Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sayings that don't make sense.

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water......no idea what this means!

From WikiAnswers:

We use this expression when we want to keep the valuable things when we get rid of the things we don't want. It is usually used in the negative to mean that we don't want to throw out the good stuff when we throw out the bad stuff.
    Is an old saying which means - inadvertently losing or getting rid of something of value while getting rid of something of no value; making a mistake in judgement; an unintended consequence.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water......no idea what this means!

That one is fairly obvious, it is an old saying when people had to throw bath water out as the baths for kids were metal type buckets.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Is it yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Boombastic wrote: »
    Is it yourself?
    'tis. How's she cuttin'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Dun laoire wrote: »
    "He wears his heart on his sleeve"

It means the emotional state is very clear, and, often, that they're quite sensitive.

If one thinks of the heart in the poetic sense as the seat of emotion, it means a person's emotions, or heart, are clearly visible, as though they were on their sleeve.
    Jarren wrote: »
    You are what you eat ?:confused:

Who am I ?

A chicken fillet ?:pac:

Simply, it means our physical and to an extent, emotional and mental states, are strongly influenced by the food we eat.

I think it caught on as a saying because food is inside us and therefore, almost physically a part of us, for a time at least.
    Boombastic wrote: »
    Is it yourself?

'tis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

lazygal wrote: »
    What does that mean, wouldn't spend Christmas?
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    That even at Christmas time they wouldn't spend money

No. It means 'wouldn't spend time' as in Christmas time, because they're so mean: time being free and they wouldn't 'spend' it.
    There's also the saying 'wouldn't spend tomorrow'. Same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Tongue in cheek. Isn't it nearly always inside the cheek?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

There's no smoke without fire.

Yes there is, often there is a lot more of the fucking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

csi vegas wrote: »
    Tongue in cheek. Isn't it nearly always inside the cheek?

No...

I took it to mean that you're trying to keep a straight face when you're pulling someone's leg (where does that one come from, by the way?) - as in, you can't smile or grin if you're tongue is in tour cheek rather than beneath your palette. Still a strange turn of phrase though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

inspired by my comment i was about to write on a tread before it got closed (something to do with a man and a house) and didn't want my wonderfull wit to go to wast. Luckly it fits in nicly here too

I know who wears the pants in that realationship

what does that even mean :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Ladies didn't used to wear pants, it was always the man, him being the one who made the money, so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

"Its no skin off my nose", why not say ear, cheek, chin, why say nose and whats it to do with skin? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

ups a daisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Don't come running to me when you break your legs - the mother is forever saying that to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

A stitch in time gathers no moss. Drunk guy gave me that golden nugget of life advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

"You 3 are a nice pair"

"Happy as Larry".....who the f**k is Larry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    "Happy as Larry".....who the f**k is Larry?

Larry Murphy. He raped and murdered wimmin. That's when he was at his happiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Neeson wrote: »
    Larry Murphy. He raped and murdered wimmin. That's when he was at his happiest.

Touche Neeson :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

1. 'I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse.'

No you couldn't.

2. 'Go away outta that'

Out of what?

I know, i'm being a bit too literal here but that's all i could think of.

'That's all i could think of'...Actually, I could think of more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

'Go away outta that'

Out of what?

That garden.

• Advertisement
Advertisement