Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gloss paint brush cleaning

• 27-08-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi I just wondering what is the correct way to clean gloss from paint brush. I have tried white spirits but when brush dries they go hard and I have to throw them out

Thanking You :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

If they are going hard I'd say they are not clean enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

I left them steep over night in white spirits and then left them to dry. correct me if this is wrong. Should I wash them in water as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

You need to stir the brush around in the white spirits, push the bristles against the side of the jar your using with the white spirits in. Once the paint is disolved dry the brush with kitchen roll and make sure all the white spirits is off the brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Villaines

Truth is that it's difficult and uses a lot of white spirit. Water based gloss for your future exploits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...as the same make of gloss paint can be had in water and white spirit soluble kinds and this will happen if you dont clean the brushes thoroughly in the correct solvent. Also wash out white spirits and clean with hot soapy water after cleaning out all the paint from the white spirit soluble paint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I buy cheap brushes and throw them away when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

Thanks for all the advice. Will look at water based gloss.I didnt know it existed. If this doesnt work, I will just use cheap brush and throw it away as its cheaper than buting white spirits. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 boodles

I used to buy cheap bruses and throw them out BUT more recently I took on a bigger job with internal doors and did not want brush hairs on white paint (I found cheaper brushes did this) so I did some googling and came up with the following and it works

I bought good brushes
    After use, steep in white spiriits up to top of bristles for a short time
    really squish around the brushes in the white spirits before you take them out
    cover in hair condition and wrap in clingfilm until next use
    Next time you go to use them, wash them in washing up liquid and hottish water and let them dry off

I still have the same brushes after dealing with 12 internal doors with undercoat and gloss. And the better quality brushes dont lose as many hairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Leaving brushes in white spirit damages the bristles. Best to get small amount of white spirit in pot give brush a good swill pushing down on the brush,then empty and get another small bit of clean white spirit and repeat then getting the brush between the palms of your hands and spin the brush to get all the white spirit out.This should be enough but you could then wash out further with washing liquid and warm water.
    Another tip,if your going to use the brush again the next day or few days leave the brush with water just covering bristles as this will stop the brush drying out.
    Cheap brushes =crap job,invest in good brushes and look after them you can pick up packs of purdys cheap enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've had the same 20 or so good quality paintbrushes for 10 years or more, all used with oil based paints, here's my cleaning regime:

Remove as much wet paint from the brushes with paper towels, before giving a good clean in a pot of white spirits- don't leave brushes sitting in this overnight, ruins the shape and doesn't actually help with cleaning. Use an old toothbrush to scrub the stock of the bristles and around the ferule. Once you've got most of the paint out in this way, next step is hot (not quite boiling) water and washing powder in a container, working the brush in the mix. You may need to do this again. Rinse off with cold water and dry. For the finish work a pea-sized amount of the missus's hair conditioner into the bristles, wrap in newspaper and allow to dry naturally. Conditioner works a treat and allows you to shape the bristles and prolongs their life. My last tip- when using oil based paints there is no need to clean straight after use- if working later with same brush. Just wrap in plastic/ cling and put in the freezer! This prevents drying out and brush can be removed and used later (next day or week even). This works and I've been doing this for years with great results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice. Will look at water based gloss.I didnt know it existed. If this doesnt work, I will just use cheap brush and throw it away as its cheaper than buting white spirits. :D
    most of europe uses water base paint,the big problem with it is if you paint a large area [like a door for ect] it dries to quick and it can leave you with a streaky finish,for solvent gloss paint brush cleaning wash first in spirit or at a push petrol,then wash out the brush in warm soapy water,i worked in the paint industry on developing water based acrylic paints,under a EU directive by the year 2000 as use of solvent paints was to be phased out,as they are considered bad and a health risk,but as big money companies always get their way its not been enforced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Well I usually get all the excess paint off the brush first using either news paper of paper towels. Then I have 3 glass jars with white spirits which I fill up half way.1. dunk into the first, gets a lot off. 2. dunk into the second gives it another wash and then 3. for the final dregs. Thats is. But to be honest that only if they are good brushes. If I do a big job I just buy a middle of the road set of brushes and chuck after use!! Thought I never heard of water base gloss I will look for that next time myself ...:))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Hi I just wondering what is the correct way to clean gloss from paint brush. I have tried white spirits but when brush dries they go hard and I have to throw them out

Thanking You :)
    Try petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

a company in ireland that makes waterbased gloss is,...colortrend based at celbridge co kildare.

Advertisement