Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need to vent my anger

Options
  • 27-08-2012 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

I am a little hesitant writing this post and it's about a certain airline who I won't mention. But the reason I have put it in this forum is because it affects parents with kids.
    On Saturday I was traveling back from Malaga with my husband and 2 kids age 2 and 4. We had no issues flying out to Malaga from Dublin. We had paid for priority boarding because no.1, I wanted the kids seated near us and no.2, I am nervous flying. Normally when you've gone through the scanners in an airport, if you have time you can go get something to eat on the other side and when you're done head to your gate. Which was grand when we were in Dublin because we just went into the priority queue and went ahead of all the others and got seated together. In Malaga we went down to board because our boarding gate came up on screen but when we got there they had put up a passport control area which meant there was at least 100 people trying to get through. There were 2 people checking passports but it moved slowly. Then we got called to board but we were at the end of the queue. All the other people on the flight were in the same boat as us except the people who had gone down that way earlier. Anyway to cut a long story short we got our seats together even though half the plane had boarded ahead of us.
    The reason I am angry is for all the other parents who had small kids and probably thought to themselves ah sure, they'll hardly leave the child sit on thier own. Wrong... They don't care. there were 3 or 4 parents left standing in the aisles wondering if they would have to leave their 3 or 4 year old sit on thier own. The plane was delayed. The air hostess asked a lady to sit down to which she replied I have no seat and I can't leave a 3 year old sit on her own. I think someone moved in the end. Now some kids don't sit still, some get pains in their ears, some are nervous and some are simply to young to be left without a parent or guardian sitting next to them. :(
    Although my family were fine I couldn't help feeling sorry for the other parents because of the unnecessary stress they had to go through. the worst part was While I ranted to others when I got back people just shrug and say"Ah yea that's how they do it now". But that's wrong. Am I alone in thinking that.
    So that I don't sound like a complete moaner I had a great holiday other than that. The Spanish seem to love kids and they were welcome and catered for everywhere we went.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Shouldn't your gripe be with the airport, not Ryanair?

From your post, I think that it was the airport ground staff who set up passport control. Ryanair don't provide their own ground staff, bar the ones who are travelling on the plane who will soametimes check your tickets. They use the airport supplied ground staff, who will apply airline policy to you as you board, but will apply airport policy before you do. Ryanair would have had no control over this.

While it was unfortunate that the priority boarding wasn't applied and families got separated, it probably had nothing to do with Ryanair. They rely on the ground staff to do all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Shouldn't your gripe be with the airport, not Ryanair?

From your post, I think that it was the airport ground staff who set up passport control. Ryanair don't provide their own ground staff, bar the ones who are travelling on the plane who will soametimes check your tickets. They use the airport supplied ground staff, who will apply airline policy to you as you board, but will apply airport policy before you do. Ryanair would have had no control over this.

While it was unfortunate that the priority boarding wasn't applied and families got separated, it probably had nothing to do with Ryanair. They rely on the ground staff to do all of that.
    True the situation on ground was an unfortunate one because it wasn't always like that. My gripe is because lets just say i didn't book priority boarding. I would get no cooperation from the flight staff to get a seat with my kids. Now there was one guy up the aisle who was tryin his best to be fair to him but the others just wanted everyone seated because they had a slot of time to take off in. but you can't just throw everyone into their seats and then say ok come on lets go. I just don't see why they can't just assign seats when you book. I will be reserving a seat the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ameeee

Ryanair is a no-frills airline. This is reflected in the prices. If you want allocated seats, fly aerlingus. It's as simple as that. It's the nature of the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Sit down. Sort it out once airborne. Don't delay the flight. Your 3 year old will be fine for 10 minutes until after takeoff. Then ask if you can switch seats with the person next to the child. I would be delighted to move away from the 3 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

To be fair to Ryanair I fly with them a lot, and I've seen parents arrive with kids, with no priority boarding waltz up the gate expecting to get past everyone, and when they don't, causing a scene on the plane, and the flight attendants having to ask people to move so no child is left to sit alone.

Don't they normally call "anyone with young kids" to the front anyway or is that done away with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

I agree that yes you do get what you pay for with this no frills airline and there are no guarantees regarding seating etc.

however my biggest problem here is the fact that if i was sitting on a plane and a parent had to leave their young child sitting beside me I would immediately offer my seat to the parent, without hesitation. I can't believe that a grown adult would sit there witnessing this and not offer to switch seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

MadsL wrote: »
    Sit down. Sort it out once airborne. Don't delay the flight. Your 3 year old will be fine for 10 minutes until after takeoff. Then ask if you can switch seats with the person next to the child. I would be delighted to move away from the 3 year old.

