Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stevie Ray Vaughan died 22 years ago today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I can remember where i was on that day, fantastic guitarist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Brilliant guitarist. His #1 was one of the coolest guitars I've ever seen. Whenever I listen to him I'm reminded of that guy who introduced him on the Live at Montreux double album "and Stevie Ray Vaughn on geeeeeeeetar!!!!".

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

While I do like some of SRV's music, and there is no doubt he was a good guitarist, I have always thought he was very over rated.

Guitar wise, I much prefer Mick Taylor (ex John Mayall and Stones). He (Taylor) never really got a chance to show case his talent with the Stones, probably because he would have stole Keef's thunder.

IMO there is much more varity to Taylor's playing, than there is to SRV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Went to see Stevie back in the 80s on a pier in New York city(bought a classic t-shirt too and had it robbed from my suitcase at some damn airport on a detoured trip home...lol)-he was just awesome-Gregg Allman band played that night too but were just average..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

muincav wrote: »
    Went to see Stevie back in the 80s on a pier in New York city(bought a classic t-shirt too and had it robbed from my suitcase at some damn airport on a detoured trip home...lol)-he was just awesome-Gregg Allman band played that night too but were just average..:)

The jealousy... I can't contain it... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I remember David Bowie on the Tube talking about this great new guitarist who was appearing on his latest album, Let's Dance. He was a phenomenon. This is one of my favourite covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Just saw this thread. I was at his final show back in '90 at Alpine Valley. It was really a surreal experience looking back at it. What an amazing day of music. I remember looking at one of my friends in the middle of SRV's set and saying 'this is the closet we will ever get to seeing Jimi Hendrix'.

So many different emotions come back when I think about that day. 'Such a loss' is the first thing that comes to mind, but grateful for the opportunity to see him one last time.

I remember hearing on the radio the following morning that one of the helicopters was missing. Shamefully, I wished it was anyone other than SRV on that chopper. I remember listening to the radio until that they confirmed that it was Stevie Ray. I just had this dull ache in my gut for a few days afterwards.

It's almost a cliche, but SRV was one of those special performers that comes around once in a generation. He had cleaned up his life and his playing was so much better (than in his drinking days). I only got a chance to see him twice after he cleaned up (the other was with Jeff Beck in '88). I'll remember both of these shows until the day that I die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Great story Mule, thanks for sharing.

SRV was one of the few artists I really liked, but never got to see live.

My first experience of him was during a trip to New York. I was walking through the Village & heard some fantastic guitar music blasting from a record shop.
    I was straight in there to ask what was playing, it was SRV of course. I bought the album that was playing & 1 other, and have built a fair collectionh of his works since.

Fabulous guitarist, more people should hear him play.

Advertisement