Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Posted a thread in 'sky talk to' but would hate to give them any money after today. The reps I spoke to were so unhelpful and made me feel like I was lying about the whole thing.

Currently looking into getting a free to air box that records. And also a wee holiday for myself with the money saved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NATLOR

If the Sky talk to reps were any use they would be following this thread and posting answers where relevant,but they dont bother,sums up the company

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Niaveee

Just signed up to sky last week, paying €80 for variety tv, hd and box sets, sky go extra and broadband/tv. Reading this thread it seems I'm paying a lot. Should I phone up to see if I can get a better price for the above as I'm still within the cooling off period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

NATLOR wrote: »
    If the Sky talk to reps were any use they would be following this thread and posting answers where relevant,but they dont bother,sums up the company

The amount of work to do that is huge considering they have their own forum as well. Plus boards isn't their only job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Avada wrote: »
    The amount of work to do that is huge considering they have their own forum as well. Plus boards isn't their only job.

only takes a few minutes once a day if they wanted to read throught the thread posts

we don't know they are not though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ablelocks wrote: »
    are there any disadvantages or anything to watch out for if my wife were to take out a new subscription under her name instead?

anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Niaveee wrote: »
    Just signed up to sky last week, paying €80 for variety tv, hd and box sets, sky go extra and broadband/tv. Reading this thread it seems I'm paying a lot. Should I phone up to see if I can get a better price for the above as I'm still within the cooling off period

you would probably get a better offer but now you're in a contract for the next year. In 11 months time ring to give your 31 days notice.

i've got the same as you (without skygo extra but with phonecalls) for €50pm.

donegal. wrote: »
    you would probably get a better offer but now you're in a contract for the next year. In 11 months time ring to give your 31 days notice.

i've got the same as you (without skygo extra but with phonecalls) for €50pm.

They're not in contract yet, they have a 14 day cooling off period after install.

They're not in contract yet, they have a 14 day cooling off period after install.

if you rang up to cancel within the cooloff period would you be offered a deal to stay ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

if you rang up to cancel within the cooloff period would you be offered a deal to stay ?

Doubtful. The deal to stay is the subsidised box and equipment. It's only after the firstyear where you start to earn sky money for nothing, which is when you hold some bargaining power.

• Advertisement

Not usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

Just looking into the cooling off period myself. Here's how it's presented on citizensinformation.ie.

"Cooling-off period
    You are entitled to a cooling-off period of 14 days, which begins on the day that you receive the goods. In the case of a service, the cooling-off period begins on the day the contract for distance selling was concluded.

In the case of digital content, the cooling-off period expires when the downloading or streaming starts.

During the cooling-off period, you can cancel a distance contract without giving a reason and without incurring charges or penalties, other than possible charges incurred in returning the goods.

If a trader fails to provide you with information on the right to cancel, the cooling-off period is extended to 12 months from the date it would have expired if the information had been provided. If the trader provides the information within this 12-month period, the cooling-off period expires within 14 days of the consumer receiving it."

I'm just out of the 12 month carphone warehouse deal, I'm considering the cancelling without penalty move if I'm not enticed by any of their offers (can't justify a €15 to €50 jump in my bill).
    I'm seeing the price change as a distinction in my contract, a new agreement. I also received no mail or email of the change, and should my cooling off period be extended under the details of the final part of that passage?
    Any experts out there dispute my interpretation?! If I talk to sky support in Scotland, I don't expect them to be fully briefed on this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

if your 12 month contract is up you can just ring and cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

Sorry, just to clarify; the €50 caught me on the hop, I don't want to pay a further month at €50 which I think I may have to do if I have to give the standard 31 days notice.
    If my take on the cooling off period is valid, I can avoid that and perhaps get money back on the initial €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

SMI wrote: »
    "You are entitled to a cooling-off period of 14 days, which begins on the day that you receive the goods"
    SMI wrote: »
    Sorry, just to clarify; the €50 caught me on the hop, I don't want to pay a further month at €50 which I think I may have to do if I have to give the standard 31 days notice.
    You are 11 months and 2 weeks too late.

You have conceded that yourself as you have alluded to the 31 days standard cancellation period.

