Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pcos, thyroid & ibs

Options
  • 27-08-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi I have all above!! The major problem I have is I've put on weight and I can't rid anybody have advice on food, diet and exercise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

I am exactly the same. I have an under active thyroid and i can easly sleep 18 hours a day. My blood tests come back as per normal ie I do not need any more or any less thyroixene. I have put at least 2 stone on in the past year and feel no matter how hard I diet or exersize I can only shift a few pounds, then put it on again.
    I have tried the smoothie diet with chia seeds and veg proitein in it but get fed up with it after a while. I just need energy!!!!!!!!!! Then the weight will shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 caro21

HI Start researching what you are eating and how it affects you.
    Try these really good sites, www.Drmyhill.co.uk she is a medical doctor who is gaining notoriety for her down to earth info about diet and health, she is also struggling not to be struck off by the UK medical profession who dont want her telling people how to eat to improve their health. Also www.kimberlysnyder.com she is a hollywood nutritionalist with sensible info. And www.drcarolyndean.com and her book the magnesium miracle.
    When you start to educate yourself on food and the food industry you will find relief from your symptoms.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Eating a diet based on low GI foods is meant to be best for controlling/helping with PCOS, especially if you have insulin resistance. There's loads of books/cookbooks based on it. have a few myself which seem pretty good, this one especially.

I can't tell you how well it works personally though, 'cause me and diets just don't seem to mix :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3 caro21

I forgot to mention, fluoride. In Ireland it is in the water, so buy bottled or get a good filtration unit for under the sink if you can afford it (can you afford not to?). Fluoride harms the thyroid, by stopping us absorbing iodine, amongst other things. If you dont believe me look at this or give it a go for a month and see if your notice a difference. Boiling it by the way doesnt remove it. http://www.fluoridefreewater.ie Floride in the water is now only in Ireland and two counties in the UK, because of pressure to stop it. If we are going to pay for our water in Ireland I think we should have the choice of what goes into it.

So hydrate yourself more but with clean water.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

It sounds like most of you don't have an optimised thyroid. If you have gained stones and can't shift them, clearly the thyroid is not right. I speak as someone who gained 2.5 stones from being hypo. I had to push for diagnois and proper treatment.

Levothyroxine alone doesn't seem to work for a lot of people. Many people are finally getting well by taking a combination of T4 AND T3. I myself am on T3 only and finally feel like I did before I got sick. I am also only 7 lbs away from where I was before hypo kicked in.

I'm clearly not the only one because the brand of T3 I take has been AWOL from the Irish market for 3 weeks and the pharmacist said that the supplier was having issues with the large increase in T3 prescriptions in Ireland in recent times.

In your shoes I'd check out www.stopthethyroidmadness.com and see about getting optimised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 s.wall

my wife has pcos and found it hard to shift the weight. if you ask your doctors to put you on a case of metaphorman AKA gulcophage it will help you with weight. she was 16st and a year on is 14st 2lbs

Advertisement