Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 people decapitated by taliban

Options
  • 27-08-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

So 17 people in Afghanistan yesterday died at the hands of insane blade wielding psychopaths.

Inevitably a thread opens in AH.

Some guy types this "Fúcking house partys, someone always looses the head!"

Another guy corrects that guys spelling and get yellow carded.

Yet not a bother with the first guy effectively pissing on the graves of those people.

We'll no doubt have tragedies in Irish papers in the coming months.

Will we be able to have a good old laugh at people dying in car crashes etc.

What may happen if a previous tragedy involving a group of young Irish lads who died in a car crash was put up in AH and everyone started ripping the piss.

WeIrD inc ons istant moderation.

This site is A OK with the pss being taken out of young men and women who decapitated by the taliban just yesterday.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It wouldn't really be the same though would it seeing as there's a very real chance a friend or family member of one of those lads killed could be reading it.
    Where as it's quite unlikely any of those affected by the events in Afghanistan yesterday will be reading.
    Not that it would really justify it either though I suppose.

Anyway, that joke is more of a simple play on words than anything. In a perfect world such jokes probably wouldn't exist, but I think you just have to get used to them.
    If it was used by a stand up comedian no body would bat an eye lid, unless it was too close to home.

There's always going to be a few jokes in the first replies to a thread in AH.

I see where you're coming form however.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It wouldn't really be the same though would it seeing as there's a very real chance a friend or family member of one of those lads killed could be reading it.
    Where as it's quite unlikely any of those affected by the events in Afghanistan yesterday will be reading.
    Not that it would really justify it either though I suppose.

Anyway, that joke is more of a simple play on words than anything. In a perfect world such jokes probably wouldn't exist, but I think you just have to get used to them.
    If it was used by a stand up comedian no body would bat an eye lid, unless it was too close to home.

There's always going to be a few jokes in the first replies to a thread in AH.

I see where you're coming form however.

:confused:

Make up your mind Teddy. Are you with or against the OP because you've got me really confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

MugMugs wrote: »
    :confused:

Make up your mind Teddy. Are you with or against the OP because you've got me really confused!
    I'm somewhere in the middle. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Its AH FFS..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Its AH FFS..
    Are you equating posting in AH with having a licence to be a dick?

• Advertisement

Are you equating posting in AH with having a licence to be a dick?

That's unfair. There's a certain level of known "give" in AH. I'd be of the belief that's what was meant.

That's unfair. There's a certain level of known "give" in AH. I'd be of the belief that's what was meant.
    I don't think it's unfair - otherwise I wouldn't have posted as I did.

Yes, I know that AH is somewhat more liberal than most other forums on boards, but that does not mean that there is carte blanche to post anything you like. And it is perfectly reasonable in feedback to seek to have the criteria examined and possibly modified.

And it is perfectly reasonable in feedback to seek to have the criteria examined and possibly modified.

And I said it wasn't when?

And I said it wasn't when?
    What are you trying to achieve here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

What are you trying to achieve here?

One might ask the same question of thee.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    One might ask the same question of thee.
    I don't mind saying what I am trying to achieve here: I'm trying to help boards to achieve and maintain a moderately high standard; I'm a big supporter of the DBAD guideline.

I don't mind saying what I am trying to achieve here: I'm trying to help boards to achieve and maintain a moderately high standard; I'm a big supporter of the DBAD guideline.

I'd say you don't appreciate certain types of humour and wish to enforce that agenda on a forum in which you've never posted.

Nodin wrote: »
    I'd say you don't appreciate certain types of humour and wish to enforce that agenda on a forum in which you've never posted.
    I have already declined to get into a mud-wrestling contest with MugsMugs. I am even less interested in getting into tag mud-wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Just because people joke about awful events from which they are far removed geographically/culturally, doesn't mean that's their actual opinion. Often it's a coping mechanism, to lighten up the mood, instead of everyone sitting around being sombre - not always a bad thing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Watch a man being depcapitated, I suggest the Christian in Ethiopia and come back to me and see how funny it is.

That being said nobody has a right to choose for others where they should find humor. I think the OP has found a loophole in the rules of AH that show up consistent but odd rules. No spell check Nazi's etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

A quick correction here...and this relates to the other feedback thread on the recent revelation by one of the directors of the matrix

No boards.ie does not condone posters mocking people being decapitated or abused in any way whatsoever.

Neither, however, is boards.ie the enforcer of unified opinion. Rigol finds the post distasteful. Fine. I find it humorous but in a guilty humour kind of way. I know its wrong but its not directly abusive. It was in no way a racist/sectarian slur on the culture or religion of the victims or those that performed such an atrocity. It was a joke. no one remember the Zebrugger(sp?) Ferry jokes that came out after that disaster?

