Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with decking

• 27-08-2012 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Im sure a fair few people on here know how slippery decking can be so after a fair few slips and falls by several people, I had the decking taken up.

I've 18m2 of decking laying about out my back, im not giving it away to be reused because after three cracked ribs, id rather it be used as fire wood.. (insert evil smile)

Im just wondering, is it safe to give away to be used as fire wood, it was painted last year (stupidly with fence life and not decking oil) and it's mostly wore off

I just don't wanna give it away and have people ringing me saying theyve been poisoned

Is it safe to use as fire wood, or is a trip to the recycling dump on the cards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I've burned old decking that had been treated previously in a stove with no issues.

But have you considered other uses - such as making raised beds (use it instead of railway sleepers), planters or a fort for the kids... just some thoughts. Google is your friend if you want some ideas for reusing it around the garden..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

burn away, i reckon. Ive done so before with no issues. (Stanley cooker)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Tom Joad wrote: »
    I've burned old decking that had been treated previously in a stove with no issues.

But have you considered other uses - such as making raised beds (use it instead of railway sleepers), planters or a fort for the kids... just some thoughts. Google is your friend if you want some ideas for reusing it around the garden..

Nice Idea Tom !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Tom Joad wrote: »

Yeah, we've made to frames and lids to cover two shores, used 4 lengths to separate the flower bed from the grass, and made a frame to hold the concrete in place for a step were building up, also made a small kinda fence, only two pieces beside one another to stop the dogs getting down the side of the shed.. Maybe I could make some plant pots or something but I've tonnes of ceramic and sleeper ones already

I think I'll just give it to whoever wants it, id never recommend it in Ireland though, it never dries out and is lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

bfocusd wrote: »
    Yeah, we've made to frames and lids to cover two shores, used 4 lengths to separate the flower bed from the grass, and made a frame to hold the concrete in place for a step were building up, also made a small kinda fence, only two pieces beside one another to stop the dogs getting down the side of the shed.. Maybe I could make some plant pots or something but I've tonnes of ceramic and sleeper ones already

I think I'll just give it to whoever wants it, id never recommend it in Ireland though, it never dries out and is lethal

More sweet ideas. How did you make the shore covers just like 4 sides and a lid?
    With the lenghts you used to seperate the flower bed from the grass. Did you sink the decking piece into the soil sideways/ concrete it down? I was going to chop mine up and burn it but you just got me thinking now :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Cut 4 pieces at 45* pinned them together, then cut 5 strips, used 3 pieces of 2x1 to hold them together. And sat it on top, I raised the grass about 3/4 of the way up the decking frame (almost the width of a decking strip) and then used the muck to put some pressure onto it so it stays in place, I've two 3ft high, 2ft wide plant pots on the decking now too.

For the strip at the flower bed, I got treated timber 2x1 off the pallets that the paving came on, pinned them perpendicular to the decking strip and hit them with a mallet into the ground, the decking is down about 2'' into the muck for stability..

The only other thing I can think to use it for is, I've a shore on the paving and I can't find the steel case thing to fit my slabs so I might just use two little strips to fill that up

Woodies want 30e for a shore cover, but it's literally a piece of PVC!!! The pup would put her paw through it, it's that flimsy!!

bfocusd wrote: »

Another idea i have used the old decking for is made two planters and a bench seat between them - very proud of it and always gets compliments - have seen similar in shops for about €250!!! 109_super.jpg - looks something like attached

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

I have made a very strong picnic table out of free old decking, 7' x 4'6" table

A

Askim wrote: »
    I have made a very strong picnic table out of free old decking, 7' x 4'6" table

A

Stick up a picture if you have one handy :)

I will, read somewhere how to do it

• Advertisement

attached is pic of reused decking picnic bench

Rgds
    A

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8640/picnicbench.jpg

Cracking job - looks well..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

As decking wood is generally treated it should not be burnt.
    The treatment varies but many use CCA (Chromium, Copper and Arsenic), of which the first and last are toxic.
    Some of this will off gas during the burning, the rest will be in the ash.
    It should be disposed of properly in accordance with regulations.

BrenC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭chris445

saw a new product in noyeks last week that gives grip to decking. Its a small strip that fits in the grooves of the decking and the top of it has a course grit. It showed on the picture to run 2 lenghts of it along each decking board to add grip to slippery decks. I'll try find a link to a picture now....

http://www.retrogrip.co.uk/slippery-decking/retrogrip-videos/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

chris445 wrote: »
    saw a new product in noyeks last week that gives grip to decking. Its a small strip that fits in the grooves of the decking and the top of it has a course grit. It showed on the picture to run 2 lenghts of it along each decking board to add grip to slippery decks. I'll try find a link to a picture now....

http://www.retrogrip.co.uk/slippery-decking/retrogrip-videos/

Sealent and grips just to do 1 length decking board will most likely be alot more than the actual decking board costs itself.

You will need alot of that grip to do a reasonable sized decking area.

Advertisement