Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAW Feeders advice

• 27-08-2012 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I have started to supplement my boxers dry food, for the last few days he has had dry in the morning and chicken legs in the evening. He really seems to enjoy it, gives him something more to do than just eating out of a bowl. He makes seriously quick work of these, five minutes and they are gone, he literally just picks them up, chews on them and then swallows, I am assuming I have nothing to be worried about here, he isn't going to eat something so fast that he ends up with a blockage or chokes on it, is he?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My guy is the same - they last seconds and never any problems. Chicken bones are quite soft so there's not much chewing in them. You could maybe holding the end of one and give it to him so he'd have to bite bits off if you're worried. Is there big pieces of bone in his poo or anything? - if not I wouldn't worry too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

tk123 wrote: »
    My guy is the same - they last seconds and never any problems. Chicken bones are quite soft so there's not much chewing in them. You could maybe holding the end of one and give it to him so he'd have to bite bits off if you're worried. Is there big pieces of bone in his poo or anything? - if not I wouldn't worry too much.

I will be doing a poo pick tomorrow so I will check then :) thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    tk123 wrote: »

I will be doing a poo pick tomorrow so I will check then :) thanks for the advice.

Just on the poos - apparently it takes a few days for them to build up the enzymes to break the bones down so you might see some small pieces the first few days. On the flip side - I stopped giving my guy wings after he passed a full bone and the joint thing it was attached to - he clearly wasn't chewing them enough / at all!! Just use your common sense and trust your judgement ;)

Advertisement