@AckwelFoley: No one has to watch a person being decapitated to know that its not funny. Just as no-one has to watch footage of D-Day or the Somme to know that war is no laughing matter. making a humorous comment does not automatically imply agreement with the act (ever hear a Titanic joke? Did you tell them to watch the movie Titanic and ask them to come back to you and see if they's smiling (or sane)? ). having said that, you are absolutely correct, no-one has the right to choose for others where they should find humour but we do have the right (on this site) to set a level of what is and is not acceptable behaviour in the interest of promoting discussion and exchange of ideas. If some prefer to do that in a non-offensive humorous way...

Again, yes it was a horrible occurrance and yes, it would be wrong to make mockery or abusive posts so soon after the event but that comment was generic humour. Different people handle such scenes in different ways. Was the joke disrespectful? yes. mildly. more so to anyone that has ever known someone who was decapitated. Was it abusive? no. not at all.

As for the "ah sure its After Hours" mentality, that has to go - and not just for the users commenting on AH but for the posters posting there as well. After Hours is a forum on boards.ie and as such those posting there have to abide by the boards.ie rules and regulations as well as the charter for the After Hours forum. It is there as a sort of "pub banter" forum where anything goes as far as conversation topics (with one or two notable exceptions) but the DBAD rule is still applied and a certain level of respect to fellow posters and decency in general is still required. So, no, AH is not a license to be a arse but it is a place where humour will crop up in almost every thread, just as , if I go to the pub I'm pretty sure one of my friends is going to tell a humorous story or crack a joke about a topic that I may find sensitive, as long as the intention behind the comment is not to offend or abuse then I'm pretty sure I'll snort my beer (not a pleasant experience...especially if its a guinness!) with the rest of them. The mods do their best to achieve that same level of banter/risque/topical discussion in AH. If you find such an atmosphere unsavoury, then yes, by all means (politely) notify a mod or post feedback, preferably after giving the mod a chance to respond as it is the polite thing to do, but lets not degrade AH by implying that it is any less a discussion forum than any other (something I myself have been guilty of in the past until I saw the work the mods are doing in there to ensure users know otherwise) and if you find whats acceptable there to not be acceptable to you then I suggest that each user excercise their right to not visit that forum. Just like users have the ability not to visit any forum on boards that houses discussion on any social group or belief system that they find personally distasteful or offensive.

As to the user correcting the spelling of the joke getting a yellow card...if someone at the table I was sitting at constantly corrected the grammar of others in conversation I'd be in no doubt as to who was acting like a dick in that group.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is funny that the Taliban beheading people is more acceptable than the batman shooting. In a thread for that any jokes or p***taking were strictly forbidden yet it is ok for beheadings in Afghanistan.
    I would say there is an equally slim chance of someone from Colorado reading as there is someone from Afghanistan.

Double standard here? Definitely an inconsistency with the modding in AH*

*which is a forum that tolerates outrageous statements of racism and bigotry at the best of times. I have often reported posts there especially for racism that were never even yellow carded.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is funny that the Taliban beheading people is more acceptable than the batman shooting. In a thread for that any jokes or p***taking were strictly forbidden yet it is ok for beheadings in Afghanistan.
    I would say there is an equally slim chance of someone from Colorado reading as there is someone from Afghanistan.

Double standard here? Definitely an inconsistency with the modding in AH*

*which is a forum that tolerates outrageous statements of racism and bigotry at the best of times. I have often reported posts there especially for racism that were never even yellow carded.

They may not have been yellow carded due to the phenomena of you thinking something =/= it automatically being so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

not my opinion as such but an application of a general definition of racism

rac·ism
    noun
    1.a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2.a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3.hatred or intolerance of another race or other races

racial slur

a derogatory or disrespectful nickname for a racial group, used without restraint

Keep a look out. You will see it alot

not my opinion as such but an application of a general definition of racism

O sure I've no opinion on that sort of thing at all, at all.

• Advertisement

Apologies. I am not sure what point you are trying to make here.
    It is a side issue anyway as the thread is re the Taliban beheadings which was my main point.

Apologies. I am not sure what point you are trying to make here.
    It is a side issue anyway as the thread is re the Taliban beheadings which was my main point.

And my point was that you thinking something deserves action, and it actually deserving action, are not necessarily one and the same thing.

Plus what Lolth said.

My point was on the double standard of the Batman shooting where no p*** taking was permitted compared to the Taliban beheadings where there was. Why the double standard?

Advertisement