you the HD for free by the looks of things. I will never pay for HD again. It's a complete rip off.
    Yea doesn't seem like a good new customer offer.
    I will tell him I won't be taking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

emeldc wrote: »
    Rip off considering it should be standard by now but no point having a decent tv and watching SD. Looks horrible after your used to HD

Rip off considering it should be standard by now but no point having a decent tv and watching SD. Looks horrible after your used to HD

HD isn't just about picture quality either - the sound quality is far superior too.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

does anyone reckon they'll be doing the groupon deal again anytime soon offering 50% off for 12mths

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ipad

Signed up as new customer yesterday.

Got 1 HD+ box and 1 HD box.

Included is Variety Bundle with Sports + Movies packages.

Gave me 3D channels free too.

All for a total price of €64 per month after some bargaining.

Do you reckon this is a good deal? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Spoke to a sky 'agent' in a shopping center yesterday and asked was the fiber available at my home address yet as I currently have them for TV.

Available at a slower speed than UPC, but would cost me more than what I'm currently paying, but it would be all on one bill rather than two, so as he said; worth it for that alone :confused:

They could match my UPC costs of €30* for 6 months but it would go up to €50 after that. Asked him why I would not get the free for the first 6 months offer only to be told that I wasn't a new customer. Told him that surely as a subscriber with sky sports I should be looked after.

*paying €28 thanks to boards

This attitude along with the fact that I will be losing the box sets as I won't be paying extra for HD channels mean I shall be jumping ship. Will switch to the 240mb UPC package and get myself a 'TV box' thingie I keep hearing about.

Paying €80 a month for phone and BB with UPC along with sky variety+sports+free HD. Would go up to €115+ with sky for everything, realised that with these costs and the availability of 'online' TV and with the speeds offered by UPC that paying for TV seems a mugs game.

Sky are digging in on deals it seems. We got cut off over the weekend and after spending an age on the phone with them Friday they weren't budging. Just kept telling me how much I saved over the last few years on deals. Wanted me to reduce my package but said it was the full package at a reduced price or nothing, I explained that if I agreed to cut my package and stay with them then that would kill my chance of getting a deal on the full package.

I am going to continue calling them every so often to try get some sort of deal or maybe I will get a call from them trying to get me back. Have had Sky about as far back as I can remember and other than a 6 month break around 2009 I have been with them ever since.

Here we go.. Its cold turkey time.

Sky are digging in on deals it seems. We got cut off over the weekend and after spending an age on the phone with them Friday they weren't budging. Just kept telling me how much I saved over the last few years on deals. Wanted me to reduce my package but said it was the full package at a reduced price or nothing, I explained that if I agreed to cut my package and stay with them then that would kill my chance of getting a deal on the full package.

I am going to continue calling them every so often to try get some sort of deal or maybe I will get a call from them trying to get me back. Have had Sky about as far back as I can remember and other than a 6 month break around 2009 I have been with them ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

I had sky for 11 years on the complete package paying full price over the years. Cancelled it last December with switch off in Jan. They didn't offer me anything or were not willing to offer me anything. Was tough for the first month or so but after that with my new FTA HD PVR box,Netflix,Chromecast and apps,I have never looked back. Saved myself over 1100 in this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I had sky for 11 years on the complete package paying full price over the years. Cancelled it last December with switch off in Jan. They didn't offer me anything or were not willing to offer me anything. Was tough for the first month or so but after that with my new FTA HD PVR box,Netflix,Chromecast and apps,I have never looked back. Saved myself over 1100 in this year

Same here ditched the SKY/UPC and have not looked back, got a Combo box in Powercity and Now have Saorview and Freeview box ,also have a Roku box and have Netflix and the Now TV app loaded when I need my Sport fix :D

So Its one less bill coming in the Door !! And loads of Free TV!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Same as that no budge no offers due to be cut off on 5th Feb but still had it until halfway through the Irish / Italian six nations match.

Not missing them yet got freesat, saorview and have figured out how to stream will not miss paying out €72 a month should have done it years ago.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Passed carphone warehouse today and a sign by the for said "sky TV from €14.50 per month"

Thanks all for replies. For me I am happy to use the varying free services such Netflix, Saorview and all sorts of downloaded series and movies.. but the problem is that I have 3 kids under 10, and a wife to keep happy. Kids just want to bring up the menu and start flicking, as does the wife.

I have a UPC Horizon box with the most basic of packages that I get for more or less nothing on a concession with them and I was surprised how quick the kids adopted that today so not sure they'll miss a beat:D

Will wait and see what happens with Sky.

BTW.. should explain re the concession thing, my Dad has UPC end of terrace cabling on a house he owns and they are giving him 5 years of basic TV for that. He has Sky himself so I took the concession when Sky was coming to an end.

