Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of textbooks

• 27-08-2012 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

lm110 computer games development in UL,any ideas as to how much textbooks will cost for year 1? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

lm110 computer games development in UL,any ideas as to how much textbooks will cost for year 1? thanks

€0.

The books that are "required", aren't required. You can get a copy in the library if you want a read of something, but I wouldn't buy anything for Y1 tbh.

I bought Tanenbaum (you'll be asked to get it in Comp Org), and it was practically useless for the exam. It came in handy in Y2, but not the extent that it was worth the ~€60 I spent on it.

If you MUST buy a book, go into the SU and ask the reception staff. They can sometimes have books for half the price you'll pay in Mahony's.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

Thanks very much...you are the bearer of good news!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Just for the bigger recommended text, get a loan of it asap because I guarantee you that it will be very hard to get in the middle of the year. Had to wait 5 weeks on a book once because it was booked so far back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Also if you must buy one. Try online so much cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

for LM110 and LM051, I think its worth buying a programming book as you'll make use of it over the 4 years

we used 'Introduction to Java Programming', varies from €50 to €70, but its more than an introduction, 1300+ pages.

• Advertisement

mid wrote: »
    for LM110 and LM051, I think its worth buying a programming book as you'll make use of it over the 4 years

we used 'Introduction to Java Programming', varies from €50 to €70, but its more than an introduction, 1300+ pages.

+1 on this.

It's one of the best textbooks I have. Useful as a reference if you're ever just working on something random.

Author is Daniel Liang. You'll have to get it in 2nd year for a module, but it wouldn't hurt to get it in first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

any idea about business studies is it the same case as the op ?

any idea about business studies is it the same case as the op ?

I lived with a few business students, and they have to buy certain books. The lecturers require each student to have a copy as there's an access code in each.

That's just what I heard though, I'm sure a business student will probably correct me on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

How about the cost of books for science choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

How about the cost of books for science choice?

You generally won't need any books for Science Choice maybe the Chemistry I + II which are the course notes which will do you for both first year semesters. Other than that all the notes and information are given by the lecturers so just print them off and put them in a file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Get eBooks, waaay cheaper than physical books.

Daniel S wrote: »
    Get eBooks, waaay cheaper than physical books.

Boo-urns! eBooks SUCK!

I like being able to underline stuff and quickly flick through random sections 2 minutes before and exam, which I can't do with eBooks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Boo-urns! eBooks SUCK!

I like being able to underline stuff and quickly flick through random sections 2 minutes before and exam, which I can't do with eBooks.
    I don't bother underlining anything in a book, I just write it out again (so I'll actually learn it).

Plus, there are *alternative* ways of getting eBooks if they're still to expensive ;). 99% of the time on of your friends will have the eBook :P .

Advertisement