Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charges for using VisaDebit

Options
  • 27-08-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I was given a VisaDebit card in replacement for my Laser. I use Moneybookers/Skrill a lot, and to upload funds to my Skrill account from my laser card was instant and free of charge. Now I am charged 1.9% by Skrill as my debit card is now VisaDebit. Skrill have told me they charge this fee because of the fees that Visa charge them. I believe that this is unfair of BOI to issue these cards to customers when they involve incurring extra charges for using them in the same manner/place as they used Laser for free. Why have BOI switched to Visa if it is going to cost us more money to use them?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You realise that now you have a visa debit card you don't need to use Moneybookers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paydro2012

I use moneybookers as a holding ground for funds, not for the prepaid card.

paydro2012 wrote: »
    I use moneybookers as a holding ground for funds, not for the prepaid card.
    What do you use your bank account for?

who the hell are you and what business is it of yours what I use my account for? I put this up because I wanted a response from a BOI rep not a nosy arsehole like you.

I'm just a concerned citizen, baffled at why someone would use monkeybookers as a "holding ground for funds" when this is what banks are for.

If you really need a "holding ground for funds", then I heartily recommend the Minnie Mouse Money Bank from Argos, which offers a low cost, no fees alternative.

• Advertisement

It is still none of your business 'concerned citizen' and that childish link is just that, childish.
    Moneybookers charge no fees for their transactions which is why I use them instead of paying the bank charges. Happy now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Could you transfer the money in via Online Banking?

That would still be free, if not a bit slower.

Unfortunately (for situations like this) nobody's issuing Laser Card anymore.

You could also lobby Moneybookers as they're getting a raw deal on their fees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi paydro2012,
    paydro2012 wrote: »
    I believe that this is unfair of BOI to issue these cards to customers when they involve incurring extra charges for using them in the same manner/place as they used Laser for free. Why have BOI switched to Visa if it is going to cost us more money to use them?

Thanks for posting. Our fees and charges haven't changed as a result of our switch from Laser to Visa Debit cards. We've no control over any additional charges merchants may apply.

We've switched to Visa Debit because it offers customers more convenience and greater security. You can find out more on the features and benefits here.

Thanks,
    Graham

Solair wrote: »
    Could you transfer the money in via Online Banking?

That would still be free, if not a bit slower.

Unfortunately (for situations like this) nobody's issuing Laser Card anymore.

You could also lobby Moneybookers as they're getting a raw deal on their fees!
    Thanks Solair,
    I can transfer via online but it takes about 3 to 5 days.
    BOI said their fees etc haven't changed, but I wasn't complaining about that. They should have made sure with Visa before entering into a contract with them that their existing Laser customers wouldn't get hit with any extra fees either online or not.
    But thank you for your reply and for being so polite.
    P

Hi paydro2012,

Thanks for posting. Our fees and charges haven't changed as a result of our switch from Laser to Visa Debit cards. We've no control over any additional charges merchants may apply.

We've switched to Visa Debit because it offers customers more convenience and greater security. You can find out more on the features and benefits here.

Thanks,
    Graham
    Thanks for your reply Graham.
    I still feel that BOI should have made sure existing Laser customers wouldn't get hit with extra charges for previously free services before entering into a contract with Visa. It is unfair of the bank to force people to use a service like Visa, even if they don't want to.
    cheers
    P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

You're welcome paydro2012,

We feel that the benefits of Visa Debit cards are far greater for our customers than with Laser. However, we understand where you're coming from and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Graham

Advertisement