Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercing ears

Options
  • 27-08-2012 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Its something I would like to get done sometime. I had them pierced three times when I was younger. The last time about 15 years ago. All three times they got infected and closed up.

I don't know why I was so stupid as not to ask what type studs they use. I thought I wouldn't have a problem. Is there or was there a standard type of stud they used?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Where did you get them done?

I would only get pierced in a professional piercing studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Get them done with a needle (not a gun) in a proper piercing studio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I got them done is a chemist and jewellers. And all pierced with a gun. Are there different options with metals? I think I may have a nickel allergy also. I got a rash from a belt buckle a few years ago. I changed to wearing a nickel free and plastic belt and it cleared up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Get them done with a needle (not a gun) in a proper piercing studio
    what studio was it?

they generally use surgical steel. and did they advise you on proper aftercare?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭piercingdanny

The jewellery used in piercing guns are usually of low quality and full of nickel so the reaction you had previously was probably a nickel reaction rather than an infection. If you go to a professional piercing studio have a good chat with the piercer and if you feel comfortable then getting them done with a needle is your best option really. Make sure they are using Grade 23 Titanium or Niobium jewelery as these are both nickel free and you won't have any problems. Once they're healed fully (6-8 weeks) you could use either of the metals mentioned above or ASTM F138 Surgical steel and you shouldn't have any bad reactions this time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Links234 wrote: »
    what studio was it?

they generally use surgical steel. and did they advise you on proper aftercare?

I'm not the OP was just advising :)

Advertisement