Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Limerick a nice place to spend a couple of nights?

• 27-08-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I was just about to book the Absolute hotel for a couple of nights this weekend for a break away for me and my boyfriend, my boyfriend is a bit iffy about it as he heard some stories...It's not as bad as the media and people make it out to be is it? I don't really believe it is, would love to go somewhere different and the absolute hotel looks great! Any help in deciding appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Its defiantly not as bad as the media make it out to be! The absolute is a lovely hotel, and only a few minutes outside the center of town!
    If you haven't been here for a weekend away before then give it a shot!
    We're a nice bunch really!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

When you say somewhere different, where are you normally?, limerick wouldn't be my first choice but it's not all that bad depending on what's on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

It is if you go to the right places and behave as you would in any other city ie - walking down dodgy looking streets at night.

Absolute is a nice hotel. I like the bar :pac:

If you are looking for a nice dinner try the Hamptons. You could then grab cocktails in the Savoy bar nextdoor

After that, take a stroll up Bedford row. If you go straight ahead you have Thomas Street with Aubars, Mickey Martins, Still House and The Blind Pig

If you go left down O' Connell Street you should really only head to The Market Quarter where there are loads of pubs and two clubs.

Stay away from Cruises Street/Williams Street at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cat87

Cool thanks! Is the hotel in a nice area? I've persuaded him :)

It is if you go to the right places and behave as you would in any other city ie - walking down dodgy looking streets at night.

Absolute is a nice hotel. I like the bar :pac:

If you are looking for a nice dinner try the Hamptons. You could then grab cocktails in the Savoy bar nextdoor

After that, take a stroll up Bedford row. If you go straight ahead you have Thomas Street with Aubars, Mickey Martins, Still House and The Blind Pig

If you go left down O' Connell Street you should really only head to The Market Quarter where there are loads of pubs and two clubs.

Stay away from Cruises Street/Williams Street at night.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will remember to avoid to those streets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Honestly? Ireland is relatively small but its still large enough that unfortunately Limerick should be somewhere near the last on your list of holiday destinations.

- Why? Thats because Limerick has been poorly planned, neglected, mismanaged, under-represented and fcuked over more than almost anywhere else in Ireland.

It also has chronically abysmal policing whereby both yourself and your possessions are yours by luck and chance alone.

The result is a grey, bleak, un-policed area with few highlights to recommend it and even fewer that you could hope to visit after dark and still make it back to your hotel intact.

Sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

cat87 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations, I will remember to avoid to those streets!

Limerick is an excellent destination imo as it offers great value. Absolute is in a great location for shopping, not sure at night. But crime figures were released recently & Limerick is way down the list. What it doesn't have are the attractions somewhere like Galway has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Limerick is a really nice place to spend a chilled weekend to relax. I'd recommend the Strand, George or Savoy over other hotels, simply because of their locations.

You can wander round the cathedrals, castle take in lunch, sit on Thomas street for a coffee or hot chocolate and do a bit of shopping in the Crescent.

Overall it's not much different than any other Irish city or town of similar size. You can't compare it to Dublin or Cork, as it's like comparing fruit with garden furniture, they're not comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Don't forget the bleedin market on a Saturday, it cost us a fortune!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Savoy is in a good location, the Absolute is nice, but slightly further out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I think it was a bit naive to ask this question on the Limerick forum.

I think it was a bit naive to ask this question on the Limerick forum.

I disagree. If you asked anyone from any part of Ireland, is their county a good place to go to, they would in all probability say 'yes'.

But the thing is, everywhere in Ireland is a great destination. Just a shame that the media likes to have a pop at Limerick. For instance, how many of us have met rugby supporters & told us Limerick is a great place to stay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

liammur wrote: »
    I disagree. If you asked anyone from any part of Ireland, is their county a good place to go to, they would in all probability say 'yes'.

But the thing is, everywhere in Ireland is a great destination. Just a shame that the media likes to have a pop at Limerick. For instance, how many of us have met rugby supporters & told us Limerick is a great place to stay?
    I admire your positivity, but the truth is that everywhere isn't a great destination. It makes sense to ask here for good local advice having made a booking, but it probably doesn't make sense to ask people 'is your town any good', because you are only going to get one answer.

Personally, I find Limerick depressing and run down these days. I'd love to say otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Just remember to turn left and over bridge when you come out of that hotel( if walking )... Turning right could be an experience.
    The Market on Saturdays is really good... You get what you pay for, for the most part it's really good value.
    It wouldn't be top of my list of places to visit though unless your really only going on the lash... It's the same as everywhere else in that regard.
    Cornstore would be my restaurant of choice...Thomas street.
    Marty.

