Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hey coach! ... is coaching adults without payment a non-runner in Dublin bball?

Options
  • 27-08-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

a few smaller club teams in the Dublin Mens leagues are trying to function without a designated coach. This seems to be largely due to the small structure of some clubs operating on modest budgets.
    Coaching a decent standard of competitive mens basketball would seem to offer useful experience and the prospect of some good times, so how is it that it seems to be a role few are willing to fill on a voluntary basis?
    Does anyone have good/bad voluntary coaching experiences to tell, or even advice to a club in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

howaya wrote: »
    a few smaller club teams in the Dublin Mens leagues are trying to function without a designated coach. This seems to be largely due to the small structure of some clubs operating on modest budgets.
    Coaching a decent standard of competitive mens basketball would seem to offer useful experience and the prospect of some good times, so how is it that it seems to be a role few are willing to fill on a voluntary basis?
    Does anyone have good/bad voluntary coaching experiences to tell, or even advice to a club in this situation?

I coached school basketball voluntarily for 2 years. (when i was in 5th & 6th year if i remember correctly). I was coaching 1st and 2nd year lads. Its a lot tougher than you'd think and not getting paid makes it tougher :P.

Overall though it was good experience and well worth while. I learnt a lot and it looks good for future work to be able to show that you've done it. At the end of the day if you love the sport it's enjoyable. The only thing is tho, if you're not getting paid, chances are the players aren't paying much if any subscriptions. This usually means the players don't take it as seriously because it's not costing them anything. So it's harder to coach them and keep them focused and dedicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I coached Women's National League for a year (prominent team too!) back in the day for free. It actually cost me money if you include my travel etc. To clarify, i'm not complaining - way I see it, a lot of people gave me a lot of time when I was a teenager and older for nothing but love of the game (and to satisfy their own competitive urges maybe!); and I was happy to return the favour.

Surprised to hear coaches are being paid for anything other than National League (and even then unless it was tied to a wider game development initiative with a greater emphasis on kids and spreading the game I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with this); but then again I suppose even back in the day certain people were getting paid to coach secondary school kids so hey, what would I know?!

Advertisement