On that note... (I may get on trouble here) but was thinking of signing my Dad up to Sky Multi Room and taking the 2nd card and putting it in my box. They don't seem to look for phone lines anymore and he doesn't have his box connected to a router so in theory they'd never know. Any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Passed carphone warehouse today and a sign by the for said "sky TV from €14.50 per month"

is this an old poster that's still up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Thanks all for replies. For me I am happy to use the varying free services such Netflix, Saorview and all sorts of downloaded series and movies.. but the problem is that I have 3 kids under 10, and a wife to keep happy. Kids just want to bring up the menu and start flicking, as does the wife.

I have a UPC Horizon box with the most basic of packages that I get for more or less nothing on a concession with them and I was surprised how quick the kids adopted that today so not sure they'll miss a beat:D

Will wait and see what happens with Sky.

BTW.. should explain re the concession thing, my Dad has UPC end of terrace cabling on a house he owns and they are giving him 5 years of basic TV for that. He has Sky himself so I took the concession when Sky was coming to an end.

On that note... (I may get on trouble here) but was thinking of signing my Dad up to Sky Multi Room and taking the 2nd card and putting it in my box. They don't seem to look for phone lines anymore and he doesn't have his box connected to a router so in theory they'd never know. Any thoughts on this?

I don't think that will work as the card is paired to the box now. I have a sky+ UK card that asks to be paired to the box when I use it. I just ignore the message but in saying that I can only receive the fta UK channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I cancelled on 18th January. Only offer was 35% off as opposed to the 50% I had. I rang them on Saturday morning to chance my arm again but the agent said 35% is the best they can go to now.

Think I might take it. I was paying €32 for Movies and the normal package so it'll just increase a tenner to €41.60. The Movies is handy to have because of all the kids films on Sky Disney and Sky Family.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I cancelled on 18th January. Only offer was 35% off as opposed to the 50% I had. I rang them on Saturday morning to chance my arm again but the agent said 35% is the best they can go to now.

Think I might take it. I was paying €32 for Movies and the normal package so it'll just increase a tenner to €41.60. The Movies is handy to have because of all the kids films on Sky Disney and Sky Family.

Give me the name of that agent... I'd take the 35% at this stage. They have an issue with me cause I have been getting offers off them for about 5 years now.

jca wrote: »
    I don't think that will work as the card is paired to the box now. I have a sky+ UK card that asks to be paired to the box when I use it. I just ignore the message but in saying that I can only receive the fta UK channels.

The plan would be to get a new card for his multi room and stick it in my box. If any questions asked it'd just be the case that I gave him the 2nd box.. ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

Returning customer after 12 months Rang Sky an hour ago Variety Tv for €19 per month €36 after 6 months, no contract... Because it was a reactivation of an existing account there is no contract..Keep the wife happy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

The plan would be to get a new card for his multi room and stick it in my box. If any questions asked it'd just be the case that I gave him the 2nd box.. ☺

That might work... Would sky give him an extra card without supplying the extra box?

moeblogs wrote: »
    Keep the wife happy..
    Who, me? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Give me the name of that agent... I'd take the 35% at this stage. They have an issue with me cause I have been getting offers off them for about 5 years now.

I'm with Sky four years now. Have never paid more than half price. Even got six months free at one stage. That said, they may not be able to see that because I've flicked between having it in my name and my wife's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'm with them longer and I always have some deal going. I have reminders set into my phone and frequently give them notice to remove. Always get something back from them. Fear not, have a good poker voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Sorry for going a bit off topic. I'm thinking about getting broadband only from Sky as they're the only company offering 12 month contract. I need it as short as possible because I'm not sure how long we'll be staying at the current address(renting). I wonder if I cancel the contract before the 12 months end how much is the penalty for it? Thank you and sorry!

• Advertisement

padyjoe wrote: »
    Sorry for going a bit off topic. I'm thinking about getting broadband only from Sky as they're the only company offering 12 month contract. I need it as short as possible because I'm not sure how long we'll be staying at the current address(renting). I wonder if I cancel the contract before the 12 months end how much is the penalty for it? Thank you and sorry!
    Sky have their own Talk To Forum here on Boards. Fire your question up there and they will get you a definitive answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

padyjoe wrote: »
    a very lot.
    but you can take your contract with you to your new address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Cancelled last month,called today 50% off for 9 months :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

efb wrote: »
    Cancelled last month,called today 50% off for 9 months :)

Same for me - cancelled account on Jan 3. Got letter last week offering 50% off for 9 months.

Called them and also got HD half price for 12 months as well as multiroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Rang to cancel, currently paying 112.60 per month, been a customer for 8 years,

Offered my a whopping 3 euro off my bill or if I resign the contract for a year it goes up to 9 euro off !

• Advertisement
Advertisement