Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Horn problem - Toyota Avensis VVTI

Options
  • 27-08-2012 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi All,

First off thanks for yer help on my previous thread when I was having trouble with my gearbox. Guess what, I'm in trouble again! This time its a less pressing problem. My horn has gave up. I opened the fuse box in the engine bay and sure enough the horn fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and the horn left off one blast and blew the fuse again.

I then decided to take out the relay and run a wire from the positive battery terminal to the the primary pin under the relay. Sure enough the horn lets off a blast when I do this (no fuse in)

Could somebody please advise me if this means the issue rests between the relay and the actual horn unit and the relay...I'm guessing it does but am by no means an electrical expert.

If such is the case what might the possible problem be? I'm guessing a wire is either shorting or a problem in the horn unit itself perhaps. If it was a problem with the wiring I wonder would it cause me heartache come NCT time if I ran a new wire from the relay box to the horn unit and neatly wrapped it in with the wiring loom using insulating tape? I'm not overly fussed on the idea of wripping the wiring loom apart. I'm hoping it might be a problem with the horn unit itself as have a spare but didn't get around to fitting it yet.

Car is a 01 Avensis VVTI. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭sheehan12

no horn is a nct fail and no horn in bedroom is too:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭john.west

Would anybody be able to provide me with a more productive reply please that might allow me to go about rectifying the fault

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fit your spare horn and see if it blows the fuse, if it doesn't then its fine. If it does its something else.
    Process of elimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭john.west

Folks I took out the horns and put in my spare ones. No shortage of noise out of her now. One of the actual horns was the offending party. Many thanks for yer replies.

Mods could the thread be closed off please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement