Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 weeks in Asia - suggestions for route / itinerary?

• 27-08-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently took redundancy from my job, and have a bit of time on my hands so I figure now's the time to take a guilt-free trip to Asia! I plan on leaving Ireland around Sept 13th for 3 weeks, returning on the 5th Oct in time for a family event. So my question really is, where would people recommend I go?

- My current thoughts are that I'd like to see one (or a combination) out of Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Burma.

- Should I just stick to one country, and if so which would people recommend?

- Or if I was to combine two or more, what suggestions would you make?

All advice gratefully appreciated,

Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Three weeks I'd travel Vietnam its a great country, you'll be a bit rushed to see the sites you'll definitely won't see all the country. Emirates fly to HCMC via Dubai great rates at the moment, once in HCMC make your bookings for chu chi tunnels and maybe a two day tour Mekong delta, from HCMC head up the coast to mui ne, Dalat, nah trang, hoi an, china beach, danang up to Hanoi, from Hanoi book tours to Halong bay and Sapa. fly from Hanoi back to HCMC and home!!
    You'll be in a rush to see everything but if you plan well you'll see all the sites. Vietnam dirt cheap accommoadtion and food are good and it's easy to get around the country.
    Cambodia another lovely country but I've a really soft spot for Vietnam heading back in march for two months for the fifth time.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭celtictigermrk2

Three weeks I'd travel Vietnam its a great country, you'll be a bit rushed to see the sites you'll definitely won't see all the country. Emirates fly to HCMC via Dubai great rates at the moment, once in HCMC make your bookings for chu chi tunnels and maybe a two day tour Mekong delta, from HCMC head up the coast to mui ne, Dalat, nah trang, hoi an, china beach, danang up to Hanoi, from Hanoi book tours to Halong bay and Sapa. fly from Hanoi back to HCMC and home!!
    You'll be in a rush to see everything but if you plan well you'll see all the sites. Vietnam dirt cheap accommoadtion and food are good and it's easy to get around the country.
    Cambodia another lovely country but I've a really soft spot for Vietnam heading back in march for two months for the fifth time.

Sounds great, you've done a fine job in selling it anyhow, cheers for that!!

Would you recommend doing it solo? Or seeing as how I'm tightish on time I had looked at these 2 options with Intrepid

- http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/TVSR#overview -

- http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/TZXC#overview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

I'd also recommend travelling up (or down) Vietnam, with a few days in Cambodia to see the Angkor temples near Siem Reap - well worth the detour. You could fly between some places in Vietnam to save time, as it is a long way between HCMC and Hanoi, and research some of the places you want to visit/skip beforehand. With some good planning, you'll be able to do it independently, but there's also advantages to an organised trip like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Sounds great, you've done a fine job in selling it anyhow, cheers for that!!

Would you recommend doing it solo? Or seeing as how I'm tightish on time I had looked at these 2 options with Intrepid

- http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/TVSR#overview -

- http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/TZXC#overview

The two intrepid deals look good, the cycling one I'd go for if that's way you want to go, everything is done for you!!! Vietnam is easy to travel by yourself but make sure you have some kind of itinerary ready cos its easy to fall into the backpacker lifestyle and just drink your days away and chill out, the first intrepid deal you could do yourself as roro2 says fly between cities it'll help with time, Vietnam airlines and vietjet have cheap fares if booked ahead. Don't forget to sort visa before you go no visa no entry....
    Your better off booking a hostel/hotel before you leave and get them to pick you up at the airport, with the long flight you'll be f##ked and the taxi guys will try and rip you off!! If need any more help Let me know and happy travels.

Advertisement