Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100 MB Really?

• 27-08-2012 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭

Modem: Cisco EPC 3925

Speed from UPC website:(Tried 3 different times period)
    23jk1n5.png

From Speednet:
    25h0jo1.png

Did anyone have the same issue?
    Still in the cooling period :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Disregard the speedtest.net speed. Most of the servers on that site never give good speed results. Like, the limerick server is awful for me, maybe try the "dublin - digiweb" server on it. I'd tend to trust the upc test more though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Alzone

Disregard the speedtest.net speed. Most of the servers on that site never give good speed results. Like, the limerick server is awful for me, maybe try the "dublin - digiweb" server on it. I'd tend to trust the upc test more though

Thank you for your answer.
    The limerick server give me very bad results too. But the one I am trying is the one from Cork. Also when downloading from any website I never go up the 350 K/sec... It is weird as previously with Magnet 8 MB, the download speed maximum was 800 K/sec (for the 8MB package).

I have also tried another website:
    http://www.bandwidthplace.com/
    2khllg.png

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You working off wifi or cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭roxana

I have same thing, I'm on UPC 30mb and their test is about 23mb/sec, but speedtest showing 6mb/sec. My internet is slower than ever. I have premium accounts on most downloading sites like netload, so what speed should I get? not 500kb/sec I suppose.... still figuring this out. I'm connected via cable.
    What I can do to get faster internet? Please advice :)
    2j26ma9.jpg

First of all, that bandwidthplace.com gives incorrect speed results. Run the upc speedtest here: speedtest.upc.ie. This gives the best and most realistic results.

Often, with sites like netload, the speeds they advertise you as getting are never true. If you want to max our your connection for downloads, you should just download via usenet.

To get faster internet, rind UPC and get them to upgrade your package (that is assuming that you're already with them, if not, switch to UPC)

• Advertisement

First of all, that bandwidthplace.com gives incorrect speed results. Run the upc speedtest here: speedtest.upc.ie. This gives the best and most realistic results.

Often, with sites like netload, the speeds they advertise you as getting are never true. If you want to max our your connection for downloads, you should just download via usenet.

To get faster internet, rind UPC and get them to upgrade your package (that is assuming that you're already with them, if not, switch to UPC)

Thank you for your answer. I am an UPC customer with the 100 MB package (not sure you can actually upgrade...).

My main concern was the download speed and the current use of my bandwidth. Meaning that with a 8 MB package from Magnet, the download speed, streaming and general web browsing was faster than the 100 MB package from UPC... I have called the UPC customer service and I was told to contact youtube and Microsoft in order to resolve that issue.

I am not planing to pay for a 100 MB package because speedtest.upc.ie is giving an incredible result of 101.17 MB when the internet esxperience is no better than a simple 8 MB package from Magnet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Alzone wrote: »
    Thank you for your answer. I am an UPC customer with the 100 MB package (not sure you can actually upgrade...).

My main concern was the download speed and the current use of my bandwidth. Meaning that with a 8 MB package from Magnet, the download speed, streaming and general web browsing was faster than the 100 MB package from UPC... I have called the UPC customer service and I was told to contact youtube and Microsoft in order to resolve that issue.

I am not planing to pay for a 100 MB package because speedtest.upc.ie is giving an incredible result of 101.17 MB when the internet esxperience is no better than a simple 8 MB package from Magnet.

I find that the best way to test your speed reliably is to torrent a large file with a lot of seeders. That should max out your connection and allow you to see what speeds you are getting over a longer period of time. You should be getting a peak download of 12.5MB/s on a 100Mb line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I've always found speedtest.net to be very reliable, it matches up with actual download speeds. It's also an impartial site so why anyone would trust a download speed calculator provided by the company who provides their service is beyond me. Do you guys all work for UPC or something, maybe the speedtest.net server is giving bad results because those are your actual speeds.

To calculate your maximum potential download speed in kb/s divide your advertised speed by 8 (although 10 is sometimes closer to the real figure) so in your case you should be capable of getting 10+ mb/s on your 100 Mbit connection.

I'm on the 25 Mbit package and I can regularly get 2.5 mb/s download speeds (~400 kb/s upload). You're clearly not getting the service you paid for.

@roxana: I assume you're on the same package as me and should be able to get similar speeds. Go download something that you know is not being throttled at the server side and see what your download speed is. If it's not above 2mb/s at least then contact UPC.

rickyjb wrote: »
    I've always found speedtest.net to be very reliable, it matches up with actual download speeds. It's also an impartial site so why anyone would trust a download speed calculator provided by the company who provides their service is beyond me. Do you guys all work for UPC or something, maybe the speedtest.net server is giving bad results because those are your actual speeds.

To calculate your maximum potential download speed in kb/s divide your advertised speed by 8 (although 10 is sometimes closer to the real figure) so in your case you should be capable of getting 10+ mb/s on your 100 Mbit connection.

I'm on the 25 Mbit package and I can regularly get 2.5 mb/s download speeds (~400 kb/s upload). You're clearly not getting the service you paid for.

@roxana: I assume you're on the same package as me and should be able to get similar speeds. Go download something that you know is not being throttled at the server side and see what your download speed is. If it's not above 2mb/s at least then contact UPC.

I've tried that upc speedtest calculator with 3 different providers (UPC, eircom and vodafone) and I've always got a fast speed. I also would tend not to believe the results of a test from my ISP.

@roxana, have you tried using a different browser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I am on 30Mbs, from UPC

During the Steam sale I was downloading 3*3mbs streams, at the same time.

• Advertisement

I usually use Microsoft Filte transfer Manager to download ISO from Microsfoft websites. It has always given me the maximum download speed possible that was provided by the ISP.

ie: Magnet: 800 K/sec (8MB package) and UPC 600 K/sec (100MB package)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I am on 30Mbs, from UPC

During the Steam sale I was downloading 3*3mbs streams, at the same time.

Do UPC offer 30Mbit packages?? I'd be surprised if you were getting 9mb/s download speed from this, 3mb/s sounds about right though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

a lot of people don't seem to realise that not many places that you might download from can supply you with data at 100mbps and not all that can will allow you to so as not to adversely affect their other users.

if you want a true picture of your available bandwidth, get yourself a good download manager and download some linux ISO's from multiple different FTP sites at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Have you turned off IP flood detection in the modem settings?

If you haven't then do so,should make a difference straight away.

vibe666 wrote: »
    a lot of people don't seem to realise that not many places that you might download from can supply you with data at 100mbps and not all that can will allow you to so as not to adversely affect their other users.

True, but we should not expect anything less than what a lower offer from a different ISP was providing (having the same internet experience (Youtube, Download, browsing)...
    vibe666 wrote: »
    if you want a true picture of your available bandwidth, get yourself a good download manager and download some linux ISO's from multiple different FTP sites at the same time.

Always found MFTM very good and accurate but I'll give a try tonight and post the results.

@starviewadams: Will try that, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭roxana

Have you turned off IP flood detection in the modem settings?

If you haven't then do so,should make a difference straight away.

Thanks, I found it and checked it now. Hopefully it will make my life easier. If you have any other tips please share :)

@rickyjb I will try that, thanks!

Advertisement