Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More republican pregnancy nonsense...

• 27-08-2012 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

New law in Arizona states 'pregnancy begins two weeks before conception'

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-law-arizona-states-pregnancy-begins-two-weeks-before-conception
    A new law was signed by Arizona Governor Jan Brewer on Thursday that has abortion advocates up in arms. The new law, titled Women’s Health and Safety Act deems a woman pregnant 2 weeks before conception.

Arizona, Arizona...what are we going to do with you? I think Romney needs to issue a dictat: "STFU until after the election!"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

It's basically an attempt to reduce abortions. As per the article:

"...the law will reduce the amount of time a legal abortion can be obtained by women."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    "...the law will reduce the amount of time a legal abortion can be obtained by women."
    Down to what? -2 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Then this will make any form of contraception illegal... right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Overheal wrote: »
    Down to what? -2 weeks?

It is shaving 2 weeks off the legal latest that an abortion can be performed. They know they can't mess with the later part too much, this shaves off two weeks by shifting the goalposts at the other end of the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It does seem temporally impossible, that's all I'm saying. Swing it whatever way you want, this bans abortions in Arizona.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    It does seem temporally impossible, that's all I'm saying. Swing it whatever way you want, this bans abortions in Arizona.

They would like it to, but it doesn't quite go that far. Plays with some heads though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

WOW....

Surely this will not stand up in time?

By the By...erm how do you know if you are going to be pregnant two weeks before you actually are?

I could be pregnant then whilst having my period...

I COULD BE PREGGERS RIGHT NOW:eek:

So a woman could potentially be pregnant anytime....because potentially pregnant ..is pregnant.

I don't know what the abortion time lapse is ...in the UK its 24 weeks...so with this it would be 22 weeks...thats a late term abortion.

The thing is it only becomes important retrospectively if you DO get pregnant

How can they blatantly deny science like that?

How can they blatantly deny science like that?
    Ever been to Arizona?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Non-stop comedy show, that's all it is. God help rational and reasonable people living there!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A welcome attempt to roll-back the culture of abortion on demand that was encourage by democrats under the Obama era.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

The AZ law now prohibits "abortions on demand" once 20 weeks have passed since a woman’s last menstrual period, which is about 18 weeks after fertilization? Am I reading this correctly?

Manach wrote: »
    A welcome attempt to roll-back the culture of abortion on demand that was encourage by democrats under the Obama era.

Utter tosh. The only abortion legislation he has touched has been to reverse a law known as the “global gag rule” instituted in 1984 by President Ronald Reagan. This is the traditional tag-team law the every president reverses.
    Amerika wrote: »
    The AZ law now prohibits "abortions on demand" once 20 weeks have passed since a woman’s last menstrual period, which is about 18 weeks after fertilization? Am I reading this correctly?

Sounds to be about right, they are also forcing an ultrasound 24 hours before. A sort of Brady law for abortion. Wonder will they force women to look at the screen. "Look, look at your baby" type of thing. Sickening behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Lately when the Republicans open their mouths on this subject, my brain just instinctively flashes up that picture of Professor Farnsworth declaring that he doesn't want to live on this planet anymore.

Incidentally, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all my fellow female posters a happy prepregnancy. I too was shocked at first, but now I'm just excitedly picking out a couple of hundred thousand names for all my precious little god given ova.

Incidentally, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all my fellow female posters a happy prepregnancy. I too was shocked at first, but now I'm just excitedly picking out a couple of hundred thousand names for all my precious little god given ova.

Oh, god. Almost half the population are now gonna want a baby shower every month!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

That's the recession sorted, I suppose. There's that strong economic policy in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

No. Just no. Surely this is a parody story from The Onion or something.

DB21 wrote: »
    No. Just no. Surely this is a parody story from The Onion or something.

I crossed my fingers, span around three times, said my name backwards in the mirror seven times, spat on my black cat.

But it was still there....

Same Governor has just given the Tea Party flag the same status as the Stars and Stripes so that Homeowners Associations cannot ban flying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Manach wrote: »

Really? And how was that 'culture' encouraged?

Please be very specific.

Advertisement