Consumer affairs forum would be a better place to look for advice on this point or simply post in the Sky Talk To forum

you don't think you should have do give 31 days notice ? why not?

the cooling off period is for when you initially got sky 12 months ago. And i don't see how you could argue that you didn't know the discounted price was going to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ablelocks

are there any disadvantages or anything to watch out for if my wife were to take out a new subscription under her name instead?
    anyone?

anyone at all or is it something that shouldn't be spoken about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

ablelocks wrote: »
    anyone at all or is it something that shouldn't be spoken about?

I got my wife to open new account in the summer has I could not get a deal I was happy with and had no problems, and when that contract is up I may rejoin myself hopefully on 50% discount.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭brophs

We were disconnected today, so I called in and they directed me to the 'win back' department. Without any real back and forth they offered half price on any package for 12 months, with no contract (we took Original and Sports) + HD for €5 p/m. All in around €38.50 p/m which, allowing for the price increases, wouldn't be massively more than we were paying under the old Carphone Warehouse deal (albeit, admittedly, that was Variety + Sports + HD).

At that price it's worth it to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I've moved out of home recently, and my mothers sky is in my name, but out of contract. I want to get it in my new house, and my mam wants to get it into her own name in her house. If I cancel, am I likely to get any special offers to win me back, given that there would be a change of address/set up aswell? Or would they offer it to my mother at a reduced price if she already has the equipment etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭A Law

Just got my price increase letter. Changing terms in February as well. I'm on a 12 month contract, 10 half price. 10 months are nearly up. Can I cancel now as they are changing terms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

jlm29 wrote: »
    I've moved out of home recently, and my mothers sky is in my name, but out of contract. I want to get it in my new house, and my mam wants to get it into her own name in her house. If I cancel, am I likely to get any special offers to win me back, given that there would be a change of address/set up aswell? Or would they offer it to my mother at a reduced price if she already has the equipment etc?

Cancel your old one now.
    Then get your mother to sign up as a new customer, they will give her new equipment
    then you could sign up as new customer at your new place..... don't tell them you had it before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

Other half had the carphone warehouse deal @ 42.75 ( variety , movies , sports & HD) that was just up and missed the end so paid one month at full price.

Rang up to get a deal and TBH was getting nowhere back and forth didn't want sports or HD and wanted the other two for the 42.75 but it was a no go so told her to cancel completely.

Roll on a week and a half she got a call and amazingly they can give us variety , movies , sports @41.75 (after price increase) for 6 months contract free.

Now just need to setup a reminder for month 5 :-)

Seve OB wrote: »
    they will give her new equipment
    Yeah, a new box but if there's a dish already there together with associated cabling then the installers will use it if its in a reasonable condition. Thats in the T & C's.

However removing the dish and cables before the installer arrives will guarantee all new equipment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

txt_mess wrote: »
    Other half had the carphone warehouse deal @ 42.75 ( variety , movies , sports & HD) that was just up and missed the end so paid one month at full price.

Rang up to get a deal and TBH was getting nowhere back and forth didn't want sports or HD and wanted the other two for the 42.75 but it was a no go so told her to cancel completely.

Roll on a week and a half she got a call and amazingly they can give us variety , movies , sports @41.75 (after price increase) for 6 months contract free.

Now just need to setup a reminder for month 5 :-)

I have telephone and BB through sky if I cancel my TV subscription with sky and get my wife to sign up will this ring alarm bells with them ? Or should I cancel whole lot and get it all in my wife's name ?

muffler wrote: »
    Yeah, a new box but if there's a dish already there together with associated cabling then the installers will use it if its in a reasonable condition. Thats in the T & C's.

However removing the dish and cables before the installer arrives will guarantee all new equipment :)

you have to watch those installers like a hawk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Seve OB wrote: »
    Cancel your old one now.
    Then get your mother to sign up as a new customer, they will give her new equipment
    then you could sign up as new customer at your new place..... don't tell them you had it before

I was more wondering if there might be any discount associated with having all the equipment in place, similar to a cancellation special offer. I wouldn't be particularly fussy about getting new equipment, since all the old equipment is fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭bodyguard1

Looking to cancel my Sky Subscription, out of contract at the moment so shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone have a contact number for Sky Ireland apart from the 0818 number ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭bromley52

bodyguard1 wrote: »
    Looking to cancel my Sky Subscription, out of contract at the moment so shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone have a contact number for Sky Ireland apart from the 0818 number ?

