Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whirlpool tumble dryer

• 27-08-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

Have a Whirlpool tumble dryer which has started making a loud "groaning" noise when turned on. It still works though is not as efficient as it once was (about 10 years old so owes me nothing !).

Anyone have any idea what might be gone to cause this noise, and is it worth repairing or go for a replacement machine ? I don't want to spend 60/70/80 euro for a callout only to be told it's knackered and needs replacing !

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

HHmmm Groaning kind hard to imagine but you may want to take off the back it may have thrown a belt or something.

If it sounds like there's stones grating inside it then I'd say that the bearings on the drum are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Is it a vented or condenser dryer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 camusflage

Just came across this thread, do any of you know if it's worth replacing the bearings on 6 year old dryer? I've been advised to just buy a whole new dryer because of the age but not sure what to do.

Six years isn't that old! My last dryer lasted 18 years, as the whether you get it repaired really depends on the cost of repair verses cost of replacement.
    A DIY repair could cost about €10-20 depending on the cost of the bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 camusflage

Thanks for your response. I got a quote of 80 (call out) + 170 (parts) today which I considered a bit pricey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭anuprising

camusflage wrote: »
    Thanks for your response. I got a quote of 80 (call out) + 170 (parts) today which I considered a bit pricey!

rediculous quote - independent engineer max price €100 to cover parts and labour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

problem depending on model is prob the v shaped pully rollers that tension the belt near the motor not a hard fix but parts from w pool can be expensive

Advertisement