Are you for real? A 3 year old on it's own on a plane during take off (or any other time). Do you expect him/her to just sit there quietly with its seat belt on surrounded by strangers? Do you expect the strangers to "mind" them also?
    I would be delaying the flight for as long as it took for someone with a bit of common sense to offer to swap seats...and I bet it would not take long as I still think most people are fairly sensible and people like you are in a small minority still thankfully (possibly due to natural selection).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

If people want to sit together they should buy priority boarding! Its advertised for sale for a reason!
    OP would you bother paying for priority boarding if you knew that youd get a seat together just because you have a child?
    Now you still might pay for it if you'd prefer not to queue but most parents wouldn't bother! I know that I'd rather wait 15 mins extra in the airport terminal than in the environs of a cramped airplane.
    If people who are traveling together dont want to pay extra, arrive at the gate 15-20 minutes before it opens and start to queue. Any time that I've flown with Ryanair in the past this has always worked successfully!
    Personally I'd rather have a cheaper flight than the way it was 20 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

This is why I won't fly with ryanair, I will choose Aerlingus or travel agent first. Not a hope would I let my child sit on her own. She's only 2 so it's not even a idea that would cross my mind.

Why would any parent a plane taking off is a big experience for a child, the noise, sensation, your ears popping etc they need reassurance from the parents not a random
    Stranger who was too lazy to swap seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I think the problem here is fellow passengers and not Ryanair. They are a short haul airline so people could just move and we'd all get going quicker. It can be a pain if you leave your luggage in an overhead compartment and have to move a bit away from it, but the rush some people always seem to be in :rolleyes:

I get a bit bored of people moaning about Ryanair - you can fly to London for as little as €20, not happy with it, pay triple and fly with Aer Lingus.

• Advertisement

Scortho wrote: »
    If people want to sit together they should buy priority boarding! Its advertised for sale for a reason!
    OP would you bother paying for priority boarding if you knew that youd get a seat together just because you have a child?
    Now you still might pay for it if you'd prefer not to queue but most parents wouldn't bother! I know that I'd rather wait 15 mins extra in the airport terminal than in the environs of a cramped airplane.
    If people who are traveling together dont want to pay extra, arrive at the gate 15-20 minutes before it opens and start to queue. Any time that I've flown with Ryanair in the past this has always worked successfully!
    Personally I'd rather have a cheaper flight than the way it was 20 years ago

Fair enough, that's a valid point made by a few people here. But you're talking about little 2/3 year olds here! Not exactly the same as two adults complaining they can't sit beside each other!

augusta24 wrote: »
    Fair enough, that's a valid point made by a few people here. But you're talking about little 2/3 year olds here! Not exactly the same as two adults complaining they can't sit beside each other!

Ryanair are simple! Obey their rules and you'll have a great flight!
    You have two choices if you want to sit with you're children. Pay for priority boarding or start queueing at the gate about 20 mins before you board! If you're using priority boarding you have to be there a few mins early anyway to make it worthwhile or else half the plane will be full!

Ludo wrote: »
    Are you for real? A 3 year old on it's own on a plane during take off (or any other time). Do you expect him/her to just sit there quietly with its seat belt on surrounded by strangers? Do you expect the strangers to "mind" them also?

Hold on. I'm suggesting that in all of that trying to get a seat there was probably a seat within one or two rows and within sight of the 3 year old. What I am saying is that if seating on boarding is difficult sit down, stop fussing and sort it out once the flight is in the air. If you explain the situation to the people around you one of them is sure to be willing to switch seats.

If the 3 year old was fine on the way over, they will be fine for 10 minutes during takeoff. Then sort it out. The aircrew will ensure that little Johnny has his seatbelt on.
    I would be delaying the flight for as long as it took for someone with a bit of common sense to offer to swap seats...and I bet it would not take long as I still think most people are fairly sensible and people like you are in a small minority still thankfully (possibly due to natural selection).

What I'm saying is stop being precious and delaying everybody when this can be resolved calmly and the crew have time to get it sorted. Just before takeoff when time is tight for a takeoff slot will win you no friends from the crew.

And as for that attitude of yours, my god. As long as you and your dahling little offspring are catered for, well, to hell with delaying an entire planeful of people. Yes, us. The ones glaring lasers at you and muttering "ffs, sit down"

As to "people like me" (my word, the smell of entitlement off you) and natural selection, we are the ones who raise our offspring to have a bit of independence and self-reliance. I figure they survive better that way. God forbid you should not be within 3 inches of your "baby" for 10 minutes in a sealed tube with everyone strapped in their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I wouldn't be happy leaving a 3 year old sitting on their own. Or a five year old. Etc etc.