Send a PM to the Sky Reps to call you re. your a/c.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=647622

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

What does it cost to have an "engineer" come out if your dish is out of allingement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

I too had the car phone warehouse deal, was only paying €15 for Variety and HD pack (15 for HD & 36 Variety) with the discount of variety pack free but now gone up to the full €51 or €53 with price increase. Gonna ring & cancel now so should I just cancel and wait for them to come back or start to negotiate while on phone or what ?? Also considering one of this Amazon Fire stick things as alternative .. Appreciate any advice, ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Cape Clear wrote: »
    What does it cost to have an "engineer" come out if your dish is out of allingement?

what makes you think it is the dish alignment? are you sure it is not just the LNB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

MoodeRator wrote: »
    what makes you think it is the dish alignment? are you sure it is not just the LNB?

I haven't checked to be honest. I'm just wondering what the charge is for calling someone out or is it covered if you have a subs.

jlm29 wrote: »
    I was more wondering if there might be any discount associated with having all the equipment in place, similar to a cancellation special offer. I wouldn't be particularly fussy about getting new equipment, since all the old equipment is fine

no. you'll get a better deal overall as a new customer probably. the equipment is free for new installs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Del007

Any idea how much it costs for their most basic TV with unlimited broadband for new customers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

Del007 wrote: »
    Any idea how much it costs for their most basic TV with unlimited broadband for new customers?

i think €49

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I haven't checked to be honest. I'm just wondering what the charge is for calling someone out or is it covered if you have a subs.

It's €100 no matter what the issue is. A local installer could probably sort it for €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

kooga wrote: »
    i think €49

Yes 49 for phone, broadband and sky original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

It's €100 no matter what the issue is. A local installer could probably sort it for €20.

I complained about this charge when phoning to cancel my subscription and was told that they wouldn't apply it for any future callouts.
    - might be worth threatening to cancel if they don't offer a free visit.

• Advertisement

Sasso wrote: »
    Yes 49 for phone, broadband and sky original

Cheers

Can you get a package without the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,097 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Cheers

Why don't you have a look at their website and see what they offer?

Cheers

Yes and no sorta. For broadband packages you will pay €30 per month for line rental. This price also includes free off peak calls. There is an option to add anytime calls which is €7.50 extra. The unlimited BB is then €10 extra per month so in total line rental and unlimited BB with free off peak calls will cost you €40 a month at the normal rate unless you look out for ongoing offers for new customers.

Have a look at this page which will show current offers but these change on a regular basis

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Why don't you have a look at their website and see what they offer?

Cheers dude, I never thought about doing that. Thanks for your help

Furzy wrote: »
    I complained about this charge when phoning to cancel my subscription and was told that they wouldn't apply it for any future callouts.

Telling you they wouldn't apply it to future visits was just a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Paying them for any future call outs is also a pipe dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Interesting.
    Had a with a problem with a multi-room connection and they wanted €100 for a call out to fix it.
    Told them no chance and they cut it to €60 immediately, told them I wasn't paying €60 but they wouldn't reduce it so I cancelled the multi-room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Cape Clear wrote:

My dish blew down overnight, rang this morning to organise an engineer visit....started at €100, not paying, then down to €60, not paying, he said he'd speak to his manager. Rang back 30mins later at €10, happy out. I've never paid full price for an engineer visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Murilotdb

Hi!

I have sky broadband only and I was paying 30 euros for the first 4 months. Now, they are charging me 50 euros. My one year contract expires in April, 2016. Do you guys have any suggestion as to how I can get a discount or maybe add a TV channel package to my subscription without further costs?

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭huddlejonny

Furzy wrote: »

Don't ever pay for the engineer to call out. They waive that fee if you threaten to cancel. Regardless of what the issue is.

Advertisement