The Absolute was booked out for the Saturday, so I was thinking about the Limerick Strand hotel? Really mixed reviews about Limerick.... it's just me and my boyfriend so we wouldn't really be going on a mad one, just a quiet weekend..

Thanks everyone! I will let you know how it goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Yes I'd defo go with The Strand, I'd rate it above The Absolute tbh!
    Literally 5 minute walk tops from the middle of town, in a good area and a lovely hotel!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FlowerBunny123

liammur wrote: »

But the thing is, everywhere in Ireland is a great destination.?

Wake up,will you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

The Absolute was booked out for the Saturday, so I was thinking about the Limerick Strand hotel? Really mixed reviews about Limerick.... it's just me and my boyfriend so we wouldn't really be going on a mad one, just a quiet weekend..

The Savoy has an offer at the moment €95 pps, deluxe room, bollinger champagne on ice when you arrive, dinner in the Hamptons restaurant and full Irish the next morning. Quality hotel and near all the nightlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The Strand is a better hotel and it's in a very nice area and it's close to the city centre. You'll enjoy your time in Limerick. What weekend are you planning on coming? We could give you a better idea of what's on that particular weekend that you might be interested in checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We have always had a great time anytime we've stayed in Limerick, definitely go for it.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Never been in The Absolute but you won't go wrong with the Clarion

Lots to see and do around Limerick

To start with do a walking tour, a local history expert will bring you around
    http://www.shannonheritage.com/Attractions/KingJohnsCastle/WalkingToursbyLimerickCivicTrust/

Hang around the city during the day, look around

Head out for a meal

And then great potential for a pub crawl ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I stayed in Limerick with my girlfriend a few months ago for a few days. I'm ashamed to say I was a little iffy about it because of stories that I'd heard in the media etc.

I had a great weekend, met some really nice people when we were out at night, stayed in a pub after hours with the staff and locals.

Great weekend and I'd go back no problem.

Don't listen to the shîte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

If you go with the strand don't forget the swimsuit/ mankini
    They have a 20metre pool(saline or something else not chlorine anyway!... At least it used be) hydrotherapy pool ,jacuzzi steam room,sauna and plunge pool.
    Food in the bar there is really good... No need to go to the restaurant IMO.
    That deal in the hamptons sounds good... Nice restaurant there but cornstore pips it IMO.
    Marty.

I admire your positivity, but the truth is that everywhere isn't a great destination. It makes sense to ask here for good local advice having made a booking, but it probably doesn't make sense to ask people 'is your town any good', because you are only going to get one answer.

Personally, I find Limerick depressing and run down these days. I'd love to say otherwise.

I agree with a lot in what you say. Limerick is not a tourist destination, like Liverpool isn't in the UK. But they are fine for a weekend. Ireland is a very small country, so people probably have been in Galway/Killarney etc and want to see somewhere different,,,and I say why not. Where I do agree is, the city should be doing far, far better than it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

alan1990 wrote: »
    Yes I'd defo go with The Strand, I'd rate it above The Absolute tbh!
    Literally 5 minute walk tops from the middle of town, in a good area and a lovely hotel!

If you do stay in the Strand, there's a lovely little pub up the road called the Curraggower that's great for a spot of lunch, just ask hotel staff for directions but it's no more than 3/4 min walk. They have music on Sundays but you could be gone by then I imagine.

Market is worth a visit- Mickey Martins pub if you fancy a drink or two- and a Sunday drive to Kilaloe or Lough Gur both 20mins outside the city.. Though a guide is preferable for the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Raiser wrote: »
    Honestly? Ireland is relatively small but its still large enough that unfortunately Limerick should be somewhere near the last on your list of holiday destinations.

- Why? Thats because Limerick has been poorly planned, neglected, mismanaged, under-represented and fcuked over more than almost anywhere else in Ireland.

It also has chronically abysmal policing whereby both yourself and your possessions are yours by luck and chance alone.

The result is a grey, bleak, un-policed area with few highlights to recommend it and even fewer that you could hope to visit after dark and still make it back to your hotel intact.

Sad but true.

What a heap of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

op dont have any opinions of Limerick before you head down, this way you have nothing to judge the place on.

I would recommend heading to the crescent shopping centre located in the dooradoyle suburb, the biggest in the region.

Also Thomond park and king johns castle can be an interesting attraction, cool views over the city from king johns too :)

• Advertisement

I booked the Strand hotel :) It looks really nice! Going this weekend! Hopefully it will be a nice weekend. Thanks for the tips!

Advertisement