Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i stop stuff moving around

• 27-08-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

When i'm designing i'm on a 27inch screen, when it all looks class but when i command + or - the text and buttons move even though i;ve kept them inside the container.

I'm using absolute and relative positioning on these items, is there any way to stop them moving, if using absolute and only using top and left, do i need to add a right and bottom in order to make sure they stay in the same place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tatrman

When i'm designing i'm on a 27inch screen, when it all looks class but when i command + or - the text and buttons move even though i;ve kept them inside the container.

I'm using absolute and relative positioning on these items, is there any way to stop them moving, if using absolute and only using top and left, do i need to add a right and bottom in order to make sure they stay in the same place?

you need to be more specific. From the above it is not clear what you try to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

okay, i have my page and everything is on it, then I have a facebook like widget, this widget keeps moving around when i increase or decrease the size of the screen, on other sites everything usually stays in the one place when you zoom in and out, so how do i make it stay in the one place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sounds like you're increasing the page size rather than actually changing resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It sound like your positioning is incorrect. Perhaps your element is positioned absolutely in respect to the body. If you have to position something then I would suggest that you position the the child absolutely in a relatively positioned parent.

Ask yourself - Do you need to position the element? Can you float it instead and use +/- margins if necessary?

But you really should post some code or a link to help us understand exactly what the problem is because we are shooting in the dark here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

the relative positioning worked, thanks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement