Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutered 6 days ago, still not right

• 27-08-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice, male dog neutered last Wednesday. Was groggy first day, back to self next day, eating etc... still sore though of course.

On very short leash walks and due back for check up on Thursday.

Yesterday and today, he seems really depressed, half eating food. Can't seem to get comfy. Took cone off so he could eat but he's going straight to lick aggressively his wound. even with cone on, he's still trying to get at it and is moaning and groaning.

Is this normal? Wound itself looks ok, not infected. Thinking of bringing him back tomorrow rather than wait until Thursday.

My female was spayed last year and seemed to recover much better on day two, didn't have this depression/moaning so not sure if the male is diff?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

both of my male dogs were neutered and this definitely does not sound normal - they were back to normal within a couple of days

I would definitely bring him to the vet immediately - could be an (internal) infection or something.

By his behaviour, he's obviously in pain - you need to get him checked out asap

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Yes I would definitely advise you to bring him back early. Signs of poor appetite are a bit worrying. Is he urinating and defecating ok ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

My little doggy, when she was spayed, wasn't right until she got the cone off. Don't know how spaying and neutering differ in recovery time but all dogs are different anyway. I found that the pain medication that the vet gave me to give to her was making her feel sick so maybe that's the issue here? Bring him to the vet anyway just to make sure. Just don't panic. I panicked when I brought my dog home as she is my first dog and hadn't a clue what to expect. I thought she'd never be normal again but she's even better now than before :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Thanks guys, will bring him back tomorrow rather than wait until Thursday.

Just find it odd that he was ok for the first few days but now he seems off. Hes finished his course of tablets and was ok on them.

He is peeing regularly, and has done at least one poo a day.

The cone is seriously annoying him. He just sits with hs head down, waiting for it to all off which it won't. I took the cone off my girl on day2 and she was vibe (didn't lick at all) but he seems to want to go straight for the wound.

On day two he was ready to play again, but now has no interest whatsoever.

Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Just to update. His wound looked redder the morning. Just back from vet who confirmed it is slightly infected.

This happened because when the original drugs wore off he was trying to get at the wound with the cone still on and the cone ended up rubbing off the wound a bit (the rim of it), which aggravated it.

So bigger cone, antibiotics and more painkillers and thirty quid lighter!

Both the vet and nurse really made me feel it was my fault with poor aftercare but he had the cone on all the time, bar once on second day when he got it off, then went straight back on. Had they given me a bigger cone he would probably be fully recovered by now!

Back for final checkup nxt week

• Advertisement
Advertisement