Therefore I'd either fly ryanair and purchase priority boarding. Or fly Aer Lingus.

Simples.

amdublin wrote: »
    I wouldn't be happy leaving a 3 year old sitting on their own. Or a five year old. Etc etc.

Therefore I'd either fly ryanair and purchase priority boarding. Or fly Aer Lingus.

Simples.

Priority boarding would not have made a difference in this case because the issue was with the delays checking through passport control in the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

If the 3 year old was fine on the way over, they will be fine for 10 minutes during takeoff. Then sort it out. The aircrew will ensure that little Johnny has his seatbelt on.

The take off and landing is the time that the child is likely to have to most issues with the air pressure so would act up then and need their parents. I think that would be the issue more so. my daughter is still a lap passenger but when shes older i wouldn't leave her to sit alone until maybe 8/9.

Yes ryanair are a budget airline but they no longer allow children to fly alone as they cant look after them on a flight but they expect you to sit away from your child - is that not almost the same thing?

<GARBAGE> SNIP </GARBAGE>

Entitlement? No...common sense and courtesy.

I have offered to move for people on ryanair flights before (no kids involved) as it is the decent thing to do. No delay involved and no laser daggers required. It really isn't that difficult to be nice to people. You should give it a try sometime.

bstar wrote: »

The take off and landing is the time that the child is likely to have to most issues with the air pressure so would act up then and need their parents. I think that would be the issue more so. my daughter is still a lap passenger but when shes older i wouldn't leave her to sit alone until maybe 8/9.

Yes ryanair are a budget airline but they no longer allow children to fly alone as they cant look after them on a flight but they expect you to sit away from your child - is that not almost the same thing?
    Good point. and a few people have mentioned the no frills thing. I have flown with "frills" airlines. I don't think that I should have had to pay priority to sit with my kids it isn't a frill!! A frill is a free meal or a comfortable seat.
    Also I am all for encouraging kids to be independent but inside a plane isn't the place and not just because its strange and new to the but also for the comfort of other passengers. Eg. my son was kicking the seat in front of him. I put a stop to it straight away. And my daughters ears popped. I had my arm around her for the whole landing and kept her calm.

bstar wrote: »

We are talking at the max 10 minutes here before the seatbelt sign goes off. Give them something to suck on to help the pressure, and something to play with. Pressure tends to be much worse on landing anyway.

I'm not suggesting letting them fly alone for the entire flight, just being sensible and not delaying a flight to sort out a minor seating problem.
    Entitlement? No...common sense and courtesy.

I have offered to move for people on ryanair flights before (no kids involved) as it is the decent thing to do. No delay involved and no laser daggers required. It really isn't that difficult to be nice to people. You should give it a try sometime.

Where is your own common sense and courtesy? Firstly you are proposing delaying an entire flight full of people just so that you are satisfied and secondly - the sheer hostility off you making cracks about natural selection just because you disagreed with my post. Babby keeping you up?

Of course I would move. Where did I say I wouldn't? I'd also like people travelling with kids to get fecking organised and have some common sense. It's not hard, and a family of four, guess what, don't have to sit together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

No we had the exact same situation when travelling Malaga to Dublin aswell, cattle mart rust onto plane, 4 year old had to sit on his own for take off. We asked to move to some empty seats up front which were vacent and we were allowed but on landing we had to go back to our original seats. Complete joke, 4 year old had fallen asleep I woke him and put him sitting beside a complete stranger. He cried so much he got sick all over the isle and I still could'nt go to him as we were landing.

Never again, why pay for priority boarding when they dont have it on return journey, R---Air did'nt give a dam when complained.

Lovely smell of vomit which everyone had to avoide or walk in when we landed.

• Advertisement

Babby keeping you up?

Don't have one...so that would be a no :D

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

it is VERY obvious that some people who have replied to this thread do not have a three year old. they do not sit still. they do not like to be away from their mammy or daddy and they do stuff like vomit, cry, pee and kick seats. it's common sense that Ryanair fix the groundstaff problem in Spain to stop this problem but people should be nice and give their seat up. Is it really going to upset you that much to sit on your own (as you're asking a small child to)?

RubyGirl wrote: »
    No we had the exact same situation when travelling Malaga to Dublin aswell, cattle mart rust onto plane, 4 year old had to sit on his own for take off. We asked to move to some empty seats up front which were vacent and we were allowed but on landing we had to go back to our original seats. Complete joke, 4 year old had fallen asleep I woke him and put him sitting beside a complete stranger. He cried so much he got sick all over the isle and I still could'nt go to him as we were landing.

