Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kerry Way

Options
  • 27-08-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi There,

Has anyone walked The Kerry Way? I was planning on taking it on next year and was just wondering how tough it was (climbs, remoteness etc) I was hoping to do it alone - am I a mad woman??

Siobhan37

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RORYBBELLOWS8

Hi Siobhan

The Kerry way is a wonderful walk. Parts of it can be easy. Glencar to Glenbeigh for example, other parts can be tough enough, Black valley to Glencar. My advice would be to plan well ahead. Most of the guest houses/B+Bs will provide a packed lunch and will send your non walking luggage to the next location. Plan for all weather, bring wet and dry weather gear with you in your backpack. Bring plenty of water, a platypus and a couple of extra liters at least. In summer you could be walking 25 to 30k on some stages in 25+ degree heat. In winter the main problem is the short days. Leave as early in the morning as possible. Bring a map and a compass.
    My advise would be to not travel alone. A twisted ankle in the middle of nowhere can be a problem. I have often done stages where I have not met another person along the way. Again it is a fantastic walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 siobhan37

Hello Rory,

Thanks for reply.

I am hoping to cover 40km per day - is this unrealistic? Are there parts of the way that could slow you right down?

Thinking of doing it next April or May - hopefully won't be too wet under foot and not too hot either (but with Irish weather you never know!!!)

Thanks again for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RORYBBELLOWS8

40k per day might be unrealistic. The stages vary in length, the shortest being about 20k the longest about 30k. I averaged as an experienced walker about 6 to 7 hours per stage.

Here is the trail breakdown:

Killarney – Black Valley: 22km
    Black Valley – Glencar: 20km
    Glencar – Glenbeigh: 13km
    Glenbeigh – Cahersiveen:28km
    Cahersiveen – Waterville:30km
    Waterville – Caherdaniel:28km
    Caherdaniel – Sneem: 19km
    Sneem – Kenmare: 30km
    Kenmare – Killarney: 25km

Of course you will get distracted when you enter each town.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I have done sections of several stages but like you it is a goal to do the lot. I agree with Rory about the dangers of doing it alone, I have rarely met other walkers on the off-road sections. Maybe book your accommodadion in advance, give them your phone no and ETA so that they can raise the alarm if you don't turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 siobhan37

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for reply. I am hoping to run/walk the Kerry Way over 5/6 days. The plan is that my Hubby will be support crew (I was support crew for him earlier this year for cycle from Mizen to Malin :)).

My concerns are firstly is it safe enough for a woman to travel in alone and secondly how tough are the tough sections. Hoping to cover 40km a day in 10km stretches with break between. At the min I can cover 10km in an hour but this is on roads. Have been doing a little trail running and notice that going is slower. What I am wondering basically is it likely that 10km could take 2 or 3 hours in some sections?

Any and all advice welcome

Siobhan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

OK, this is a more serious attempt that I had realised! IMHO with a backup team it is safe, but please do not take my word for it. Try contacting Kerry Mountain Rescue (site http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/index.html), briefly outline what you are planning, and I am sure they will be happy to advise you.

Advertisement