Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

criminal records in ireland..

Options
  • 27-08-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

could some one please tell me,.. was arrested for public disorder and fined 125 in the court..guard told me i will have no records. is this true?.. will this ever show in my police report??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

You said you paid a fine and the Garda said it would not be recorded. Was it a fine or was it a charitable donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

If you were fined and convicted in Court then you have a criminal record, which you would normally be required to disclose when asked the question " Do you have any criminal convictions?".

If, however, you were asked to pay money to a charity or somesuch you may have received the Probation Act, which is not recorded as a criminal record.

You should contact the local District Court Office where you appeared in Court to check the position. Alterntaively, you can make a Data Protection Act request to An Garda Siochana to see what details are held on file for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

dats_right wrote: »
    If you were fined and convicted in Court then you have a criminal record, which you would normally be required to disclose when asked the question " Do you have any criminal convictions?".

If, however, you were asked to pay money to a charity or somesuch you may have received the Probation Act, which is not recorded as a criminal record.

You should contact the local District Court Office where you appeared in Court to check the position. Alterntaively, you can make a Data Protection Act request to An Garda Siochana to see what details are held on file for you.

I agree completely with this. To add to this, if you make a S4 request (data protection request) make sure you spell it out on the application that it is a S4 request, otherwise the Central Vetting Unit of the Gardai will send a pro forma response that tells you nothing (at least to a non-lawyer reading it) and make you believe that you do not have criminal record. I have come across this in practice and it's very misleading. Data Protection Office has been enlightened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

There will always be a record of your arrest and court appearance. What do you mean by police report?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Not sure how the garda could have told you that... :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement