Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for a Wordpress book/manual required

• 27-08-2012 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi I need to buy a wordpress book with easy to follow info on the basics for beginners and that would also cover some info on advanced functions related to themes etc.
    I know there are plenty of great websites which I'm also using but I would like a reference book too.

There are lots on the market, can anyone recommend a good up to date one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

I would avoid printed material. Wordpress code and features change so frequently any printed reference quickly becomes out of date.

The codex.wordpress.org site has a lot of material for end users and developers alike.

Use forums - there are lots of helpful people out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The Codex has a bunch of great stuff, highly recommended but just keep an eye for out of date stuff. Any printed book is going to be quite out of date so look at what versions it covers.

I did find a few really good WordPress ebooks, but they were mostly on specific topics (e.g. securing WP, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Thanks guys, I understand what you're saying re books going out of date.
    I'm mainly looking for one that would have the basics/general functions, would these not be more or less similar in different editions of a book?

i.e Microsoft word has been updated over the years but if you had the basics say in 97 you could figure your way around the different versions thereafter, is that not the 'same' for Wordpress more or less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Framed10 wrote: »
    i.e Microsoft word has been updated over the years but if you had the basics say in 97 you could figure your way around the different versions thereafter, is that not the 'same' for Wordpress more or less?

That's pretty much what it's like. Just like in Word 97 to 2003 there were major changes in user interface, etc.

Advertisement