Never again, why pay for priority boarding when they dont have it on return journey, R---Air did'nt give a dam when complained.

Lovely smell of vomit which everyone had to avoide or walk in when we landed.

So 50/50 then, he was fine on takeoff but not on landing. No-one died anyway.
    Don't have one...so that would be a no :D

What's with the hostility then?

The reason aircrews don't give a damn is that they see situations like this everyday, at takeoff their priority is to get everyone sat down and strapped in. There is far too much fussing about bags not fitting, can't find room, emergency rows. If they can sort a problem they will, but they have limited time to do that in if the Captain is hassling to push back. They would much rather sort this out once underway. It would really help them if panicky parents could just chill out for 10 minutes and then sort it out.

it is VERY obvious that some people who have replied to this thread do not have a three year old. they do not sit still. they do not like to be away from their mammy or daddy and they do stuff like vomit, cry, pee and kick seats. it's common sense that Ryanair fix the groundstaff problem in Spain to stop this problem but people should be nice and give their seat up. Is it really going to upset you that much to sit on your own (as you're asking a small child to)?

My 15 year old just flew transatlantic on her own, including changing planes.
    She then flew, again on her own, to San Francisco via Las Vegas and back. I'll wait for the bubble-wrap comments about never letting my child do such a thing.

Yes, I've had a 3 year old. And flown with her at that age.

Incidentally, the OP might just clarify how old their kids are, is it 2, 3 or 4?

But having flown through Malaga, I agree it is absolute mess on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I flew home from Barcelona on sat with the missus and the 3 little ones (6,4,3).

Ryanair couldn't have been better....missus got 3 seats to be with the eldest 2 and after a few mins I got a seat beside the 3 year old.

People moved...I thanked them for doing so.

I'll move for any family if I'm on my own - no big deal.

No priority booking and we were fairly near the end of the queue of people getting on.

Will I fly with them next year....if they're between the 300 and 850 quid cheaper than aer Linus have been charging the past few years, then yes it'll be Ryanair again.

My 15 year old just flew transatlantic on her own, including changing planes.
    She then flew, again on her own, to San Francisco via Las Vegas and back. I'll wait for the bubble-wrap comments about never letting my child do such a thing.

Yes, I've had a 3 year old. And flown with her at that age.

Incidentally, the OP might just clarify how old their kids are, is it 2, 3 or 4?

But having flown through Malaga, I agree it is absolute mess on the ground.
    two kids aged 2 and 4. Just a question too because I am seeing a trend here. Is it just Malaga that seems to be a cattle mart or is it all airports this airline flies to?
    Also to the people who are sayin give the kid something to suck they'll be fine tis only 10 minutes well the sucking doesn't work and ten minutes of listening to someones kid distressed because of this is a long ten minutes.

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    two kids aged 2 and 4. Just a question too because I am seeing a trend here. Is it just Malaga that seems to be a cattle mart or is it all airports this airline flies to?
    Also to the people who are sayin give the kid something to suck they'll be fine tis only 10 minutes well the sucking doesn't work and ten minutes of listening to someones kid distressed because of this is a long ten minutes.

Yep, I understand it can be annoying for other passengers, but it is less annoying than watching all the faffing about whilst the plane misses a departure slot. Some passengers may have connections.

What's with the hostility then?

Probably because of the flippant comment about it only being ten minutes and sure they will be grand.
    I would actually class it as dangerous to leave a three year old unattended during take-off of a flight. It is not the responsibility of strangers to ensure they keep their seat belt on. If they take it off once the place accelerates it could potentially lead to an unfortunate accident...or if they suddenly decide they want to be with their parents and try to get to them which three year olds are prone to doing.

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    Good point. and a few people have mentioned the no frills thing. I have flown with "frills" airlines. I don't think that I should have had to pay priority to sit with my kids it isn't a frill!!

Yes but you know that Ryanair don't provide this service for free! The reason why they don't is because theyre aware that people are willing to pay extra for it! If you want to take the risk and not pay for the priority boarding, thats fine! Turn up early and you'll get your seat together!
    Its not that difficult! They've rules! you follow them and you'll be doing well to find an airline that is better than them at the same price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

We flew home from Florida with Aer Lingus and it is a nine hour flight. Families were not seated together. A 7 year old was sitting between my husband and the small child of another family who was already getting sick before the flight even took off. We all just swapped around ourselves. The staff weren't interested in assisting at all but everyone got sorted in the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement